Seattle Sounders 2018 Season

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":16jq0gsj said:
Could be better, could be worse. It wasn't 1-3 but that first half it could have been. Played a bit better 2nd half. We tend to do better against them in Seattle.

Losing Marshall and Roldan is a bit of a disaster though. I hope Smith is back and Shipp starts (if Roldan is out). Torres will have to do at cb.

Smith is a big one, we've lost so much steady play at the back as well as an attacking threat down the left side since he's been out.

But for his injury I'd be shocked if he's even going to be available.

I'd hate for this type of incredible comeback season to end at the hands of the god damn Timbers. That's just cruel.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":96ugnrpy said:
Well..............we got a road goal, that's about as much lipstick as I can put on that pig of a match.

Marshall's one of the toughest players in the league, so hopefully he can go, cause we desperately need him for the 2nd leg.

I've watched the Roldan VAR non call, and I go back and forth on it. Goalie didn't make contact with the ball, and did make contact with Roldan, so idk, seems like it should have been called.

Moral of the story, win 1-0 Thursday.

I think the reason it wasn't called is because Roldan leaves his foot there to drag along the keeper. There is certainly contact, but the attacker did nothing to avoid it (which is part of the rule) and maybe even helped initiate it.

I did, however, still think they were going to give it. Don't think either team could complain with whatever call was made. it was that close.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":1rxtellv said:
Sgt. Largent":1rxtellv said:
Marshall to have season ending miniscus surgery.

https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2018/11 ... us-surgery

Someone start slapping the cheeseburgers out of Roman's hands.

Where do you get that it is season ending?

I dont know the time line from the 2nd leg to the final, but a torn meniscus will be 3 weeks to 3 months before recovery. Football players have come back within 2 weeks, but those aren't running backs and wide receivers, they are linemen and pocket Qbs

JSeahawks

Reaction score

knownone

Reaction score
I haven't followed the Sounders as closely as in years past but I've found time to get tickets to the game tomorrow night. Get the bonfire ready!

knownone

Reaction score
I'll never understand why every team doesn't put their 3 best PK shooters first. Portland did and they won, Seattle did not and they lost. I know the star always wants to be 5th but that seems to backfire more often than not.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Very good game. All the intensity of a rivalry.

Good to see the MLS doesnt carry the away rule into extra time.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Tough loss. Felt Marshall and Roldans absence was really felt. Especially with so many corners that Marshall is great at headering in.

Felt Ozzy didn't have a great game and the penalty miss later summed it up.

Some second goal by Ruidiaz.

Laughed at Portland players celebrating after extra time.

Penalties are a crap shoot.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":xunybrkh said:
Good to see the MLS doesnt carry the away rule into extra time.

Someone should tell the Timbers.

As I was staring at the ceiling in bed trying to unwind my anger from losing, the only silver lining was the resolution that what we saw is the reason I love soccer so much..........even with a terrible result.

That was a fantastic match with everything you'd want out of a soccer match. Blistering goal by Ruidiaz, back and forth, players exhausted but still digging deep because the match meant so much...........and then the drama of PK's.

Soccer is cruel, but I can't quit you!!

Smurf

Reaction score
That was the best soccer game I've ever had the pleasure of seeing live.

It's a shame we lost, but I have no regrets about that game or this season.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
SEATTLE, WASH. – Seattle Sounders FC today announced that it is exercising the 2019 contract options of 10 players, placing the club's current roster at 22 players heading into next season. With Sounders FC's 2018 campaign coming to a close following the club’s 10th consecutive postseason appearance, Seattle’s 2019 roster officially begins to take shape following today’s news.

“We’re excited to bring back the majority of players on our squad to make another strong run in 2019,” said Sounders FC General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey. “It’s always difficult to make these decisions at the end of every season, but ultimately we’re excited about the group we have in place and what we can accomplish next year.”

The following players saw their options exercised for 2019: goalkeeper Bryan Meredith; defenders Kim Kee-hee, Chad Marshall and Jordan McCrary; midfielders Jordy Delem, Alex Roldan, Cristian Roldan, Harry Shipp, Gustav Svensson and Henry Wingo.

Twelve players were already under contract for 2019, including goalkeeper Stefan Frei; defenders Waylon Francis, Kelvin Leerdam, Nouhou, Román Torres and Brad Smith; midfielders Handwalla Bwana, Nicolás Lodeiro and Víctor Rodríguez; forwards Will Bruin, Jordan Morris and Raúl Ruidíaz.

https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2018/11 ... 10-players

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":f3agwbrd said:
It'll be interesting to see where Ozzie winds up playing next year.

He might be back, just no way in hell we were going to renew his contract for another year at 1.1M.

knownone

Reaction score
Is there any merit to these Luis Suarez to the Sounders rumors? I've had like 10 people tell me this over the past 2 days and I've even read a fricken article about it.

It sounds like one of the most obviously fake rumors to me. His transfer fee would be somewhere between 20-50 million, his contract is currently is 2 to 3 times what the highest paid player in MLS makes. What am I missing? Is this just one of those silly season reports where they justify reporting on fantasies because someone on the team is friends with a big name player, or is there actual substance to this that I am missing.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":2pjco9zh said:
Is there any merit to these Luis Suarez to the Sounders rumors? I've had like 10 people tell me this over the past 2 days and I've even read a fricken article about it.

It sounds like one of the most obviously fake rumors to me. His transfer fee would be somewhere between 20-50 million, his contract is currently is 2 to 3 times what the highest paid player in MLS makes. What am I missing? Is this just one of those silly season reports where they justify reporting on fantasies because someone on the team is friends with a big name player, or is there actual substance to this that I am missing.

No. Luis Suarez is not coming to the MLS... yet.

Could see him in the MLS when the contract runs out. But the transfer fee and the fact that Barca dont currently have his replacement make it unlikely he moves for anything less than a max fee

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
It's wishful thinking on Suarez. Lodeiro is friends with him and has been encouraging him to come but if he comes to MLS it will be in a few years i'd guess.

I did hear Servando Carrasco mentioned as a possible pick up which would probably mean goodbye to Ozzy.