Sonics return

IndyHawk

Reaction score
That's how it worked with the Browns. Why would OKC even want history that isn't theirs?
The original Browns went to Baltimore, I'm not sure how all that
went down records wise but I do know the Colts have all the Baltimore
history. There was a local Baltimore Colts marching band that stayed
behind and marched for the Ravens years later.
Johnny Unitas used to visit both teams on game days, I was at a Colts
game when Unitas was visiting-standing on the sideline.
A few weeks later, I see him at a Ravens game on TV.

Msfann

Reaction score
The Thunder did not want the name but it's the franchise and records.
A new franchise can have the Sonics name but unless the Thunder release
the records to the new franchise,I don't see it happening.
I think Seattle had to get a new team by a certain date to get the history back and they missed it years ago. I could be wrong.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I think Seattle had to get a new team by a certain date to get the history back and they missed it years ago. I could be wrong.

There's definitely some verbiage that talked about 5 year timeline from 2008. I didn't realize that until Indy's comments sparked me to look into it. Now I'm a bit skeptical, but I do think the worst case scenario is that they have a shared history.

However, somebody on Reddit was pointing out that the only retired jersey in OKC is Nick Collision, who played most of his career there. If that's true, then it indicates they aren't super keen on pimping out Seattle's history as their own.

I think OKC gives Seattle their history back, simply because I don't think they want it. Who knows, though.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The original Browns went to Baltimore, I'm not sure how all that
went down records wise but I do know the Colts have all the Baltimore
history. There was a local Baltimore Colts marching band that stayed
behind and marched for the Ravens years later.
Johnny Unitas used to visit both teams on game days, I was at a Colts
game when Unitas was visiting-standing on the sideline.
A few weeks later, I see him at a Ravens game on TV.

The difference is that the Ravens were a new team name and logo and all that. The Colts are still the Colts. Maybe Unitas had a spot in his heart for both the franchise and the city of Baltimore?

Either way, I didn't realize this about the agreement, because everyone has been saying for years that Seattle will get their history back. However, after doing some digging, you might be right. I hope you aren't, though lol.

Maulbert

Reaction score
There's definitely some verbiage that talked about 5 year timeline from 2008. I didn't realize that until Indy's comments sparked me to look into it. Now I'm a bit skeptical, but I do think the worst case scenario is that they have a shared history.

However, somebody on Reddit was pointing out that the only retired jersey in OKC is Nick Collision, who played most of his career there. If that's true, then it indicates they aren't super keen on pimping out Seattle's history as their own.

I think OKC gives Seattle their history back, simply because I don't think they want it. Who knows, though.
Both Payton and Kemp told OKC not to retire their numbers, in less flowery language.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Get the sense the sports radio stations have been told but can't announce. Softy randomly tweeting super..... Today for example

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I don't get it, how can anyone get a new team and associate that with a team that left.. New team has no Sonic identity at all. You can't just get a new partner and declare it the same partner. That ship and all it's history is gone.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
This is the way RW3 can come back to the fanbase and city that loves him, pivot and recover Team3.

Each to their own, sure, the way things ended sucked, but that was half PC and JS too, as well (Russellism). I don't know how you don't love the guy, all qb's are like this, he just was protected by his system, and won us lots of beautiful games. Russ, you are not meant to be managed by pop star managers, grow a pair. Bring the Sonics back to Seattle Russ, because you can if you really want to, we don't hate you, we're just silly fans without the means you and Team3 have :)

Russ can choose to make a difference in DC or Seattle, Seattle put you on Russ.

Last edited:

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I don't get it, how can anyone get a new team and associate that with a team that left.. New team has no Sonic identity at all. You can't just get a new partner and declare it the same partner. That ship and all it's history is gone.
Didn't Seattle maintain the franchise rights to the name, colors, logo, history etc as part of the move to Oklahoma? I think they have to share the history with them now though. If they came back and were called something different, different colors etc I think people would be less interested.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Either way, I didn't realize this about the agreement, because everyone has been saying for years that Seattle will get their history back. However, after doing some digging, you might be right. I hope you aren't, though lol.
I'm guessing there will be a shared history or OKC will give it up after some $$$$$$$$$$$? Do OKC hang the sonics championship banner?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
There is no way in hell that WHEN the Sonics come back that they won't be able to retain their logo(s), colors, history.

NO WAY.

Imagine Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Detlef and others coming to the arena where the NBA team has a different name and colors?

Nope.

NOPE!!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Didn't Seattle maintain the franchise rights to the name, colors, logo, history etc as part of the move to Oklahoma? I think they have to share the history with them now though. If they came back and were called something different, different colors etc I think people would be less interested.
It wouldn't be the team.. wouldn't be the Sonics. All the names, logo and everything associated with the Sonics, need to be preserved to view, perhaps in the new stadium. Just feel, me personaly, that a new team has a new identity, I don';t think I could ever associate them with the SOnics.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's like if the Seattle Seahawks suddenly became the Seattle Skyrockets with a stupid pink and cyan color scheme with the stupid rocket shooting off into space.

NOPE!

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
It wouldn't be the team.. wouldn't be the Sonics. All the names, logo and everything associated with the Sonics, need to be preserved to view, perhaps in the new stadium. Just feel, me personaly, that a new team has a new identity, I don';t think I could ever associate them with the SOnics.
Wouldn't shock me if a geriatric Durant signs for the team by then and they make a big deal about him re-signing for the team that drafted him and play on that. Then immediately have ceremonies retiring Payton's number etc in the first few games.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Oklahoma City Has the history and records ..This was discussed earlier in
this thread.
They don't have to give back anything .. You got the 79 Trophy somewhere
and that's it.
Yes, they can use the Sonic name and colors but why would you want that?
The NBA and Stern like bandits plotted the Sonics out of Seattle.
Whatever floats your boat, I want no part of it -It's an ugly game now and I
am not giving the NBA one cent for their putrid product.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Oklahoma City Has the history and records ..This was discussed earlier in
this thread.
They don't have to give back anything .. You got the 79 Trophy somewhere
and that's it.
Yes, they can use the Sonic name and colors but why would you want that?
The NBA and Stern like bandits plotted the Sonics out of Seattle.
Whatever floats your boat, I want no part of it -It's an ugly game now and I
am not giving the NBA one cent for their putrid product.
I always find the owning the history part weird for any franchise that moves. No one in Oklahoma celebrated that championship or had parades. Kemp etc weren't stars in that city. Just like no one in Seattle probably cheers for Oklahoma.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I always find the owning the history part weird for any franchise that moves. No one in Oklahoma celebrated that championship or had parades. Kemp etc weren't stars in that city. Just like no one in Seattle probably cheers for Oklahoma.
I agree but they took the team and moved, nothing has made any sense
about it since.
This includes people wanting to support a league that literally stole their team,I
cannot understand that either.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If it makes you guys feel better, I only watch NBA games on bootleg streams. Therefore they aren't getting any additional ratings.