Shefter: Grubb the new OC

Jac

Reaction score
I wanna be excited. I just can't yet buy into the certainty of the flashy college offense working nearly as well in the pros. From what I understand, we are getting a pass heavy, single read offense? And one that was solved by a defense led by a former NFL coach in the national championship game.

Hope he is adept at scheming a good ground game.

And I'm not at all saying he can't. I just need to see it work. Because from where I sit, I feel like we have an offense that's ready to go, and just handed it to a guy who will have to figure things out at the pro level to realize it's potential.
I for sure get the careful skepticism (pretty much every NFL fan gets their offseason hope crushed in the fall...) I don't know how these interviews go, but I'd have to think that Macdonald heavily vetted Grubb on why he thinks his offense (and associated tweaks) could be successful against an NFL defense, against his defense, etc.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
We've assembled the UW crew on offense, a most interesting and unexpected development. Had you told me that at the start of the season, I'd think that you were higher than Snoop Dog and Martha Stewart after a tolerance break.

I think this is a move that has the potential to have big dividends. All that being said, it is quite risky to have this much inexperience at the NFL level. Grubbs was a true terror at the collegiate level.

This is the type of out of the box thinking that'll sink or cause the Seahawks to develop into a Titan.

We're about to have a very interesting draft and offseason. This draft is the thing that has me most excited right now. With the hiring of Grubbs, we now have insider information on both Michigan and UW, the two most potent NCAA teams this year. We also know more than any NFL team could ever hope to about Penix and McCarthy, the two QB's most likely to be available if we decide to go that route.
I’ll be just as fascinated to watch what happens with UDFAs. There’s a good chance that bringing in some fresh college blood gives us some insight into hidden gems that will be passed over in the draft.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I’m ok rolling with Penix, as long as we don’t stop there. If there’s another QB that Jon likes later in the draft, you take him too.

Then, need to be ready to draft a QB prospect, or two, every year until we hit on the riight one.

Meanwhile, shed cap space.

Jac

Reaction score
I’m ok rolling with Penix, as long as we don’t stop there. If there’s another QB that Jon likes later in the draft, you take him too.

Then, need to be ready to draft a QB prospect, or two, every year until we hit on the riight one.

Meanwhile, shed cap space.
Yes, please. Let's finally get back to drafting a QB somewhere in the draft nearly every year.

cymatica

Reaction score
Am I the only one who's just as happy knowing a few million cousin-f***ing Alabama fans are about to be up in arms that we poached Grubb from right under their noses? This just keeps getting better.
They are convincing themselves it was DeBoners offense and Grubb was just calling his plays

cymatica

Reaction score
Michigan exposed him. With or without Penix Seahawks offense will struggle at first under this new regime. I like the staff there's just no way they get things rolling year one or even two.
Michigan exposed Penix(or Penix choked under the spotlight) while Johnson's injury allowed them to ignore the run. There were receivers open all game that Penix missed, and a couple easy catches that were dropped. Grubb actually called a good game that could have easily gone the other way

Jac

Reaction score
Am I the only one who's just as happy knowing a few million cousin-f***ing Alabama fans are about to be up in arms that we poached Grubb from right under their noses? This just keeps getting better.
It's a once-in-a-lifetime dynamic given how unlikely this fact set is. It's definitely something that adds to my happiness about it.

cymatica

Reaction score
This is big news. Or, at least an indication of how a really big facet of this is considered to go.

Huff is a big, big get and is one of the reasons I'm high on this hiring.

Sounds like Shepard is coming to Seattle as well

Jac

Reaction score
Sounds like Shepard is coming to Seattle as well
There is definitely some chatter about this. The fact that they don't have to move homes and get to graduate to the NFL under a new coaching staff who will be given a long leash is huge. Alabama is obviously high profile as well, but anything short of a national championship (and, in fact, a single loss in a season) is considered a failure. I mean this is a pretty easy decision for some of these guys.

Jac

Reaction score
Where do you see Shepard is coming to Seattle?
It's spread throughout various tweets discussing Grubb. It's definitely in the "rumor" category for now. We'll likely have to twist in the wind all weekend on this stuff...

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Shout out to Jody Allen. Lord knows how big of a bag she had to drop to pry Grubb outta the hands of those boosters.
Sweet union money, definitely picturing the little train and money bag from "north vs. south"

Somos doces

Reaction score
I don't know how this will turn out but I like it a lot. The Seahawks were getting like the movie Groundhog Day living the same day (season) over and over. Things are going to be different this season. It's all going to be fresh and exciting, at least for a while. Really looking forward to the season.
Ditto. I hope fans are willing to be patient for a year or three while the staff builds their chosen roster and works out the kinks in their systems. Looking forward to watching the process unfold!

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Ditto. I hope fans are willing to be patient for a year or three while the staff builds their chosen roster and works out the kinks in their systems. Looking forward to watching the process unfold!
We're in a spot similar to the Detroit org and fan base were 3 years ago. And look where the Lions are now. Franchise completely turned around and competing at the highest level!

Excited and looking forward to this ride!

CPHawk

Reaction score
Reports have been that JS was pissed out how we used DK. This move means DK will start getting the ball a lot more. I’m curious about Locketts future here though, he’s making a ton of money and on the backside of his career. He will need to restructure his contract at the least.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Reports have been that JS was pissed out how we used DK. This move means DK will start getting the ball a lot more. I’m curious about Locketts future here though, he’s making a ton of money and on the backside of his career. He will need to restructure his contract at the least.
Reports also indicate most fans were pissed about how DK was being used. And JSN. And TEs. General offensive play calling head scratching - good luck Caleb Williams -

And yes - Lockett will hopefully r/s. Dude is (usually) clutch when he’s given the chance.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
We're in a spot similar to the Detroit org and fan base were 3 years ago. And look where the Lions are now. Franchise completely turned around and competing at the highest level!

Excited and looking forward to this ride!
I do wish we had our 2nd rd pick. Unless we resign Leo - but I hope Johnny boy goes full Johnny and trades for picks and trades back. I can see them getting great value in 3 and 4 rds. We all know the 5th rounder is a given starter as long as it’s a defensive back.

Edit: that 5th round success may have been a Pete thing. We will see

Last edited: