The Maelstrom Mock 2023 (With Thanks to Russell Wilson edition)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Will I get any of these right?

Maybe like, one of them, judging by history. I only got Abe Lucas right last year, but had him at 41.

It's a special year. Seattle has the 2nd most valuable war chest of draft capital this year. It's not the best class to have this type of capital in, but there are some studs here. I've NEVER been as unsure about the direction they'll go as I am right now, so I'll just jump in.

Round 1, Pick 5: Will Anderson Jr., Edge, Alabama

Skysports will anderson jr 6131442

Here we go. Seattle lands the premier defender in the class who appears to be a perfect fit. Anderson is an extremely productive SEC defender who absolutely blew up 2021 with a 17 sack season, appearing as a dominant force who had the juice to do whatever he wanted. 2022 saw Alabama moving him around, even inside as far as playing the 4, to the detriment of his personal statistics. Despite this, he still notched double-digit sacks.

Anderson sets the edge, plays with great effort, and doesn't lose his battles very often. A bona fide blue chip with excellent character.

If Anderson is gone, look out. It's probably Anthony Richardson if he is, and that excites me too.

Trade: Seattle trades R1/P20 and R5/P154 to the New York Giants for R1/P26 and R3/P89

Round 1, Pick 26: Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson

F5d6452f93334612b7e6734bb3ff6233

Seattle will likely try to slide down a bit from 20. 20 is a bit of a mess - lots of similar talents in that range, so they'll try to extract value. This is going to be a hard market to trade down in, so Seattle takes a slight value loss on the trade chart as the Giants move up to secure a wide receiver.

Trenton is an uncommon athlete at linebacker, and he'll slot in as a weak-side linebacker to aid an ailing group that may be missing Jordyn Brooks to start the year. Bobby is a reinforcement at the position, but he's a mike linebacker who'll likely see reduced snaps due to his waning athleticism and lack of lateral agility. Trenton helps shore up what is both an immediate need and a position where youth is needed. Trenton can rush the passer, help in run support, and fly sideline to sideline. He's 235, so not a massive weight outlier.

Two picks in, and the Seattle defense has two players with cornerstone potential and a significantly faster defense.

Round 2, Pick 37: Mazi Smith, IDL, Michigan

4e87 b084 a558c61d4e6d large16x9 AP22260650070730

This almost feels like a predestined pick. Mazi is a big man on the IDL whose pretty damn hard to move off his spot, and Seattle has a real need for help in the middle with Woods being out and Mone having serious health concerns.

Seattle doesn't really undervalue the interior, either. You'll recall their trade up for Jarran Reed a few years back.

They basically threw out the DL from 2022. They're pissed about the yardage ceded on the ground, and they will probably look to draft high to fix it.

Round 2, Pick 52: Marvin Mims, WR, Oklahoma

5f820135de798image

Let's get Geno some help.

Lockett is aging and WR3 continues to be a need. It's still an area where they've got to look to improve. Mims fits the profile to a tee, with deep sub-4.4 speed and decent production, as well as added value in the return game. Look out for him to be rated well on Seattle's board. Mims can play outside or from the slot.

Round 3, Pick 83: JL Skinner, SAF, Boise State

Maxresdefault

Look out. Seattle just grabbed a hitter.

Seattle believes in Jamal Adams - Adams is a supreme talent who flies all over the field, but he needs a hedge. New addition Love is versatile, but he's looking like more of a nickel than a full time strong safety.

Skinner is the hedge. He has an imposing frame at 6'4", 209. He absolutely eats space in pursuit and has a real nose for the ball. They desperately need attitude on defense, and Skinner has it.

Round 3, Pick 89: Roschon Johnson, RB, Texas

Seattle needs a back who can fill in the gaps, and no one in this class does that as well as the supremely well-rounded Roschon Johnson. Roschon has a great frame and size who is used to being a great RB2, having been behind Bijan. Roschon himself averaged nearly 6 yards a carry this past year. He's got limited top end speed, but he can get some tough yards. He blocks well, and he also can hold his own receiving.

This is a thin class for running backs with that type of profile. Seattle moves to secure their guy here to run the backfield with K9 and keep the offense on schedule.

Round 4, Pick 123: Braeden Daniels, OG, Utah

Utah iol braeden danielsjfif

Seattle has not hidden their interest in Daniels, who has visited. Daniels is a college tackle who'll be best served inside. He's agile, savvy, and has more power than his weight would suggest. This is Dickerson's type of guard.

TRADE: Seattle trades R5/P151 and a 2024 6th Rounder to move up to 141 with Las Vegas.

Round 5, Pick 141: Cory Trice Jr., CB, Purdue

B purdue nfl draft scouting report 2023 2 1024x683

Mike Jackson has performed decently, but Seattle has the chance here to snag a traditional Seahawky corner here in Trice. Trice has the prerequisite height and length combination (6'3" with 32.75" arms) to fit on the boundary. Adept in press and run coverage, and a willing tackler. Has a knack for enveloping receivers and swatting the ball away. Doesn't have concerning agility or speed issues with decent explosion numbers at combine.

Round 6, Pick 198: Jon Gaines II, IOL, UCLA

Gaines is a better prospect than his draft stock reflects. He's a smart player with the athleticism Seattle looks for. 5 flat 40 and a 4.45 shuttle, both of which are coveted Seattle testing numbers (and the sub-4.5 shuttle is a strong correlation to NFL success.)

Gaines will go IOL, and in Seattle, he'll be looked at as a center first to compete with Evan Brown. He's got a really synergistic profile for center.

Round 7, Pick 237: Calvin Avery, NT, Illinois

Avery will likely be gone here, I think. The consensus big board has him at 400 overall, but he's got visits and whatnot and just seems too solid to honestly slip to UDFA territory.

Avery is a thick dude with scary strength. Also isn't easy to move. Prototypical NT brought in alongside Mazi to help fill the void Woods and an injured Mone leave.

Welp, there ya go. Let's see how this all shakes out, my friends.

Last edited:

Hollandhawk

Reaction score

Maybe like, one of them, judging by history. I only got Abe Lucas right last year, but had him at 41.

It's a special year. Seattle has the 2nd most valuable war chest of draft capital this year. It's not the best class to have this type of capital in, but there are some studs here. I've NEVER been as unsure about the direction they'll go as I am right now, so I'll just jump in.

View attachment 58846

Here we go. Seattle lands the premier defender in the class who appears to be a perfect fit. Anderson is an extremely productive SEC defender who absolutely blew up 2021 with a 17 sack season, appearing as a dominant force who had the juice to do whatever he wanted. 2022 saw Alabama moving him around, even inside as far as playing the 4, to the detriment of his personal statistics. Despite this, he still notched double-digit sacks.

Anderson sets the edge, plays with great effort, and doesn't lose his battles very often. A bona fide blue chip with excellent character.

If Anderson is gone, look out. It's probably Anthony Richardson if he is, and that excites me too.

Trade: Seattle trades R1/P20 and R5/P154 to the New York Giants for R1/P26 and R3/P89

View attachment 58847

Seattle will likely try to slide down a bit from 20. 20 is a bit of a mess - lots of similar talents in that range, so they'll try to extract value. This is going to be a hard market to trade down in, so Seattle takes a slight value loss on the trade chart as the Giants move up to secure a wide receiver.

Trenton is an uncommon athlete at linebacker, and he'll slot in as a weak-side linebacker to aid an ailing group that may be missing Jordyn Brooks to start the year. Bobby is a reinforcement at the position, but he's a mike linebacker who'll likely see reduced snaps due to his waning athleticism and lack of lateral agility. Trenton helps shore up what is both an immediate need and a position where youth is needed. Trenton can rush the passer, help in run support, and fly sideline to sideline. He's 235, so not a massive weight outlier.

Two picks in, and the Seattle defense has two players with cornerstone potential and a significantly faster defense.

View attachment 58848

This almost feels like a predestined pick. Mazi is a big man on the IDL whose pretty damn hard to move off his spot, and Seattle has a real need for help in the middle with Woods being out and Mone having serious health concerns.

Seattle doesn't really undervalue the interior, either. You'll recall their trade up for Jarran Reed a few years back.

They basically threw out the DL from 2022. They're pissed about the yardage ceded on the ground, and they will probably look to draft high to fix it.

View attachment 58849

Lockett is aging and WR3 continues to be a need. It's still an area where they've got to look to improve. Mims fits the profile to a tee, with deep sub-4.4 speed and decent production, as well as added value in the return game. Look out for him to be rated well on Seattle's board. Mims can play outside or from the slot.

View attachment 58850

Seattle believes in Jamal Adams - Adams is a supreme talent who flies all over the field, but he needs a hedge. New addition Love is versatile, but he's looking like more of a nickel than a full time strong safety.

Skinner is the hedge. He has an imposing frame at 6'4", 209. He absolutely eats space in pursuit and has a real nose for the ball. They desperately need attitude on defense, and Skinner has it.

View attachment 58851

Seattle needs a back who can fill in the gaps, and no one in this class does that as well as the supremely well-rounded Roschon Johnson. Roschon has a great frame and size who is used to being a great RB2, having been behind Bijan. Roschon himself averaged nearly 6 yards a carry this past year. He's got limited top end speed, but he can get some tough yards. He blocks well, and he also can hold his own receiving.

This is a thin class for running backs with that type of profile. Seattle moves to secure their guy here to run the backfield with K9 and keep the offense on schedule.

View attachment 58852

Seattle has not hidden their interest in Daniels, who has visited. Daniels is a college tackle who'll be best served inside. He's agile, savvy, and has more power than his weight would suggest. This is Dickerson's type of guard.

TRADE: Seattle trades R5/P151 and a 2024 6th Rounder to move up to 141 with Las Vegas.

View attachment 58853

Mike Jackson has performed decently, but Seattle has the chance here to snag a traditional Seahawky corner here in Trice. Trice has the prerequisite height and length combination (6'3" with 32.75" arms) to fit on the boundary. Adept in press and run coverage, and a willing tackler. Has a knack for enveloping receivers and swatting the ball away. Doesn't have concerning agility or speed issues with decent explosion numbers at combine.

View attachment 58854

Gaines is a better prospect than his draft stock reflects. He's a smart player with the athleticism Seattle looks for. 5 flat 40 and a 4.45 shuttle, both of which are coveted Seattle testing numbers (and the sub-4.5 shuttle is a strong correlation to NFL success.)

Gaines will go IOL, and in Seattle, he'll be looked at as a center first to compete with Evan Brown. He's got a really synergistic profile for center.

View attachment 58855

Avery will likely be gone here, I think. The consensus big board has him at 400 overall, but he's got visits and whatnot and just seems too solid to honestly slip to UDFA territory.

Avery is a thick dude with scary strength. Also isn't easy to move. Prototypical NT brought in alongside Mazi to help fill the void Woods and an injured Mone leave.

I saw some impressive footage of Calvin Avery, but maybe that was against inferior competition? He looked like a wrecking ball.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Personally, I'm hoping for a QB at 5 and not a big fan of Simpson, but I can't say I would be too upset if this was the teams haul.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Glad to see some love for Mims. I don’t see him talked about enough. Would love to see him on the Hawks.

Probably only point of disagreement is Skinner, but I can see why people would want to bet on the traits.

Overall, I would be very satisfied with this draft. Probably to the same degree as I was last year.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Glad to see some love for Mims. I don’t see him talked about enough. Would love to see him on the Hawks.

Probably only point of disagreement is Skinner, but I can see why people would want to bet on the traits.
Mims totally feels like he's hiding in plain sight. He's definitely their kind of guy.

Skinner I get the trepidation on. I do love how quickly he can cover ground in pursuit of ballcarriers though. I don't think he could be counted on as a plug-and-play plus starter, but boy, those hits are intoxicating.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Mims totally feels like he's hiding in plain sight. He's definitely their kind of guy.

Skinner I get the trepidation on. I do love how quickly he can cover ground in pursuit of ballcarriers though. I don't think he could be counted on as a plug-and-play plus starter, but boy, those hits are intoxicating.

Totally understand on Skinner.

I just don’t see the consistent physicality that I saw from Kam at VT, and I think, for better or worse, Skinner will be living in that shadow day one.

And to my untrained eye, I see stiff hips. Not just in his ability to be a fluid mover in coverage, but in how he gets north and south too. It’s been a hot minute since I watched him, but I remember feeling like his play speed was slow and clunky (if that can be used to describe a football player.)

But without knowing how he’s being coached, what his conditioning is, etc. it’s hard to know if it’s indicative of a deficiency or he just hasn’t been harnessed right. It’s why I wouldn’t hate the pick. It’s not one I would probably make, but I understand the process.

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Good read and I'd be happy with this draft. Thanks for the mock.

20 is an interesting spot. I expect for there to be great value at edge at 20 with someone like Murphy or N. Smith being there. I also expect one of the top tier players to fall close to 20 (my personal prediction is one of the two two CBs). However, if no one falls and we go edge at 5, I agree that value at 20 gets a bit tricky, and that trading back a bit makes sense.

For me, one of my ideal non-trade scenarios is going Carter at 5 and edge at 20. I'd love Anderson at 5, but that would create questions at 20.

ivotuk

Reaction score
As always, great stuff. I'd be 'Pumped and Jacked,' and might even smoke some weed to calm my heart. "This is the Big One! You hear that Elizabeth?"

On a side note, I loved "Fred Sanford" and laughed when I read this:

"...was that he had a weak heart and that he always knew that the day for "The Big One" would eventually come. It was a trademark of the show that he would fake a heart attack in the face of some shocking news.

In one of the bitterest ironies when Redd Foxx finally did experience the "The Big One," it was a heart attack, and those around him thought he was just joking around and didn't seek immediate help."

bsuhawk

Reaction score
I also have the Hawks taking Mazi Smith. IMHO the only justification for completely ignoring a position of need like NT is filling it with a rookie and the best NT in this draft appears to be Mazi. However, I don't think he lasts until pick 37 so I have him going to Seattle with their second first-round pick (preferably after trading back a few spots). Again, it just doesn't make sense to me to completely ignore NT unless you're planning on filling it with a rookie and Mazi's the best NT in this draft.

GemCity

Reaction score
I’d be happy with this draft. Thanks for posting!

Sun Tzu

Reaction score

View attachment 58846

View attachment 58847

View attachment 58848

View attachment 58849

View attachment 58850

View attachment 58851

View attachment 58852

View attachment 58853

View attachment 58854

View attachment 58855

This is my favorite Seahawks mock on dot net this year. The only pick I don't like is the LB at 20, I prefer Henley and Campbell straight up versus Simmons and they're likely available in round 2nd. No one seems to be talking much about Bresee; I think he would slot in nicely in that 20 slot. Love the late-round OL in this mock.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Welp

Tyree has injury concerns, likely taking him out of contention for Arizonas pick should they hold onto it, and it looks like Anderson is likely gonna be gone at 2 overall.

Balls.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is my favorite Seahawks mock on dot net this year. The only pick I don't like is the LB at 20, I prefer Henley and Campbell straight up versus Simmons and they're likely available in round 2nd. No one seems to be talking much about Bresee; I think he would slot in nicely in that 20 slot. Love the late-round OL in this mock.
Simpsons just a wacky upside pick I could see them making. I also prefer both Campbell and Henley as players currently.

Campbell in specific has that really crazy agility testing they'd covet.

Last edited:

Jazzhawk

Reaction score

View attachment 58846

View attachment 58847

View attachment 58848

View attachment 58849

View attachment 58850

View attachment 58851

View attachment 58852

View attachment 58853

View attachment 58854

View attachment 58855

Hmmm, a couple are meh to me, but I would not be upset with this draft. Well done.

12forlife

Reaction score
Like the draft overall, but would like to see us get a true stud young center to work with our QBOTF, whether we draft a qb this year or next. Ild like to see us get JMS, Tippman or Wypler.

IndyHawk

Reaction score

View attachment 58846

View attachment 58847

View attachment 58848

View attachment 58849

View attachment 58850

View attachment 58851

View attachment 58852

View attachment 58853

View attachment 58854

View attachment 58855

I like your mock..Hope it hits better than the past ones

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
lil-uzi-lil-uzi-vert.gif