The 2022 Draft Class, 6 games in:

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
A quick review through 6 games:
  • Round 1, No. 9: Charles Cross - Looking like he belongs. Needs to get stronger. Has been the best out of the first 4 OT drafted. Lucky we got him and not Evan Neal. Undoubtedly our LT of the future. My Grade: B+

• Round 2, No. 40 overall: Boye Mafe - Shows flashes, is explosive. Hasn't had an impactful start. Would be impactful as a just a 4-3 edge rusher right now as opposed to a rotational 3-4 OLB. My Grade: C+

• Round 2, No. 41 overall: Ken Walker - Explosive. Makes the 1st man miss, great in space. A threat to take it to the house. I could see 1200+⁉️ yards this season if he stays healthy. Has to get better at passblocking assignments. My Grade: A

• Round 3, No. 72 overall: Abe Lucas - Has been the best rookie OT so far. Solid at passblocking, vicious in the run game. Easily the best RT we've had since Giacomini. My Grade: A+

• Round 4, No. 109 overall: Coby Bryant - 4 FF, getting better every game. Solid tackler. Pete's starting to trust him. My Grade: A

• Round 5, No. 153 overall: Tariq Woolen - 4 INT, 2 FR, makes good tackles. Turnovers are scarce for our defense this season, but he's getting them. Looks like a freak, plays like a freak. DROY? All-Pro? Regardless, the steal of the draft so far. My Grade: A+

• Round 5, No. 158 overall: Tyreke Smith - Been injured. I'll await judgement.

• Round 7, No. 229 overall: Bo Melton - Talented with the ball in his hands, but not near polished or dependable enough right now to earn reps. Needs a full offseason working on his craft. My Grade: C

• Round 7, No. 233 overall: Dareke Young - Still with the team. Suited up for 1 game. Physically gifted, might just end up being a PS / Special Teams (Ricardo Lockette) guy. My grade: C

Looking good so far. Thoughts?

Rat

Reaction score
Can't complain about any of that. I'd maybe bump Mafe up to B/B- and drop Coby to B+/A-. Looking early like this could be our best draft since the historic 2012 one.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Seems a pretty good assessment to me. Thought we had a good draft when it happened, glad it's looking to be an accurate prediction.

Polk738

Reaction score
Has to make you wonder what they did differently this draft than previous ones, to hit on this many picks in one draft is not something this team has done since 2010-2012, Tariq Woolen looks like the best defensive draft pick since Bobby Wagner

Ruminator

Reaction score
Had all the players we drafted been more of the Russified type selections, mostly C grade players, it's conceivable (very likely, actually) that our current record would be 2-4 or worse. Likely worse. It's rare to see multiple draft picks have such an immediate positive impact from day 1.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Ask yourself:

How often a team drafted starting LT and RT; Starting LCB and RCB; Starting RB, all in the same year?

This is a solid A+ in my book.
Maybe never. Solid draft!

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Has to make you wonder what they did differently this draft than previous ones, to hit on this many picks in one draft is not something this team has done since 2010-2012, Tariq Woolen looks like the best defensive draft pick since Bobby Wagner
Maybe they looked at it as a rebuilding year and picked as if they didn't feel they were a player or two away from deep playoff runs. Maybe it was not placating Russ. Whatever it was, it worked (so far) to a ridiculous degree.

Rainger

Reaction score
They weren't drafting to make RW happy

toffee

Reaction score
They weren't drafting to make RW happy
We all know thy Lord moves in mysterious ways, what we didn't know was Football God moves the same way.

Russ wanted out, he was LIVID that Pete pulled him back to secure a team win. Now he is playing with the BEST SKILL PLAYERS in his career, a team that he DIDN'T HAVE TO CARRY SINGLE HANDEDLY. Guess what? he is embarrassing himself, even his paid media talking heads are turning on him. His locker room is giving him side way glances. He had multiple meltdowns after losing games SINGLE HANDEDLY. Seahawks? we are enjoying the draft picks from trading Wilson.

Yes, Football God moves in mysterious ways. Amen.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
A quick review through 6 games:
  • Round 1, No. 9: Charles Cross - Looking like he belongs. Needs to get stronger. Has been the best out of the first 4 OT drafted. Lucky we got him and not Evan Neal. Undoubtedly our LT of the future. My Grade: B+

• Round 2, No. 40 overall: Boye Mafe - Shows flashes, is explosive. Hasn't had an impactful start. Would be impactful as a just a 4-3 edge rusher right now as opposed to a rotational 3-4 OLB. My Grade: C+

• Round 2, No. 41 overall: Ken Walker - Explosive. Makes the 1st man miss, great in space. A threat to take it to the house. I could see 1200+⁉️ yards this season if he stays healthy. Has to get better at passblocking assignments. My Grade: A

• Round 3, No. 72 overall: Abe Lucas - Has been the best rookie OT so far. Solid at passblocking, vicious in the run game. Easily the best RT we've had since Giacomini. My Grade: A+

• Round 4, No. 109 overall: Coby Bryant - 4 FF, getting better every game. Solid tackler. Pete's starting to trust him. My Grade: A

• Round 5, No. 153 overall: Tariq Woolen - 4 INT, 2 FR, makes good tackles. Turnovers are scarce for our defense this season, but he's getting them. Looks like a freak, plays like a freak. DROY? All-Pro? Regardless, the steal of the draft so far. My Grade: A+

• Round 5, No. 158 overall: Tyreke Smith - Been injured. I'll await judgement.

• Round 7, No. 229 overall: Bo Melton - Talented with the ball in his hands, but not near polished or dependable enough right now to earn reps. Needs a full offseason working on his craft. My Grade: C

• Round 7, No. 233 overall: Dareke Young - Still with the team. Suited up for 1 game. Physically gifted, might just end up being a PS / Special Teams (Ricardo Lockette) guy. My grade: C

Looking good so far. Thoughts?
Cross -- Completely agree. LT is hard to play as a rook in the NFL though, but Seattle has high standards at that position (i.e. Jones). Kid looks good though and I think he will just continue to improve.

Mafe - Flashes when he plays, so its hard to really grade his play. In class, C+ is a little above average, so I will agree with this as well.

Walker - I would go A leaning to A+ given what was on film and paper in the draft, I think the kid has shown more than that. It is early though.

Lucas - Easy A+. I think with his draft position and play, this is a no brainer.

Bryant - With all of his punchouts and improving corner play, I would be at an A as well, leaning A+ given draft position.

Woolen - A++++. Plus plus, and more plusses. Likely the steal of the entire draft.

Smith - TBD as well.

Melton - D, I do not like drops, and he showed poor catching ability in pre-season.

Young - TBD, just not enough to make anything of him yet.

OP
OP
seatownlowdown

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
a new approach perhaps. also, pete giving back JS power in personnel decisions.

i think they realized they had to start over and build a completely new foundation. that itself is a completely new approach that they hadn't been doing. not since 2009-2012. the parts that assembled the most dominant defense in the modern era had worn out and needed replaced, but no real investment had been made. RW had also diminished. trading wilson was a signal. they waved the white flag with wilson, realized it was beyond time to restart. that trade and subsequent draft capital jumpstarted a rebuild. and so they've started to foster a rebuild rather than continue to reach for positions of need and trade away 1sts to patch the roster like they've also done. those panic levels of urgency are gone. it seems the pendulum of personnel decisions has swept from PC to JS. it seems the FO is taking a methodical route, being less reactive and trusting the draft, finding good cost controlled players to build the core.

geno's been a revelation. how they handle the qb position going forward now that geno has proven his salt is a big storyline for next year. what they do with jamal adams is gonna be intriguing. they will also need to target a gamewrecker in the front 7 and need to fully commit to building up the defense through the draft.

Last edited:

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I hope he doesn't turn out to be a terrible person. I'm one good game away from breaking my no rookies jersey purchase rule.
Why would he be? What has he done to make you think that is possible?

I am not going to get too deep into this, but it is 2022. I think these good ole boys takes need to stop.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'd have to rank this draft class right up there with the 2012 one as the best Seahawk draft. Woolen is leading the league in INTs and Coby Bryant is leading the league in forced fumbles. Offensively, Cross, Lucas, and Walker are productive starters.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Why would he be? What has he done to make you think that is possible?

I am not going to get too deep into this, but it is 2022. I think these good ole boys takes need to stop.
Because people are people? Nothing makes me think he in particular will be but I don't want to sink money into a jersey for someone who turns out to be a shitheel. One reason I have a no rookies policy is because we don't know how the player will develop on and off the field since they're new. I don't particularly care for what point you think you're trying to make with the second part. If it's what I think it is, you can **** right off.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Love the grades but I am a little lower on Cross. Probably a solid B/B- Every excuse could be made for him and they would be justified.

However it seems to me he gets flaged more then the rest and gets beaten more than I would like to see.