Subtle Disrespect

Wheetie

Reaction score
Good day Gents. I've been enjoying reading everyone's posts for a while, but have never contributed by posting one of my own. I'm a huge Seahawks fan from Canada, and make an effort to come down for a few games each year. Being from Canada, I tend to know more of the ins and outs of the CFL game than the NFL game and therefore I defer to all of you for your insight into strategies, insight etc.

The reason for my post today, is 2 things I noticed that that got me kinda riled up, even though they may seem subtle. They just speak to me of a level of disrespect to the Hawks.

The first was last weekend after we had won against Carolina and the digits had lost to Atlanta. At that point , we were the 1 seed. I was in a bit of shock so I went to the NFL website to see if the playoff picture had been updated to show the Hawks as the 1 seed, just to see it in official print. It took the NFL til the next morning to update showing the Hawks as the 1 seed, while every other news outlet I checked had updated their playoff picture within an hour of game's end.

The second subtle sign of disrespect is right now, a week after clinching a playoff spot, if you go to the NFL's "Standings Page" every team that has either clinched their Division or clinched a playoff spot has an "X" or "Y" next to their name denoting they have achieved such status. Yet, there's nothing next to the Seahawks name...Pretty sure they clinched a playoff spot last weekend.

2 maybe minor, and maybe subtle signs of disrespect, yet both examples just strike me the wrong way...

endzorn

Reaction score
JC. How can you possibly think that’s disrespect? Come one people. Do we have to find every single reason to whine?

OP
OP
W

Wheetie

Reaction score
We'll I haven't "whined" before on this forum,
so I'm not allowed the indulgence of whining 1 time?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes you are, don't let others comments get you down. Good to meet ya fellow 12! As fans we have a right to feel whatever the hell we want to feel... Good, bad or indifferent. Some 12's highlight the slights, and other 12's cringe saying it adds to the perception that we are an overly-sensitive fanbase. Doesn't mean both sides are right or wrong, simply that we are all diehard fans of the team we love, or we wouldn't be here.

GO HAWKS!

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I agree Aros. I'm pretty new to this board, but would jump at the chance to bet I've been a true blue all in Seahawk for a lot longer than a big majority of the members here. Like you say, we're all on the same team, even though we don't all act like teammates all the time.

Rat

Reaction score
That's crazy that with all the teams that clinched the playoffs or changed playoff position last week, they updated everyone except the Seahawks. Or did they just not update anyone and you're suggesting that their hatred of this team runs so deep that they would risk upsetting fans of all the other teams, and risk negatively effecting their finances, which the league seems to care about slightly, just to get in a subtle jab at us?

That's some next level hate.

OP
OP
W

Wheetie

Reaction score
Your right Rat, it's likely nothing, even though it is an omission involving the Seahawks and no other team. I shouldn't have mentioned it.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Pete Carroll loves players that feel like they have something to prove. The East Coast bias and ESPN refusing to acknowledge the team is all the more motivation. The players and coaches act like they dont notice, but I'm sure they do.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
The fact that the top seed in the NFC, second best record in the NFL, in week 15 no less, was ranked 5 in the power rankings gives you all the ammunition you need to pull the "respect" card.

I can't recall a top seed this late in the season getting ranked that low.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2r2uncs9 said:
The fact that the top seed in the NFC, second best record in the NFL, in week 15 no less, was ranked 5 in the power rankings gives you all the ammunition you need to pull the "respect" card.

I can't recall any moment in time where NFL power rankings had any meaning whatsoever.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wheetie":mlxcdld7 said:
Good day Gents. I've been enjoying reading everyone's posts for a while, but have never contributed by posting one of my own. I'm a huge Seahawks fan from Canada, and make an effort to come down for a few games each year. Being from Canada, I tend to know more of the ins and outs of the CFL game than the NFL game and therefore I defer to all of you for your insight into strategies, insight etc.

The reason for my post today, is 2 things I noticed that that got me kinda riled up, even though they may seem subtle. They just speak to me of a level of disrespect to the Hawks.

The first was last weekend after we had won against Carolina and the digits had lost to Atlanta. At that point , we were the 1 seed. I was in a bit of shock so I went to the NFL website to see if the playoff picture had been updated to show the Hawks as the 1 seed, just to see it in official print. It took the NFL til the next morning to update showing the Hawks as the 1 seed, while every other news outlet I checked had updated their playoff picture within an hour of game's end.

The second subtle sign of disrespect is right now, a week after clinching a playoff spot, if you go to the NFL's "Standings Page" every team that has either clinched their Division or clinched a playoff spot has an "X" or "Y" next to their name denoting they have achieved such status. Yet, there's nothing next to the Seahawks name...Pretty sure they clinched a playoff spot last weekend.

2 maybe minor, and maybe subtle signs of disrespect, yet both examples just strike me the wrong way...

This not new to many of us, we know there is a slight, Goodell doesn't like us we know, he was here when we beat his NY Giants that first year as Commish and wanted an investigation into our crowd noise after we beat them and had so many false start penalties against them.

Florio hates us, he came here and because the team didn't red carpet his ass, bitched about the weather, treatment and facilities.

Prisco well we know his feelings.

ESPN other then Burman in the old days and Hass now seems to want to grind an axe on our asses routinely.

We're in the Corner of the Universe that takes time and effort to get to, not convenient for them, we seem to beat the media favorites on the biggest stages routinely, we make their projections of almost everything look foolish and that is going back to inception with that slow to small WR, and how scrambling QB's that are left handed can't make it in this league.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Seanhawk":f4j0a8ex said:
Mad Dog":f4j0a8ex said:

I can't recall any moment in time where NFL power rankings had any meaning whatsoever.

Well other than being an indicator of media respect which is what this thread is about.

But I agree, all forms of media respect are meaningless apart from serving as motivation for the team.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything there other than that whoever was assigned to do the updates by the NFL was off the clock that night and their backup was sick, or had a conflicting assignment. That and they don't seem to have this automated.

I think it's most likely a simpler explanation, like less coverage for the Pacific time zone, and manual processes rather than automated. If the NFL had their site update staffing arranged to prioritize the largest population centers first, and they didn't finish everything during their shift and went home, and the next crew in dealt with it in the morning, that seems like as plausible an explanation as any.

Yes, so East Coast bias, and population center bias, absolutely, with content update schedules organized around the clicks and ads and revenue volumes, rather than around any agenda involving "respect" for the Seahawks as a team.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it until someone comes up with a better one.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Rat":3llt0zb5 said:
That's crazy that with all the teams that clinched the playoffs or changed playoff position last week, they updated everyone except the Seahawks. Or did they just not update anyone and you're suggesting that their hatred of this team runs so deep that they would risk upsetting fans of all the other teams, and risk negatively effecting their finances, which the league seems to care about slightly, just to get in a subtle jab at us?

Absolutely. Makes no sense, every team is treated equally. Bias is non-existent. Not sure why the league would do this. No team ever gets overlooked. The HOF, the MVP, the Pro-Bowl, teams are always judged equally with absolutely no agenda.

Madrid Hawk

Reaction score
Anybody who opens their post with "Good day gents", that's a person who's okay by me.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If it didn't happen often and repeatedly then I'd agree that Wheetie was reaching, but the Hawks are seemingly the redheaded step child of the NFL media. Rodney Dangerfield got more respect from the media than they do. It's not subtle disrespect, it is just plain disrespect. They don't think the team is that good.

As fans of the team who have watched for more than just a few seasons we've seen this before. I certainly remember the national media saying the Hawks didn't stand a chance against Denver's offensive juggernaut in XLVIII. They were embarrassed watching the 43-8 beatdown laid on Denver. Loud mouths like Sanders say the 12s are nothing, and so it goes. As fans of the Seahawks we need to have thick skin or revel in the disrespect while pointing out the team's highly competitive consistency, the national media has bias, yep, and the sun rises in the east, get used to it.

It's right for us all to notice the media slights when they happen, it doesn't change a darn thing though. The team is 11-3 so far with a 7-1 road record, a 3-1 Divisional record, a 4-2 home record with losses only to the Saints and the Ravens, and in the real conversation for the #1 seed and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. The preceding sentence is the real story, and it has been exciting to watch, albeit nerve wracking.

GO HAWKS!!!

Rat

Reaction score
Scorpion05":kbsacgs9 said:
Rat":kbsacgs9 said:

Absolutely. Makes no sense, every team is treated equally. Bias is non-existent. Not sure why the league would do this. No team ever gets overlooked. The HOF, the MVP, the Pro-Bowl, teams are always judged equally with absolutely no agenda.

You really think a multi-billion dollar company, who makes it clear repeatedly that their main concern is their bottom line, is going to risk abandoning users to their site and hurt their credibility just to get an unclear, unproductive jab in on a team? Or likely all teams for that matter, since most of them won't realize that not updating their playoff standings is somehow only directed at a single franchise that they have no clear reason to "hate" to that strange level.

Biases exist, but to play that card here is a stretch. People like you is why real biases will continue anyway. You're so quick to be offended and perceive every small thing as some enormous, deliberate sleight that when something legitimate happens, everyone rolls their eyes and says "ugh, not THIS again". You need to pick your battles better if you want to be taken seriously.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The NFL website has been having problems for the last couple of days, at least on desktop. I've noticed some slow and incomplete loading. The web team must be 49ers fans out to get the Seahawks, I guess, since they're spending their time "disrespecting" the team.