The League is a Joke

W

Welshers

The officials, who are inexplicably still not full-time employees, have utterly ruined the game. They play a huge role in every single game. Zero consistencey. No one knows what a catch is. No one knows what PI is. No one knows what holding is. And they are all different things on different plays. It's a joke.

Officials are ruining every single game for me. Could be a good product again otherwise. I just don't get how the hell NFL referees are still not full-time employees? The most equitable sporting league in the world, which does billions upon billions in revenue each year, and they somehow can't have full-time officials? They are absolutely vital to the game. Why aren't they full-time!?!?

As long as officiating remains this bad the league is a joke.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Record number of games within 1 score this season.

The league can afford full-time refs. Make it their only job, fine then for bad or missed calls like they fine players and coaches. If your only paycheck depends on you doing your job well you're more likely to do just that.

Spohawks

Reaction score
One way or another, the refs are getting paid well.

Show me 1 NFL ref flipping burgers on the side.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

One way or another, the refs are getting paid well.

Show me 1 NFL ref flipping burgers on the side.
They demand to be part time so they can also work other jobs and make more money. It's ridiculous. Just pay them all seven figures and demand they be full time and study the game constantly. Oh, unless they are doing their job as intended: steering games and making even more money betting.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
They demand to be part time so they can also work other jobs and make more money. It's ridiculous. Just pay them all seven figures and demand they be full time and study the game constantly. Oh, unless they are doing their job as intended: steering games and making even more money betting.
Hokuli or however you spell it was an attorney, you think he gave a shit if his ref gig crapped out?

JPatera76

Reaction score
Full-time, only job, graded week to week, fined for mistakes. League has more than enough money to make it happen.
Well, I sit in the boat of, there's a reason why changes haven't been made, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why.
They can do a lot avoid the "WWE" comparisons, to curb the "steering games/fixing games" narratives and now the slow catching on of media writing articles about "NBA style scandal" with the officials and sports betting and how many calls this year itself they've seen and rewatched where an official is preemptively holding a flag to throw.

Overall, the NFL choses to simply not to.

Polk738

Reaction score
I did notice that the refs didn't start calling penalties on the Chiefs until the were up by 17, which would make sense considering the spread was 10 pts, they needed to keep the score closer

James in PA

Reaction score
The Broncos just had an obvious fumble. The ball was coming lose before the receiver's knee hit the ground. Even after review, they still determined no fumble. SMH!

The good need though: ME3 threw his 3rd pick of the game a couple plays later. :D

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Watching colts and chargers and there was a "false start" much like the one Seattle had. The announcers were baffled and Aikman even admitted no one even knows what a false start actually is. A league worth billions and not even the refs know the rules. Nice.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Are the replay officials fulltime because they have no clue what a catch or fumble is either?

Vesuve

Reaction score
Record number of games within 1 score this season.

The league can afford full-time refs. Make it their only job, fine then for bad or missed calls like they fine players and coaches. If your only paycheck depends on you doing your job well you're more likely to do just that.
The League is cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap.

Like th bird flying over K-mart.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
NFL refs are making well over a hundred thousand or two a year. Why would they also need to be part time so they can work? Since when is a couple hundred thousand a year not enough money for people?

Ruminator

Reaction score
Seems nowadays in order for a team to be good in the league (winning, say, more than two-thirds of their games, most by comfortable margins), it has to be so damn good -- dictating plays and essentially controlling the outcome -- that there's little the refs can do to counteract without their meddling being even more blatantly obvious.