Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

razgriz737

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1n1dokrx said:
dumbrabbit":1n1dokrx said:
The World Cup adds playing time for draws at the end of regulation, don't they? They have a playoff system just like the MLS does. Why can't MLS do it?

Not in the group stage, only in the knockout rounds................and the MLS does have overtime and PK's for it's championship game.

It really is funny that some of you guys prefer overtime and PK's to aggregate, you literally are the ONLY people I know that like PK's. It's a ridiculous way of settling matches, and it's only done because soccer players can't run for four hours straight trying to settle a match. They'd all be in ambulances.
PK's suck. It's how shitty teams advance in tournaments. Bunker down and then hope for PK's.

I'm fine with the away goals rule. It stung to lose that way, but we knew it was a possibility going into it. Put simply, I want the MLS to do things the way the rest of the world does them, and this is just one of those things.

I've heard from neutral fans that these have been the most exciting playoffs to date.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sigi gets extended on a multi year contract. Fine with it after the year we had, although he is 61 and a heart attack waiting to happen.

We've declined options on: Josh Ford, Marcus Hahnemann, Onyekachi Apam, Djimi Traore, Tristan Bowen, Sean Okoli, Cam Weaver and Eriq Zavaleta, Jalil Anibaba (out of contract).

Only one i'm bummed about losing is Okoli- thought he had potential. Hahnemann is retiring.

253hawk

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2y8et7hi said:
Every North american sports league has odd-numbered series, why can't MLS do it? It's less confusing and better talent will always win.

Even the WNBA has this figured out. Best of 3! That was hard. A two game series is kind of dumb...if you have a bad first game for whatever reason, especially if it's at home, you may as well just pack it in for the second game or hope for a meteor strike. Hell, I'd take my changes in single-elimination over the aggregate crap. I just...I don't get how you can alter the value of goal scoring based on whether it was done at home or away. It's mind-blowing to have such a system in place at a professional level, and that's on top of how stupid aggregate is.

I couldn't even give two rat asses about the Sounders losing, so I have no bias here. It was just as stupid when they advanced because of it. Between that and all of the flopping, it's hard to believe anyone follows the sport close enough to give a damn. The only thing likable about watching soccer compared to any other sport is the lack of commercials.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
razgriz737":2qy6iy6r said:
Also bummed about Okoli. I read somewhere that Traore is retiring. Can't find a link at the moment.

Traore is retiring, but he wants to stay with the team as a coach in some capacity.

My hope is that Apam, the Nigerian defender they signed right before the international signing window closed can get healthy and return to form and fill in that CB position next to Marshall.

Scott worked his ass off, but he's not a starting CB in the MLS.........at least not on a Cup contending team like the Sounders.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hp1ixa6 said:
razgriz737":3hp1ixa6 said:
Also bummed about Okoli. I read somewhere that Traore is retiring. Can't find a link at the moment.

Traore is retiring, but he wants to stay with the team as a coach in some capacity.

My hope is that Apam, the Nigerian defender they signed right before the international signing window closed can get healthy and return to form and fill in that CB position next to Marshall.

Scott worked his ass off, but he's not a starting CB in the MLS.........at least not on a Cup contending team like the Sounders.

We cut Apam, apparently he just got fatter after moving to the states. Definitely need a CB, RB and a winger. Marshall was arguably our most crucial signing last year, a real difference maker.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Interesting:

Matt Pentz ‏@mattpentz 53s53 seconds ago
Schmid: "S2 is an ideal situation for Sean (Okoli) and with some of those other players as well."

Matt Pentz ‏@mattpentz 48s49 seconds ago
Schmid: Zach Scott is "not even sure he's going to come back" next season

Matt Pentz ‏@mattpentz 3m3 minutes ago
Schmid says freshening up the D is a top priority this offseason. Gonzalez and Scott "have been good soldiers, but they're getting older"

Ari Liljenwall ‏@arililjenwall 3m3 minutes ago
Youth in the backline/playmaking midfielder are biggest offseason priorities, Sigi says.

Surely another MLS team take Okolo before he makes S2?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1c1007jd said:
We cut Apam, apparently he just got fatter after moving to the states. Definitely need a CB, RB and a winger. Marshall was arguably our most crucial signing last year, a real difference maker.

Well that's disappointing.

Don't forget Yedlin's more than likely going to be gone. So maybe move Evans back to RB? Idk, but that'll be another position of need. I agree though on a winger, we haven't had a traditional winger since Flaco left.

Neagle's close, but his technical ability and touch are terrible......especially crossing the ball. Wingers need to be good crossers, especially with guys like Clint and Oba who need good service.

Storts

Reaction score
253hawk":3p54usfw said:
dumbrabbit":3p54usfw said:
Every North american sports league has odd-numbered series, why can't MLS do it? It's less confusing and better talent will always win.

Even the WNBA has this figured out. Best of 3! That was hard. A two game series is kind of dumb...if you have a bad first game for whatever reason, especially if it's at home, you may as well just pack it in for the second game or hope for a meteor strike. Hell, I'd take my changes in single-elimination over the aggregate crap. I just...I don't get how you can alter the value of goal scoring based on whether it was done at home or away. It's mind-blowing to have such a system in place at a professional level, and that's on top of how stupid aggregate is.

I couldn't even give two rat asses about the Sounders losing, so I have no bias here. It was just as stupid when they advanced because of it. Between that and all of the flopping, it's hard to believe anyone follows the sport close enough to give a damn. The only thing likable about watching soccer compared to any other sport is the lack of commercials.

:lol: :lol: Utter nonsense, there's a reason it's the most popular sport in the world

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Yedlin will be at spurs by january at the latest. Some are reporting he will be there next week. His days as a sounder are over.

Scott will likely retire (Hahnemann already has).

Gonzalez will need to be replaced. He will be a role player next season.

But first we have to get through the expansion draft. We will most likely lose Cooper or Barrett.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Storts":1d9voqlr said:
253hawk":1d9voqlr said:
dumbrabbit":1d9voqlr said:

:lol: :lol: Utter nonsense, there's a reason it's the most popular sport in the world
Doesn't say much for the world does it. :mrgreen:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
253hawk":2g8dzlfd said:
dumbrabbit":2g8dzlfd said:

How does playing three matches instead one two solve anything, there's still ties and therefore some sort of aggregate tie breaker needed.

So you're back to the overtime and PK's argument, which is what every league on the planet hates for tournament play.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Okay I get it. 3 games is too much. the MLS cup is one match. Why can't the rest of the playoffs be one match?

Away goal rule in basketball is saying a tie equals a win for the team that one the first game. Doesn't make much sense.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle's released their protected list for Wednesday's expansion draft.

Protected
Osvaldo Alonso
Chad Barrett
Clint Dempsey
Brad Evans
Stefan Frei
Chad Marshall
Obafemi Martins
Lamar Neagle
Marco Pappa (Int'l)
Gonzalo Pineda (Int'l)
Andy Rose

Automatically Protected
Aaron Kovar (Homegrown)
Damion Lowe (Int'l / Generation adidas)
Sean Okoli (Homegrown)
DeAndre Yedlin (Homegrown)

253hawk

Reaction score
Storts":ky8otmye said:

Yeah mean, it's riveting stuff.

uSFxjGg.gif

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":z5juhogt said:

Protected
Osvaldo Alonso
Chad Barrett
Clint Dempsey
Brad Evans
Stefan Frei
Chad Marshall
Obafemi Martins
Lamar Neagle
Marco Pappa (Int'l)
Gonzalo Pineda (Int'l)
Andy Rose

Automatically Protected
Aaron Kovar (Homegrown)
Sean Okoli (Homegrown)

Y'all ready for some new defenders?

cause Marshall might be the only one returning, lol.

253hawk

Reaction score
razgriz737":1nc6edi3 said:
You're not going to find many other soccer critics in a soccer thread...Let's just nip this in the bud.

Flopping is one thing and can be rather comical. Having it happen every 5 minutes and legitimately acting like your nose got pushed through your skull or your leg is broken in 14 places in career-ending fashion (before getting up and running off like nothing ever happened) is quite another.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Smurf":i598kyka said:
SeatownJay":i598kyka said:

Protected
Osvaldo Alonso
Chad Barrett
Clint Dempsey
Brad Evans
Stefan Frei
Chad Marshall
Obafemi Martins
Lamar Neagle
Marco Pappa (Int'l)
Gonzalo Pineda (Int'l)
Andy Rose

Automatically Protected
Aaron Kovar (Homegrown)
Sean Okoli (Homegrown)

Ha, you're right. This will be an interesting offseason to say the least.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
razgriz737":gbhw58at said:
Smurf":gbhw58at said:
SeatownJay":gbhw58at said:

Protected
Osvaldo Alonso
Chad Barrett
Clint Dempsey
Brad Evans
Stefan Frei
Chad Marshall
Obafemi Martins
Lamar Neagle
Marco Pappa (Int'l)
Gonzalo Pineda (Int'l)
Andy Rose

Automatically Protected
Aaron Kovar (Homegrown)
Sean Okoli (Homegrown)

Ha, you're right. This will be an interesting offseason to say the least.

Wow...Didn't think about that until you pointed it out Smurf. Looks more and more like Evans will be shifted to back, possibly Yedlin's replacement. Surprised they didn't protect Remick. Also Frei is the only remaining GK.