Sherm is back. On Bobby Wagner…

chrispy

Reaction score
Will 6m get us a good comp pick? ...maybe?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Classy, as always 🥹
He wasn't all that classy when he left last time.
He tried to say they never even called him to let him know they were releasing him & he found out about it on twitter. He admitted later that this wasn't true but fans still believe it to this day.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Yikes...

Maybe I'm the outlier here, but I wasn't bothered by what Sherman said.

I thought his premise was that there is an inclination to expect loyalty from players to a team or fanbase. However, that loyalty is rarely reciprocated. Fans take it personally when a player "leaves", but celebrate when a player is cut to make way for a younger/cheaper/better player.

I would have liked to at least offered Bobby something to stay. Say.... a couple million and if he left for a better offer, well, so be it. . That's why I probably fly airplanes instead of manage football teams.

I'm super biased though as a USU alumnus. I honestly think Bobby may have arguably cracked his way into the top 5 Seahawks of all time and without question top 10.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Yikes...

I thought his premise was that there is an inclination to expect loyalty from players to a team or fanbase. However, that loyalty is rarely reciprocated. Fans take it personally when a player "leaves", but celebrate when a player is cut to make way for a younger/cheaper/better player.

I would have liked to at least offered Bobby something to stay. Say.... a couple million and if he left for a better offer, well, so be it. . That's why I probably fly airplanes instead of manage football teams.

I'm super biased though as a USU alumnus. I honestly think Bobby may have arguably cracked his way into the top 5 Seahawks of all time and without question top 10.
Sherman is retired and doing a Podcast so why should I be angry over someone trying to make the money they actually deserve while being completely irrelevant?

olyfan63

Reaction score
He wasn't all that classy when he left last time.
He tried to say they never even called him to let him know they were releasing him & he found out about it on twitter. He admitted later that this wasn't true but fans still believe it to this day.
Just Sherm being Sherm... in between drinks. I mostly enjoy Sherman and his takes. Now, it's just the business he's in, faux outrage for eyeballs and clicks.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Just Sherm being Sherm... in between drinks. I mostly enjoy Sherman and his takes. Now, it's just the business he's in, faux outrage for eyeballs and clicks.
My post that you quoted was about Bobby Wagner & had nothing to do with Richard Sherman.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Yikes...

Problem is just saying that with no specifics is just a straw man.. who's saying players should be loyal but not teams? In what situations? Whats an example of a Seahawk who people said what disloyal? Did these same people say the Seahawks arent acting disloyal by cutting Bobby?

With no specific examples Sherm is just blowing hot air

rjdriver

Reaction score
Problem is just saying that with no specifics is just a straw man.. who's saying players should be loyal but not teams? In what situations? Whats an example of a Seahawk who people said what disloyal? Did these same people say the Seahawks arent acting disloyal by cutting Bobby?

With no specific examples Sherm is just blowing hot air
Fair ...

For me, it's more anecdotal. In my lifetime of participating on forums and chatting with others, it seems fans get perturbed at a perceived loss of loyalty when a player moves on but have zero problem jettisoning a player if the younger/better/cheaper is waiting in the winds.

I'm not saying "people demand loyalty of players but not teams", but just that they seem more emotionally tolerant of teams cutting ties. Makes sense though right? We as superfans become emotional attached to the player. It's more personal, where as the team isn't personified.

I also believe there have been plenty of times we have directly and indirectly accused Seahawks players of being disloyal. Look at the million Russ threads. Kam Chancellor holdout at the time. Earl flipping Pete off and pitching the Cowboys. Ubiquitous talk of "hometown discount".

Here's the biggest non Seahawks example. College coaches preaching the lack of loyalty kids feel towards a program post NIL and portal while simultaneously taking the next "bigger" and more lucrative college program. Kids are called selfish and disloyal and the coaches are lauded for natural career progression.

As far as Sherm just blowing hot air, 110 percent brother. That's his job and that's what he as always done. Sherman is an intelligent dude, but I've never thought he was as smart as he thinks he is. He parlays his Stanford roll into being some sort of Rhodes scholar.

RiverDog

Reaction score
What about Bobby's loyalty? Why not retire a Seahawk and coach?
And coach? How do we know that any former player would make a good coach?

Nothing against Bobby, but there's a lot more evidence out there that great, HOF players make lousy coaches more so than there is the opposite.

On the other hand, there's a ton of evidence that players with very little NFL playing experience make great coaches. The three best coaches in our franchise history, ie Pete Carroll, Chuck Knox, and Mike Holmgren all had very modest if any NFL playing experience.

knownone

Reaction score
Yikes...

Most people were probably unbothered by the sentiment. It's a fairly vanilla perspective in 2024. However, Sherm has repeatedly used this argument to justify joining the Niners when arguing with some fans. And his argument—in that case—was lousy because it conflated fans with the front office.

That's where the backlash to his comments is likely coming from. Whether he intended it or not, he's basically using Bobby as a proxy to expand on that polarizing issue.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Yikes...

Interesting and valid.

I understand what you're saying . Us fans want it both ways and often feel scorn for those who leave for greener pastures. It's not right .

I think in this particular case , MM JS are wanting a fresh start , have a clean break from the last regime. Of course that's a guess. Or maybe they want to go younger and faster , which is what they've appeared to do.

You'd think Sherman would understand.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sherm is now a Media guy, he I believe got his degree in that arena as well, like Madonna said good or bad publicity is publicity and your name is a headline. There is now such thing as bad publicity so while he is out of the mainstream due to his pending DUI situation he is still getting hits and clicks and name in lights.

flv2

Reaction score
I think there's a big difference between the Seahawks not matching the top FA offer for a long-time hometown player and the Chargers trading a long-time hometown player for a 4th round pick.

Latest posts