The Annual Adopt a Rookie thread

Threedee

Reaction score
NYCoug":abq97334 said:
Damn, this is tough this year. Last year was easy for me. Luke Willson, no doubt about it, since I'm also a Toronto Blue Jays fan and he played ball for the Jays for a little bit. It's funny, I met Luke's dude in Houston last season at Twin Peaks at the .Net gathering and told him about the Adopt-A-Rookie thread and how I had adopted his son haha. He actually thought it was pretty cool...

This year though, so many candidates! Jimmy Staten because of the built-in "Staten Island" nickname that I'm dying to bestow upon him, Eric Pinkins because Brandon Browner was one of my favorite Seahawks of all-time and Pinkins looks to be a possible Browner-clone. Then there's Kevin Pierre-Louis because of the great hyphenated name and you've also got Cassius Marsh who might just have the best name on the entire team now. Still, I think I have to stay true to my underdog roots which made me a Seahawks fan from NYC in the first place...

Kiero Small is my dude this year though. How can he NOT be? The ultimate underdog at 5'8, 250 and a fullback nonetheless, so he's doubly overlooked. My kind of guy and I'll definitely be pulling for him. I can't wait to see him light up opposing LB's come preseason!
Speaking of nicknames, I'm surprised that "General Sherman" has never caught on in Seattle. Anyway, I agree with Marsh as well. As a DE, he comes in as one of our most important position picks after OT.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Marsh, gonna love his swagger! He's going to be better than Clients. Calling it now!

QuahHawk

Reaction score
godawg":tuvcyys2 said:
I'm going to stick with my pick from last year, Jesse (Tha Monstar) Williams, whose redshirt year should not be counted against him.

Giving myself a bonus pick from this year's crop, I like Norwood, who will get 12s to stop saying, "but we need a #1 receiver."

Bama fan much?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":esiakbca said:
Not exactly sure about the significance of this "adopt a rookie" thing. I've seen it before, but I don't quite get what this accomplishes. Is this another "look how smart I am" opportunity? ;)

Do you think picking Zulli made me look smart?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":14rhs4nb said:
TeamoftheCentury":14rhs4nb said:
Not exactly sure about the significance of this "adopt a rookie" thing. I've seen it before, but I don't quite get what this accomplishes. Is this another "look how smart I am" opportunity? ;)

Do you think picking Zulli made me look smart?
Not yet. ;) lol. Bold, though. I like that. :th2thumbs: That's why I went with TE Rashaun Allen. But, I'll have to say at this point your pick might just be even more bold than mine. I guess both could end up on the Practice Squad. Though, Zulli might be there at the expense of Keith Price which wouldn't make the UW faithful here too happy.
I've got high expectations for lots of players. In fact, I'm even thinking today this team needs to make a statement and go undefeated in the Re-Pete season. I actually think they can. But, that's another topic that would derail this thread.
So, back on topic. You must have some reason for picking Zulli. I think he's got a shot in the NFL, even if it's not with the Hawks.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had their "adopt a rookie" over for dinner? Baked them cookies? Sent them encouraging notes letting them know you have their backs? How far has anyone been able to take this?

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Adopt a rookie seems pretty obvious to me. It's a reason to have something to be interested in during the preseason. How's your adopted rookie doing? Will he make the team? If he does, he becomes one of your favorite players because you've been rooting for him all along.

My adopt a rookies never make it. I'm almost afraid to curse them with my pick. But go Price!

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":28jk21f9 said:
Has anyone ever had their "adopt a rookie" over for dinner? Baked them cookies? Sent them encouraging notes letting them know you have their backs? How far has anyone been able to take this?

I think it's dumb too. But I am sure that doesn't surprise one person here.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2b3c26rs said:
Adopt a rookie seems pretty obvious to me. It's a reason to have something to be interested in during the preseason. How's your adopted rookie doing? Will he make the team? If he does, he becomes one of your favorite players because you've been rooting for him all along.

My adopt a rookies never make it. I'm almost afraid to curse them with my pick. But go Price!

Sure, why not. Go 2014 all-adopt-a-rookie class! :thirishdrinkers:

This little exercise still seems a bit like a "less-obvious" way of to be able to say, "I called it" - which is exactly what I was saying in the first place. Nothing really wrong with that, though... and why not, we're sports fans.

:beach:

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":25e59q5u said:
TeamoftheCentury":25e59q5u said:

I think it's dumb too. But I am sure that doesn't surprise one person here.
Shhhhh, you'll upset the teamsters. ;)

Lol:
Jerry Kramer Stand off seinfeld 24364882 470 700

chris98251

Reaction score
It’s kind of sad that people that don’t want to participate in something would rather ridicule and degrade others that are involved in a harmless and fun aspect of what has been a traditional thread in the forums. Turning it into an us against them situations calling people teamsters. I was always told if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
chris98251":2syhxony said:
It’s kind of sad that people that don’t want to participate in something would rather ridicule and degrade others that are involved in a harmless and fun aspect of what has been a traditional thread in the forums. Turning it into an us against them situations calling people teamsters. I was always told if you can’t say something nice don’t say anything at all.
lol. I didn't mean it like that. Don't take it so seriously. I was being light-hearted in my comments.

edit: Oh wait, I get it. You're the guy who was ridiculing me during the draft for suggesting the Hawks draft a FB around the 5th and 6th rounds. Now, now. Be nice like your momma told ya. ;) lol.

chris98251

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3lgzmq4i said:
chris98251":3lgzmq4i said:
lol. I didn't mean it like that. Don't take it so seriously. I was being light-hearted in my comments.

All good, humor doesn't always translate well when typed :)

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
chris98251":3pnbp1am said:
TeamoftheCentury":3pnbp1am said:
chris98251":3pnbp1am said:

All good, humor doesn't always translate well when typed :)
Ya got me. Good one. lol. Very nice.
The question is... have you started scouting FB prospects for the 2015 draft yet? ;)

nanomoz

Reaction score
Kiero Small. I think he'll earn the primary lead blocker role in preseason. It's been a while since I've seen a college fullback completely destroy people as often as Small. He may even take some pressure off Marshawn on third downs, he looks capable of blitz pickup.