Tharold Simon...

Alexander

Reaction score
pehawk":1c58llag said:
themunn":1c58llag said:
Maxwell was constantly injured his first 3 years too

No way!? Hmm, odd.

Seattle corners all look like awkward, discarded, soccer players built out of spare GI Joe parts. Pete literally molds them. Except for Simon...he just walks, runs, moves like a traditional CB.

Simon has the highest ceiling in secondary right now. People need to chill.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Simon will contribute big time this year, now that his messed up toes have been surgically fixed.

Simon's been getting a combination of the Giacomini and Okung treatments from fans. Giacomini got a bunch of flags early in his time with the Hawks, and fans kept giving him grief for it even after he cleaned it up and showed that he was a good right tackle. And of course fans have always given Okung an unnecessarily hard time for being injury prone.

drdiags

Reaction score
It's a yearly ritual. Out with the old punching bag, in with the new one. Dude should have bowed out of the most important game of the year because he couldn't go 100%? Tell that to Earl, Kam and Sherman. Fans just want to gripe about unrealistic things. A player just played in the SB with a broken arm with stitches from elbow to wrist.

Lane's injury was just as impacting as Marquand Manuel's in XL*. Stuff happens. Simon may not be here this season (healing injury) or after (FA contract) but the guy has skills. Maybe he does like Walter Thurmond and gets his chance with another team?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
He was quite good before getting injured. Afterwards, definitely not so much. It is definitely reason for hope if health isn't an issue. As mentioned, a huge IF.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm gonna echo whoever said that if Simon is healthy this year, the Seahawks win another game or two. Of course staying healthy is the problem.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I have high hopes for Simon. I think he was looking much stronger in preseason last year, even better than Cary Williams.
He has big time skills and if he can keep his cool and focus on his game and stay injury free, I believe he will be an upgrade on the outside for us. The secondary won't be as thin as it was last year.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
He's one of the primary reasons we lost SB 49 so no, my hopes aren't too high.

rcaido

Reaction score
I wouldn't gamble on Simon, we need a solid consistent corner this year...It was pretty much our Achilles heel in the 1st half of the season.

I'll take Lane, he did enough to convince me for the job.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
NYCoug":1j0zyfp9 said:
I don't understand how and why the rest of the secondary gets a pass for playing injured during Super Bowl 49 and Simon doesn't. I just don't understand. He tried playing through a dislocated shoulder and it just didn't work out with him being exploited by Belicheck, Brady, and Edelman.

Before his injury, he was actually playing pretty damn well when he was in there. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I know that his QB rating against was pretty impressive.

Having said all this, it'll be interesting to see if Tharold can shake off the rust and turn his contract year into a huge contract somewhere else. Something tells me the Seahawks will take it slow with him, given his injury history, and that he might only start to blossom towards seasons end/potentially playoff time. This could lead to a nifty new deal for him, or he might be forced to have to sign a prove-it deal with Seattle or perhaps one of our rivals. Who knows. This is all dependant on Simon staying healthy, which is far from a given.

Still, I was impressed with what he showed in 2014 prior to getting hurt late in the year and was comfortable, confident in fact, with the thought of him replacing Maxwell. It just didn't work out that way. The dude was a gamer and gave it all he had though. It just didn't work out and unfortunately for him and us, the Patriots exploited his injury and neophyte playoff experience when it mattered @ XLIXX. He still has my respect though, and the hope that he bounces back strong and has a stellar year.

I get the crux of your argument, and it's fair.. but if Tharold was the healthiest he's ever been in his life on February 1st, 2015 -- Julian Edelman is still beating him like a drum.. over and over and over. Edelman is the absolute worst type of WR for Tharold Simon to be matched up with. Honestly one point that isn't talked about nearly as much as it should be is what the injuries in the secondary did to who we had to leave active/inactive. Thanks to the injuries to Earl and Kam we had to activate 2 backup safeties too.. when Marcus Burley would have probably got that opportunity otherwise and Burley IMO would have fared a LOT better against the small and shifty Edelman than Simon did.

So basically, I don't think him getting worked was related to his shoulder, but rather he got worked because Edelman is smaller, a lot quicker, and a hell of a lot more savvy at route running.

Entering 2016 though Simon is a dark horse to be the teams breakout player of the year. He has a boat load of talent, just hasn't been able to stay on the field. And I don't think he's anywhere close to being a finished product either, as at LSU he was a very raw talent.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2w3zmj3x said:
NYCoug":2w3zmj3x said:
I don't understand how and why the rest of the secondary gets a pass for playing injured during Super Bowl 49 and Simon doesn't. I just don't understand. He tried playing through a dislocated shoulder and it just didn't work out with him being exploited by Belicheck, Brady, and Edelman.

Before his injury, he was actually playing pretty damn well when he was in there. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I know that his QB rating against was pretty impressive.

Having said all this, it'll be interesting to see if Tharold can shake off the rust and turn his contract year into a huge contract somewhere else. Something tells me the Seahawks will take it slow with him, given his injury history, and that he might only start to blossom towards seasons end/potentially playoff time. This could lead to a nifty new deal for him, or he might be forced to have to sign a prove-it deal with Seattle or perhaps one of our rivals. Who knows. This is all dependant on Simon staying healthy, which is far from a given.

Still, I was impressed with what he showed in 2014 prior to getting hurt late in the year and was comfortable, confident in fact, with the thought of him replacing Maxwell. It just didn't work out that way. The dude was a gamer and gave it all he had though. It just didn't work out and unfortunately for him and us, the Patriots exploited his injury and neophyte playoff experience when it mattered @ XLIXX. He still has my respect though, and the hope that he bounces back strong and has a stellar year.

I get the crux of your argument, and it's fair.. but if Tharold was the healthiest he's ever been in his life on February 1st, 2015 -- Julian Edelman is still beating him like a drum.. over and over and over. Edelman is the absolute worst type of WR for Tharold Simon to be matched up with. Honestly one point that isn't talked about nearly as much as it should be is what the injuries in the secondary did to who we had to leave active/inactive. Thanks to the injuries to Earl and Kam we had to activate 2 backup safeties too.. when Marcus Burley would have probably got that opportunity otherwise and Burley IMO would have fared a LOT better against the small and shifty Edelman than Simon did.

So basically, I don't think him getting worked was related to his shoulder, but rather he got worked because Edelman is smaller, a lot quicker, and a hell of a lot more savvy at route running.

Entering 2016 though Simon is a dark horse to be the teams breakout player of the year. He has a boat load of talent, just hasn't been able to stay on the field. And I don't think he's anywhere close to being a finished product either, as at LSU he was a very raw talent.
Agree with everything until the last paragraph. Solid post! :th2thumbs:

Willyeye

Reaction score
peppersjap":k8b1brlp said:
NYCoug":k8b1brlp said:

If Simon was injured at the Super Bowl enough to get torched the way he did he should have bowed out before the game and we could have had Burley active. He was horrible. He looked good in the pre season this year and got peoples hopes up but then back to the injuries. He definitely has some potential but he has been a disappointment (penalties, injuries and whining to the ref's).

I don't understand how you can blame Simon for playing in SB49. It's one thing for PC to allow Earl, Sherm and Kam play through injuries...they are seasoned vets. The decision to keep Burley inactive and to make Simon active is totally on PC. Simon DOES NOT make those kind of decisions, and if he did, then PC should be fired. Burley has been a pretty competent slot CB since joining the team, and making Simon active for that game ended up being the biggest reason for the loss. Having Simon at slot changed the way Maxwell played. Had Burley been there, the game would never have come down to that last play.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
Losing SB49 is not on one guy. Our defense being at about 60% is the reason we lost. Avril went down , Lane went down, Mebane was out, Sherm, Earl and Kam weren't 100%. Once Avril went down, our pass rush took a serious hit.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":vxb9lk47 said:
Losing SB49 is not on one guy. Our defense being at about 60% is the reason we lost. Avril went down , Lane went down, Mebane was out, Sherm, Earl and Kam weren't 100%. Once Avril went down, our pass rush took a serious hit.

On no! We find scape goats 'round here. Get beat a few times, draw a penalty or two and people catch amnesia regarding everything the player has done well to that point.

rideaducati

Reaction score
One game...that is all some of you seem to remember. Simon had the highest DB rating on the team before he was injured. I'd love to see how some of you guys would be able to run and tackle with a bad shoulder. If he is healthy, he will be the starter on the right side and he will be pretty damn good.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
themunn":38ryhukv said:

This isn't true, he was just slow learning to play the way the team wanted him to play.

Philly significantly overpaid him when he'd only really produced well during one one season.

Personally I think Harold Simon has some real talent but just can't stay healthy. Many of the penalties called against him were BS ticky tack calls but he was learning to avoid them at the end of his last reasonable period of good health which was very short.

If he could actually stay healthy he could become a solid cover corner.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Willyeye":2hupjyc2 said:
The decision to keep Burley inactive and to make Simon active is totally on PC. Simon DOES NOT make those kind of decisions, and if he did, then PC should be fired.
I know this is a bit of forum hyperbole and obviously it is indeed Pete's call. But really? Pete Carroll would have to do a lot worse than this to merit a "should be fired" after the last six seasons here.

themunn

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1w6zzavk said:
themunn":1w6zzavk said:

This isn't true, he was just slow learning to play the way the team wanted him to play.

I was wrong about it being 3 years, it was the first 2 years he was injured.

Ankle injury rookie season - 7 games missed
hamstring injury 2012 season - 7 games missed
strained calf 2014 season - 3 games missed

2013 is the only full year he put together - but should be noted he wasn't the outside starter, Browner was.

Rob12

Reaction score
I'm really excited for him.

The sample size is too small to really know how good he can be... But more often than not, he passes the eye test. I just hope he can get and stay healthy because I think the talent is there. I love the nasty streak. He is a hot head. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, which is what we should all love.

Just get healthy, Tharold.

Rob12

Reaction score
What I've deduced from this thread is that our friend jap has never played sports before (no offense, bro).

I was an above average HS basketball player (nothing great), and if I was shooting 2-10 from the field in a game, I still wanted the ball in the post because I believed I'd work whoever was guarding me.

If you're an athlete, and a serious one at that, you don't "pull" yourself from games. If you're a professional athlete, you literally never do that.

This isn't Alan telling Petey Jones in Remember the Titans to go in the game because he can't cover. Simon was never going to pull himself from that game, and to expect him to is silly.

Simon's on the short list of the most talented DB's on the Seahawks roster. Whether or not he can put it together and stay healthy is yet to be seen. But the talent is there.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
themunn":25ldt5g1 said:
jammerhawk":25ldt5g1 said:
themunn":25ldt5g1 said:

I was wrong about it being 3 years, it was the first 2 years he was injured.

Ankle injury rookie season - 7 games missed
hamstring injury 2012 season - 7 games missed
strained calf 2014 season - 3 games missed

2013 is the only full year he put together - but should be noted he wasn't the outside starter, Browner was.
He was drafted in 2013 and IR'd, correct?

Latest posts