The 2024 Great Draft Debate

CPHawk

Reaction score
I remember when UW fans thought Eason was far better than Herbert also.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
I watched Seahawks forever with Dan Viens, and he had on Brandon Cain.
(I just love the show, Dans a good guy.)

There was a comment about talking with Mike MacDonld about building his wall and I heard him say, that "Mac wanted to set some hard edges". Which that indicates to me a trade back and taking Darius Robinson Missouri.

And then drafting a MLB in the third, I'm sure everybody is screaming OG at this point back Mac and John will find a guard in the fourth. One that can move. Dan and Brandon speak about the type of guard that they're looking for. One that can move,to get out for screens and so fourth.

Alot of good info great show ! TY Dan

Cheers

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
You are correct about the odds, but none of that matters if you hit your target in the QB lottery. I think KC traded two firsts and a third for Mahomes. I’m sure they have no regrets. But it fails more often than not. In the case of the Seahawks, we can move up to improve the odds, or draft a QB in the 4th round and play the really long odds.
Mahomes was very fortunate to be drafted by Andy Reid only a few teams in the league could have drafted Mahomes and develop into a solid player, Mahomes was being compared to Favre who has a lot of ability but has bad mechanics with a tendency to be out of control

Sean Payton has said in interviews that he was ready to draft Mahomes @ 11 than the Chiefs traded up, I guess the big question would have Mahomes developed under Payton like he has under Reid

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Mahomes was very fortunate to be drafted by Andy Reid only a few teams in the league could have drafted Mahomes and develop into a solid player, Mahomes was being compared to Favre who has a lot of ability but has bad mechanics with a tendency to be out of control

Sean Payton has said in interviews that he was ready to draft Mahomes @ 11 than the Chiefs traded up, I guess the big question would have Mahomes developed under Payton like he has under Reid
Mahomes is lucky the Bears drafted Trubisky instead of him. Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen were also acquired by trading up. As I said, it’s worth the draft picks traded if you hit your target. But you can also screw up the franchise like the Panthers did with Bears if you miss.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I'm circling back to the idea that Penix may indeed be in their plans.

There hasn't been much chatter about it recently. John has kind of been lowkey about the QB's in this class. But I'm starting to think that might be part of their plan. Even with Howell in the mix.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I'm circling back to the idea that Penix may indeed be in their plans.

There hasn't been much chatter about it recently. John has kind of been lowkey about the QB's in this class. But I'm starting to think that might be part of their plan. Even with Howell in the mix.
Penix will be there at #16. He is #6 on my QB list, and probably #5 or #6 for most teams. I think he plans to try Howell as QB1 next two years. I hope I am wrong.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Mahomes is lucky the Bears drafted Trubisky instead of him. Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen were also acquired by trading up. As I said, it’s worth the draft picks traded if you hit your target. But you can also screw up the franchise like the Panthers did with Bears if you miss.
High risk, high reward.

Home Run Baseball GIF by MLB Network

CactusJack

Reaction score
Penix will be there at #16. He is #6 on my QB list, and probably #5 or #6 for most teams. I think he plans to try Howell as QB1 next two years. I hope I am wrong.
Penix might be the 5th or 6th consensus guy. But he could be QB1 with Grubb as his OC.

Teams are going to value different traits based on scheme fit.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Penix might be the 5th or 6th consensus guy. But he could be QB1 with Grubb as his OC.

Teams are going to value different traits based on scheme fit.
I might draft Penix if Seahawks had a rock-solid offensive line. That’s what he needs to be effective at NFL level. Otherwise, he’s a prime candidate for the injury list. That’s one of the reasons I would move up to #9 to draft Nix ahead of the Broncos at #12.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I might draft Penix if Seahawks had a rock-solid offensive line. That’s what he needs to be effective at NFL level. Otherwise, he’s a prime candidate for the injury list. That’s one of the reasons I would move up to #9 to draft Nix ahead of the Broncos at #12.
I like Nix. But I doubt they value him in the same way. Grubb & Penix obviously have a bond. That's Grubb's guy. If they're planning to take a QB, then it would be Penix, not Nix.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I like Nix. But I doubt they value him in the same way. Grubb & Penix obviously have a bond. That's Grubb's guy. If they're planning to take a QB, then it would be Penix, not Nix.
That may be true but, if so, it’s a case of the tail wagging the dog. Nix is better fit for what we’ve got on offense, and it’s Grubb’s job to work with him. If he can only work with one QB, he’s the wrong guy for the job.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
QB is a hidh valued position in the NFL,there is almost always a QB at the top of each years draft board. I trust Grub and he knows Penix, so if we get him or not its for the best.

I read on the Seahawks page this last week or so about Lockett is not going to be retained beyond this season. Well if this is true, then we're going to replace him. WR should be in the realm of possibilitys as a first round selections. Another high value position.

Just think DK, Brian Thomas jr (BTj) and JSN what a WR room ! Can you say WOW !!!

UPDATE: its was reported a day ago that the Seahawks were trying to trade Lockett to Cincinnati for a fifth round pick.-heavy.Com

Last edited:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
That may be true but, if so, it’s a case of the tail wagging the dog. Nix is better fit for what we’ve got on offense, and it’s Grubb’s job to work with him. If he can only work with one QB, he’s the wrong guy for the job.
Huh? nix is a better fit than the guy that didn't lose a game for like a year and half, got them to the natty and should have won the Heisman twice running said system?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Huh? nix is a better fit than the guy that didn't lose a game for like a year and half, got them to the natty and should have won the Heisman twice running said system?
A system is only as good as the players you have to execute it. I would take Penix if we had a better offensive line, but I think Nix has the better skill set to fit with what we have.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
UPDATE: its was reported a day ago that the Seahawks were trying to trade Lockett to Cincinnati for a fifth round pick.-heavy.Com
That wasn't a report of an actual trade attempt by the Seahawks, it was Heavy.com making an article out of some other writer's idea for a trade he thinks we should consider. It was a click-bait headline to make you think it was actual news.

I'm not saying the Seahawks wouldn't try to trade Tyler, but I haven't seen any reports of them actively shopping him (and if anyone has, I'd appreciate the link).

chris98251

Reaction score
Don't buy any ytrade talk right now, most are click baits and personal spins on a bloggers favorite player they want on the team much like those that post threads about trades and players here. This is the time of year where everything pretty much is a untruth you read or hear. Teams bait these guys to post a lot of misdirection and they buy it hook, line, sinker, the anchor and oars.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Some things things going against Penix is problems throwing intermediate passes, he throws a very nice deep ball perhaps the best in the past 5-10 year that won’t be enough to get him drafted in the 1st rd. In the championship game Michigan was guarding against a deep pass and daring him to throw underneath. NFL teams won’t be using a players college teams success in the scouting process it will be what said player can do in the future. NFL GMs won’t care about Penix almost winning a Heisman or not losing a game in 1.5 seasons

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I personally think wide receiver and defensive end/edge are the most overvalued position.

Every year (more so now) there seems to be a good amount of edge pass rushers and receivers now.

I think you can pass on selection with the first round, wideouts and edge players, more so, cause they are in abundance every draft.

In my opinion, Seattle, defensive tackle, interior blockers and QB seems to be the best bang for your buck type players. These positions give the most bang for your buck type players.

John may have said guards are overvalued but Seattle has been getting killed nonstop from inside pressure, why, JS, doesn’t think interior blockers are important may be smoke cause he really likes Troy Fautanu or Taliese Fuaga….which would mean, Lucas, may be somewhat of a utility piece that would play tackle or guard.

There’s so many good players at 16 that you can justify Seattle can trade down to grab a second round pick, and, actually that would be my strategy…

Pick 16…trade down, but hopefully stay in the first round, grab another teams second pick, (some team drafts Penix in the first round, Seattle picks up Byron Murphy, second pick, Seattle drafts Braden Fiske, and Seattle instantly becomes deeper and more talented on defensive line.

Latest posts