Sure its against the rules, but do you think this happens?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
oh JFC. how old are you? this concept is as old as dirt.

What's funny about this is that what gets people around here upset is the Rams paying top-of-market contracts to their stars, even though that's the opposite of how cheating on the cap would look.

Here's an example of something suspicious that isn't proof of wrongdoing: while Brady was taking below-market-value contracts from the Patriots, his TB12 company had as its main client the Patriots, and its HQ was located inside the Patriots complex. That's an example of how a team could funnel money to a player outside the salary-cap structure.

I've challenged some of the "the Rams don't have to follow the cap rules" assertions around here, asking not even for proof, but just any specific thing that looked even remotely suspicious on the current publicly available listings of every contract associated with the Rams' roster. None of the people accusing the Rams of cheating on the cap has been able to provide even an example of something suspicious, much less anything approaching actual evidence. The Rams are paying stars a lot of money. I see a lot of risk, because just a few injuries could make the Rams a very bad team with little flexibility to fix things, but it's worked out well for them so far.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
Didn’t the 49ers do this, or something like this in the past? Players would receive perks from Eddie D that were outside of the contract?

sutz

Reaction score
There were rumors for years that Brady did this in New England. Never heard any actual proof or numbers, though. His arm candy was richer than he was, though, so maybe that makes him her arm candy. ;)

A top of the line CPA could probably figure out a way to do it, but they have ethics rules, you know. ;)

Marvin49

Reaction score
i can also claim anything I want.

You are an idiot child with an idea as old as dirt accusing teams you don’t like.
LOL.

I spend alot of time talking about politics. This is what happens.

Basically a person throws something out there with zero evidence to make it a part of the discussion and then make another person DISPROVE it. If they can't it enters the conversation as tho fact. The next step is "do your own research" as tho the responsibility of any accusation isn't on the accuser to back up their accusation, not the accused or defender of the accused to disprove it...especially since its near impossible to disprove a negative.

"I think you kill and skin kittens. I'm just asking questions here. Prove me wrong".

I honestly have no idea if its true. I've never seen any accusation of it so I'd say its likely not, but that won't stop the lazy minded or those with an axe to grind to throw accusations without any shred of evidence.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Didn’t the 49ers do this, or something like this in the past? Players would receive perks from Eddie D that were outside of the contract?
Not entirely sure exactly what took place, but the 49ers did surrender a 5th and a 3rd the following year and Carmen Policy (with the Browns at this point) paid a fine over something in the contracts for Jim Druckenmiller, Steve Young, Brent Jones and Lee Woodall.

It was a settlement and all parties maintained that there was no intentional wrongdoing.

No clue if that's true or not, only know that there was a settlement.

m0ng0

Reaction score
LOL.

Basically a person throws something out there with zero evidence to make it a part of the discussion and then make another person DISPROVE it. If they can't it enters the conversation as tho fact. The next step is "do your own research" as tho the responsibility of any accusation isn't on the accuser to back up their accusation, not the accused or defender of the accused to disprove it...especially since its near impossible to disprove a negative.

"I think you kill and skin kittens. I'm just asking questions here. Prove me wrong".

I honestly have no idea if its true. I've never seen any accusation of it so I'd say its likely not, but that won't stop the lazy minded or those with an axe to grind to throw accusations without any shred of evidence.
It's called a trial balloon.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
To make it really worthwhile, a tainted contract would have to be significantly under market value, and that would alert anyone who is paying attention.

Saving a million here, and a million there, on multiple contracts, vastly increases the likelihood of discovery and/or blackmail, without making enough difference to your odds of success.

Your best bet is to look for teams with richer owners, who get "hometown discounts" from players.

While LA and Dallas have rich owners, I really can't think of any hometown discounts that have been handed out, and, in the case or Dallas, any recent players worth the risk of this strategy.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Thats how some disclosures work. Break one and there is a fine or court issues.

But oh yeah, I can see a player looking for some attention and saying the NFL is rigged will get him some!
The only way the NFL can fine anyone is by withholding part of their pay. If people are not getting paid by the NFL, then the NFL has no power or ability to fine them.

The NFL can take people to court and try to get a judgment against them for monetary damages, the same as anyone else in this country can try to do, but that's not the same as fining them. And in this context, the last thing the NFL would want to do if they're trying to keep something secret is take someone to court to enforce a non-disclosure agreement about a topic they don't want discussed publicly.

RedAlice

Reaction score
LOL.

I'm a conservative....I think it is best to just not discuss politics since you just described what accurately happens.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I'm a conservative....I think it is best to just not discuss politics since you just described what accurately happens.
I'm NOT a conservative...so you are likely correct that it's best not to discuss politics. :D

KinesProf

Reaction score
No.

The risk of significant punishment from the league if found to be participating in salary cap circumvention is too much; and then on top of that risking getting in trouble with the government for tax evasion.

A creative thought I suppose, but not really; and not really practical when you dive into it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Tom Brady owned a small company that had a contract with Robert Kraft, while he was playing for New England. IIRC, I read that on ESPN, and they said that is was done in a way that the NFL could do nothing about it.

Patriots = Cheaters in every way possible.

"If you're not cheating, you're not trying" Bill Bellicheck maybe?

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Tom Brady owned a small company that had a contract with Robert Kraft, while he was playing for New England. IIRC, I read that on ESPN, and they said that is was done in a way that the NFL could do nothing about it.

Patriots = Cheaters in every way possible.

"If you're not cheating, you're not trying" Bill Bellicheck maybe?
Yep. I read that same thing. TB12 got paid. By the Patriots. Just not in the normal way.