Still want Tannehill? Wake up…

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think the 49ers are more the exception that proves the rule here.

But look at what it took.

49ers coach is one of the most innovative offensive minds and innovative rushing attacks in the game.

Even so, Deebo had to have a superhuman night, the defense had to play lights out, and GB had to make crucial mistakes in the final minutes of the game.

That isn't something the Seahawks can replicate. Not sure anyone can.

So it doesn't justify trying to build a winning team without a great QB as the keystone.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":x1q7kz28 said:

49ers coach is one of the most innovative offensive minds and innovative rushing attacks in the game.

Even so, Deebo had to have a superhuman night, the defense had to play lights out, and GB had to make crucial mistakes in the final minutes of the game.

So it doesn't justify trying to build a winning team without a great QB as the keystone.

49ers use a very similar zone blocking scheme as the Hawks do... came from Mike Shanahan's O.. I don't think the Niners have a better run game than the Hawks do. you watch the production next year if Penny gets going.. But I do agree with your point about needing a great passing attack.

LTH

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
LTH":25pe1kae said:
TwistedHusky":25pe1kae said:

49ers use a very similar zone blocking scheme as the Hawks do... came from Mike Shanahan's O.. I don't think the Niners have a better run game than the Hawks do. you watch the production next year if Penny gets going.. But I do agree with your point about needing a great passing attack.

LTH

I believe that with Penny.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you're not including cap hits in these discussions then you're really missing the point. Tannehill played a lot better than his contract this season which is why some posters have mentioned him. The question they have posed wasn't if you think Russ or Tannehill is the better QB, but which of the two options you'd pick:
A. 2021 Russ @ 32m
B. 2021 Tannehill @ 11m

That's actually a pretty hard choice if Russ had stayed healthy, but due to Russ's injury he ended up being a much worse value this season for us while Tannehill was a great deal for the Titans. The Titans losing in the divisional round doesn't change that.

At the end of the day, bang for the buck is what matters. Look at the 2021 cap hits of the QBs still in the playoffs.
2021 Mahomes @ 7m
2021 Burrow @ 8m
2021 Allen @ 10m
2021 Brady @ 10m
2021 Stafford @ 20m
2021 JimmyG @ 26m

FWIW, Tannehill looks like a pretty terrible deal going forward. The Titans went all in on this season and won't be nearly as competitive next year unless they have a great draft.

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
AgentDib":s7b4vx93 said:
If you're not including cap hits in these discussions then you're really missing the point. Tannehill played a lot better than his contract this season which is why some posters have mentioned him. The question they have posed wasn't if you think Russ or Tannehill is the better QB, but which of the two options you'd pick:
A. 2021 Russ @ 32m
B. 2021 Tannehill @ 11m

That's actually a pretty hard choice if Russ had stayed healthy, but due to Russ's injury he ended up being a much worse value this season for us while Tannehill was a great deal for the Titans. The Titans losing in the divisional round doesn't change that.

At the end of the day, bang for the buck is what matters. Look at the 2021 cap hits of the QBs still in the playoffs.
2021 Mahomes @ 7m
2021 Burrow @ 8m
2021 Allen @ 10m
2021 Brady @ 10m
2021 Stafford @ 20m
2021 JimmyG @ 26m

FWIW, Tannehill looks like a pretty terrible deal going forward. The Titans went all in on this season and won't be nearly as competitive next year unless they have a great draft.

I understand the cap hit implications. But, to be fair…take a look at the following. That’s 2, 3, and 4 ranking wise after Russ. What they have in common is that they won’t be competing for a SB this year.
The cap hit for a more than serviceable, top QB doesn’t really resonate. I feel like the game manager advocates are missing the point.

Cousins
Ryan
Rodgers

keasley45

Reaction score
GemCity":108kjeol said:
TwistedHusky":108kjeol said:
Tannehill is the best case scenario for a productive non-elite QB in today's NFL.

And you see it isn't enough.

Nobody took the Titans seriously because there was no reason to. Their QB was not a threat and so neither was the team.

You cannot advance deep in the playoffs as a run heavy team without an exceptional QB. Not in today's NFL.

And you absolutely CANNOT win with a game manager QB. Even with a tremendous defense and incredible rush game.

Wilson doesn't win the playoffs because we go in with the plan to use him as a game manager.

That puts you at disadvantage, and since teams tend to be more closely matched in the playoffs...there is less margin for error.

Tannehill is the best possible game manager type we could hope to get, and even on a much better team, with a much better coach - it still isn't enough.

If you don't have an elite QB or a great passing game, you don't have a chance.

100% agree.

Gorapolo played well enough. Dude is average. So because Tannehill had a bad game, the entire concept of leaning on a run balanced attack with a manager at qb is wrong? Ok

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
Can’t argue that he just played well enough. I mean, they are moving on (beating the Packers no less).

A win is a win is a …but, 11/19 for 131 yards and an INT typically won’t win games.

Jimmy Gs cap hit is around $25M.

I’d much rather pay Russ at his rate than have Jimmy G at his rate.

Btw…I don’t think either side of this argument (get a game manager vs paying out the wahzoo) is wrong. There’s so many variables involved…

I’ve always believed that a top tier defense is the key. Although, there seems to be a “shift” happening.

Long story short…pending prison time, there’s only one QB (well, at least out of those who may be obtainable) I’d take for Russ and that’s Watson,

These Tannehill, Carr, Daniel Jones posts make me vomit.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
AgentDib":20mboqz4 said:
A. 2021 Russ @ 32m
B. 2021 Tannehill @ 11m

That's thi's yaers cap hit for Tannehill. 2022's is $38.6 million with $57.4 million in dead cap, 2023's is $36.6 million with $18.8 million in dead cap. And last year for Tannehill? $22.5 million cap hit with $62 million dead.

If you start looking at actual cap hits over the life of the contracts, you're talking something like $10 million in savings between Wilson and Tannehill/Carr/Garoppolo type dudes. Whether people think that difference is worth it or not, okay, but you're not saving $20 million and getting Tannehill types. Maybe a Carson Wentz.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ambrose83":38xsuyir said:
TwistedHusky":38xsuyir said:
Tannehill is the best case scenario for a productive non-elite QB in today's NFL.

Nobody took the Titans seriously because there was no reason to. Their QB was not a threat and so neither was the team.

You cannot advance deep in the playoffs as a run heavy team without an exceptional QB. Not in today's NFL.

And you absolutely CANNOT win with a game manager QB. Even with a tremendous defense and incredible rush game.

Wilson doesn't win the playoffs because we go in with the plan to use him as a game manager.

That puts you at disadvantage, and since teams tend to be more closely matched in the playoffs...there is less margin for error.

Tannehill is the best possible game manager type we could hope to get, and even on a much better team, with a much better coach - it still isn't enough.

Odd the 9ers just did exactly what you say can't be done

I like the way Cowherd explained why the 49rs were able to get by the Packers in that play-off game.
He said, Rodgers played "NOT TO LOSE" and his "Play it Safe" conservatism, "Throw No Picks" cost him that game.
Man Bun Rodgers had the arm talent to beat the 9rs but thought that by just hanging onto a lead was all that he needed to do... Does that game plan sound familiar?
The 49rs Defense & Special Teams let it ALL hang out...They had to do something to make up for another anemic Garapolo outing.
We can only hope that IF Wilson decides he wants to stay with the Seahawks and give year two with Waldren another try, that SHOULD we make the play-offs NEXT season, that they play Balls Out and not play their usual Fart Around Football. :rumble:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
toffee":35hp4pgj said:
GemCity":35hp4pgj said:
Maelstrom787":35hp4pgj said:
GemCity":35hp4pgj said:
I’m going full John on you. Just one more of the names thrown out for a RW swap.

You anti-RW antagonists, trade for Bridgewater or Carr or Tua or…deserve reminders.

You’re crazy. You hate that he’s a role model, ideal community leader, his salary, his brand, his wife (“…she’ll prefer Vegas or NY for her career”).

Here’s to looking forward to another 5-7 with our future HOFer.

Russ has had performances like this in the postseason. I'm not sure what this post accomplishes.

It's alright to be critical of the product Russ is putting out on the field.

Mael…this forum is inundated with anti-RW rhetoric. It’s ok to be critical. Especially this year. But, the trade Russ posts , need a game manager, can’t do anything without the run game, yada yada is ridiculous at best.

when was the last time we went beyond first round playoff?

2019 when Wilson had no running game and had to do everything himself as usual. Lost by 5 to the packers. I suppose tannehill would have done better right?

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
scutterhawk":z8a1t2s8 said:
Ambrose83":z8a1t2s8 said:
TwistedHusky":z8a1t2s8 said:

I like the way Cowherd explained why the 49rs were able to get by the Packers in that play-off game.
He said, Rodgers played "NOT TO LOSE" and his "Play it Safe" conservatism, "Throw No Picks" cost him that game.
Man Bun Rodgers had the arm talent to beat the 9rs but thought that by just hanging onto a lead was all that he needed to do... Does that game plan sound familiar?
The 49rs Defense & Special Teams let it ALL hang out...They had to do something to make up for another anemic Garapolo outing.
We can only hope that IF Wilson decides he wants to stay with the Seahawks and give year two with Waldren another try, that SHOULD we make the play-offs NEXT season, that they play Balls Out and not play their usual Fart Around Football. :rumble:

Sounds real familiar!

toffee

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":lfe3mgpj said:
toffee":lfe3mgpj said:
GemCity":lfe3mgpj said:
Maelstrom787":lfe3mgpj said:
Russ has had performances like this in the postseason. I'm not sure what this post accomplishes.

It's alright to be critical of the product Russ is putting out on the field.

Mael…this forum is inundated with anti-RW rhetoric. It’s ok to be critical. Especially this year. But, the trade Russ posts , need a game manager, can’t do anything without the run game, yada yada is ridiculous at best.

2019 when Wilson had no running game and had to do everything himself as usual. Lost by 5 to the packers. I suppose tannehill would have done better right?

We lost, didn't we?

NINEster

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":4795kvxa said:

What a difference several years makes.

Carroll had the best timing ever. To leave college when he did.

To draft all those college guys he knew to get.

To still be in an era where defense could win championships.

Wilson was the beneficiary of all of that.

NINEster

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1ru025c4 said:
Ambrose83":1ru025c4 said:
TwistedHusky":1ru025c4 said:

You guys cannot talk about Garoppolo versus Green Bay with Wilson's track record in Green Bay.

Or any Niner QB for that matter versus that team.

Those Packer DCs have the secret Wilson sauce!

nwHawk

Reaction score
NINEster":666edkms said:
TwistedHusky":666edkms said:

What a difference several years makes.

Carroll had the best timing ever. To leave college when he did.

To draft all those college guys he knew to get.

To still be in an era where defense could win championships.

Wilson was the beneficiary of all of that.

I think the league made changes to stunt Pete. The NFL wants parity and story lines. Drama sells. And lots of college coaches have stepped up to the NFL with plenty of inside info on college kids - and they fail. Pete changed the culture of the Seahawks and guys bought in.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
toffee":334zv46z said:
pittpnthrs":334zv46z said:
toffee":334zv46z said:
GemCity":334zv46z said:

We lost, didn't we?

Yeah to a more talented and better coached team. All Wilson’s fault though right?

Latest posts