The Long Term

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I have to admit, that win was so unexpected that I was having a hard to putting into perspective how it affects how I think the rest of the season will go. To be totally honest, I would still be shocked if we end up over .500, but there were a lot of interesting things we saw today I think.

- If Geno can play like this every week, I think PC may have found HIS perfect long term QB. Cheap, turnover averse, and able to move the ball, play point guard. I know all of us want the sexy draft pick, but the honest truth is if PC plans to be around here long term, he might find an RB early in the draft next year he thinks will add to "his system" more-so than another QB that may turn "diva" on him.

- Cody Barton seems to be recovering nicely from our extremely bi-polar usage and coaching over him for the first couple years. Coming into the league as a coverage linebacker before falling victim to a PC "position change scheme" to bulk and move to a power LB more-so. Hopefully his growth has not been stunted too much and he can continue to grow.

- Darrelle Taylor was double teamed A LOT. A very good sign for the rest of the season. It's one thing for us Monday QB's to get online and say "OMG Taylor is awesome", it's another for another opposing professional head coach to give a player specific, focused attention all game long.

- While Rashaad Penny ended last season with a bang, a lot of it involved simply FINALLY hitting holes with a full head of steam, instead of dancing around. Unfortunately, he was still plagued with low-contact tackles bringing him down last season. This game, more so at the beginning, he seemed to at least resist those a little more than previously shown.

- Mike Jackson was absolutely TRUCKED multiple times this game, but seems to be very high effort/more coverage driven. I just hope in the future he can maintain a stronger base and initiate contact first on some of those. Tackling high also seems to be a fairly consistent issue for our CB's. Those are the guys you want to be going for the legs, not trying to standing up a TE in the flats.

keasley45

Reaction score
My biggest fear is that Geno does what he did tonight for the rest of the season and Pete thinks we are good at qb.

Geno played really well AND showed some flaws that I hope aren't his limiting factor. His biggest was maybe tending to stand in the pocket a bit flat footed while it collapsed behind him, rather than either stepping up or just pulling the ball down and running.

I think Geno can more than get the job done this year, but we still need to drafting our franchise guy, no matter the cost, next year.

Agree on Barton. Watching him play last year, I figured he'd be solid in the middle.

And yes... Penny did a little too much dancing and waiting for the home run to appear, where last year he was through the whole with speed and authority. Granted he has two solid runs that were called back I think, but he definitely needs to get back to what made him great to close out 2021.

Scout

Reaction score
Long term we need to see a lot of young players emerge and I think they will by mid season. The offense and defense looks much improved from last year from a schematic point of view. Very modern approaches on both sides of the ball and it seems that the rich talent on both sides of the ball is finally being fully utilized.

JPatera76

Reaction score
The Oline is damn impressive. Lucas and Cross killed it.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Long term we need to see a lot of young players emerge and I think they will by mid season. The offense and defense looks much improved from last year from a schematic point of view. Very modern approaches on both sides of the ball and it seems that the rich talent on both sides of the ball is finally being fully utilized.
But... that's un-possible! I keep reading from the experts around here that the game has passed Pete Carroll by, and that all the Seahawks' success was completely due to Wilson and in spite of Carroll, and that everything bad that happened to the Seahawks was completely Carroll's fault and in no way related at all to Wilson.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
The Oline is damn impressive. Lucas and Cross killed it.
Cross got beat a couple times for sack and sack/fumble. Keasley45: (Geno's) limiting factor... His biggest was(is) maybe tending to stand in the pocket a bit flat footed while it collapsed behind him, rather than either stepping up or just pulling the ball down and running."

On the last sack, Geno made it easier for the D by not stepping up and letting Cross push the pass rusher on by.

I think this was week 1 of Cross's NFL trial by fire. Cross looked good overall, and had that huge play where he alertly caught Geno's sack-fumble out of the air and prevented disaster. You know the opposing DC is going to scheme to fully test out a rookie LT. Lucas looked solid as well.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Cross got beat a couple times for sack and sack/fumble. Keasley45: (Geno's) limiting factor... His biggest was(is) maybe tending to stand in the pocket a bit flat footed while it collapsed behind him, rather than either stepping up or just pulling the ball down and running."

On the last sack, Geno made it easier for the D by not stepping up and letting Cross push the pass rusher on by.

I think this was week 1 of Cross's NFL trial by fire. Cross looked good overall, and had that huge play where he alertly caught Geno's sack-fumble out of the air and prevented disaster. You know the opposing DC is going to scheme to fully test out a rookie LT. Lucas looked solid as well.
Even with those mishaps he was still composed and VERY alert. Very impressive for the rookie. Even that catch he has on that fumble was damn impressive because he went from blocked to catching even running a little in almost one fluent motion. The kids talented.