So what the heck has gotten into Penny

zhawk

Reaction score
He’s beginning to look like a real draft pick!

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I'd definitely need a prove it year from Penny though this is so good to see. I'm sure many may have that fear in the back of their minds that he was skating until it was time to get 5-12 million dollars.

keasley45

Reaction score
Health.

I haven't exactly been in the guy's corner during his time here but that was because he showed a tendency to dance a bit too much in the backfield waiting for the homerun.

But the FO should never have been blasted the way they were for picking him. If injury was a concern coming out of college, he was the hands down logical pick over Chubb. Just so happened their respective injury fortunes flipped when they hit the NFL. Dude has just been unlucky.

But it seems he's been coached up pretty well to hit the holes and get plus yardage. He looks like a different back. On the broadcast, they said it's been AP's influence that's made the difference. If that's the case, I say you pay Adrian to move to Seattle and be Penny's best friend from here on out.

seabowl

Reaction score
His agent told him to tough it out and play the last half of this season so he can get a good second contract next year.

I really can’t stand when this happens

blaisio

Reaction score
I read on the next Gen stats he was +75 yards over expected on his 170 today.

jeremiah

Reaction score
SNDavidson":1cg4s9op said:
I'd definitely need a prove it year from Penny though this is so good to see. I'm sure many may have that fear in the back of their minds that he was skating until it was time to get 5-12 million dollars.

AP had the knee injury, just like Lucky Penny. There is a fear factor in that you think about the knee every time you play. AP simply told him to lay it on the line and let the chips fall however they do. He modeled HOW to prepare, and it is no coincidence that Lucky Penny played like he cared the same week AP joined the team.

Think of what Carson would be doing after a long run. He definitely would have called for Oxygen, putting his hand up for a breather. Carson was never the answer, he is just a poser. PC saw in him a chance to blow up defenders like Lynch. Not going to happen. Imagine what the running game would be like if they had a FB/TE to block at the POA?

OP
OP
Z

zhawk

Reaction score
keasley45":1fyfpr2e said:
Health.

I haven't exactly been in the guy's corner during his time here but that was because he showed a tendency to dance a bit too much in the backfield waiting for the homerun.

But the FO should never have been blasted the way they were for picking him. If injury was a concern coming out of college, he was the hands down logical pick over Chubb. Just so happened their respective injury fortunes flipped when they hit the NFL. Dude has just been unlucky.

But it seems he's been coached up pretty well to hit the holes and get plus yardage. He looks like a different back. On the broadcast, they said it's been AP's influence that's made the difference. If that's the case, I say you pay Adrian to move to Seattle and be Penny's best friend from here on out.

I believe this to be a really good point of view, however I’m puzzled by his inability to remain healthy. Was it just bad luck or poor conditioning? Or was he just not ready for the next level?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Guys contract is up and he needs a paycheck next season. Thats whats gotten into him. Once somebody pays him, he'll sink back into obscurity.

lkjhpoiu

Reaction score
My feeling is that it is opponents and O-Line.

If the O-Line can open an uncontested hole for him then he can blow through it (as compared to Lynch who would just open the hole himself if needed). Against the low-rated opponents, the line has been opening those holes and he's been feasting on it.

I think he'd be a great back with a good+ O-Line but that just isn't what he's had here.

Also, I don't think he gets as skinny in the hole as Collins and clearly doesn't try to open the hole like Carson. So it's really been just apparent against these opponents.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
$10Mil for transition tag is pretty hefty. I would think Penny is going to look for a longer contract with more guarantees due to his injury. Maybe he could get a 3 year $20 Mil but not sure if any teams are that desperate.

chris98251

Reaction score
We seen flashes of this when he and Carson both came back after their last injuries, the last injurie I think he came back protecting it, AP got in his head and basically told you have to go all out every play practice or game and hit them first.

That is the more aggressive Penny we are seeing now, now will it matter to the Seahawks in a resign? Will it carry over to next season?

Those are the questions if your John and Pete you have to be asking and then his penchant to get injured in the NFL.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Penny when healthy and before the knee injury showed his
talent against good teams..We all saw the stat up there of who
has the most 20+ yrd runs this season-Taylor has like 3 more with
over 200 more carries to Penny's 88.
There is no denying the talent and I would say he's better than Carson
except when coming to camp in shape..Both of their injury histories suck.
Carson is done now..That fused neck is not going take the pounding.
He can be cut for like $2-3 million?That is going to happen as it was a
non team workout injury to begin with.

OP
OP
Z

zhawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3nhvd6fq said:
Guys contract is up and he needs a paycheck next season. Thats whats gotten into him. Once somebody pays him, he'll sink back into obscurity.

I have a hard time believing that a pro actually chooses to slack, although I agree that there are athletes that are lazy or not as motivated. We’ve all known people that just do enough but can’t go the extra step.

I think that it is a combination of desire, talent, opportunity, money and internal drive. Only a few have all, and many times they are subjected to criticism and vitriol. And then there’s the self destructing attitude that all of us fight.

It’s a difficult task to achieve greatness, and few can, but as one man has said...”Why not me?”

keasley45

Reaction score
zhawk":2yfwkkef said:
keasley45":2yfwkkef said:
Health.

I believe this to be a really good point of view, however I’m puzzled by his inability to remain healthy. Was it just bad luck or poor conditioning? Or was he just not ready for the next level?

I think the chain of injuries have come from overtraining or overworking muscles on the non injured side of the body when compensating for his injury during recovery.

That can be a slippery slope for a non elite athlete doing far less strenuous work than the typical NFL player.

I stressed a ligament in my foot during a misstep on a jog a few years ago. The collateral injuries that followed kept me hobbled for almost a year after the original injury healed. Planter on my right foot became a calf injury on my left leg. That became a lower back injury on my right side. Then left and finally a right calf and hip. All Triggered by my muscles constantly working differently to cover for each individual injury.

It didn't stop until i stopped running and took up swimming for a few months.

His original knee injury was just bad luck.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
jeremiah":8mshabnu said:
SNDavidson":8mshabnu said:
I'd definitely need a prove it year from Penny though this is so good to see. I'm sure many may have that fear in the back of their minds that he was skating until it was time to get 5-12 million dollars.[/qu's ote]

AP had the knee injury, just like Lucky Penny. There is a fear factor in that you think about the knee every time you play. AP simply told him to lay it on the line and let the chips fall however they do. He modeled HOW to prepare, and it is no coincidence that Lucky Penny played like he cared the same week AP joined the team.

Think of what Carson would be doing after a long run. He definitely would have called for Oxygen, putting his hand up for a breather. Carson was never the answer, he is just a poser. PC saw in him a chance to blow up defenders like Lynch. Not going to happen. Imagine what the running game would be like if they had a FB/TE to block at the POA?

THIS. I have said it on this forum that I could not understand Pete not giving Penny more touches from the get go. And not using Penny's strengths as a game changing back. Instead he fixated on trying to force him into the Lynch way of punishing the opponent's d line. Penny needed enough touches to get in rhythm. I too hated how Carson always pulled himself out of the game and was never available for the big game. Even if the hawks don't bring back Penny...I will be furious if Carson comes back.

jeremiah

Reaction score
zhawk":1ht2e90x said:
keasley45":1ht2e90x said:
Health.

He was playing scared, so every little tweak and injury had him thinking THIS IS IT AGAIN.... If he would blow his knee out again, he is DUN with football.

toffee

Reaction score
Our run blocking has been good in the past games, there were gaps for Penny to run though, and he timed his burst though those gaps wonderfully. But those gaps were there for him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
keasley45":352hbbq7 said:
Health.

You nailed it. Health and AP’s influence. Maybe this is his “Nolan Ryan” moment when Randy Johnson had a talk with NR and RJ went from a decent pitcher to a great dominating pitcher. One can hope.

sutz

Reaction score
IIRC, he came into camp his rookie year out of shape. That led to some nagging injuries that slowed him down that first year, and probably led to some muscle problems. The knee was just bad luck. Seems to happen to a lot of RBs. Then lingering crap over his first three years. He's finally healthy, and I think AP gave him some knowledge of the "it always hurts anyway" type and maybe coached him about the difference between being sore/hurt and actually being injured. It's been a good run the past few games TBS.

Tough decisions this off-season. But hell, I'd re-sign him if they can. Maybe an incentive laden deal of some kind.