Seattle Sounders 2015 Season Thread

Smurf

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattpentz/status/667134775761629185[/tweet]

In case anyone was curious why Brad Evans is this teams captain....thats it right there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Spounge84":3h2k98cq said:
Sounders have offered Jordan Morris the richest homegrown player contract in history.

http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2015/11/ ... ls-history

I won't lie, I'm nervous about Morris ever playing in a Sounders kit. I just get the sneaky suspicion he's got his sites set on forgoing MLS and starting his career overseas. This is especially true if Klinsmann does what he does with all his players, hold that Euro carrot over their heads and trash MLS.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3l58t7a6 said:
Spounge84":3l58t7a6 said:
Sounders have offered Jordan Morris the richest homegrown player contract in history.

I won't lie, I'm nervous about Morris ever playing in a Sounders kit. I just get the sneaky suspicion he's got his sites set on forgoing MLS and starting his career overseas. This is especially true if Klinsmann does what he does with all his players, hold that Euro carrot over their heads and trash MLS.

If its a top tiered team in one of the major leagues (Germany, Portugal, Spain, England, France, Italy) i'd be all for it. he's young enough to bounce back if it doesn't work out. If its anything less than that he should stay home.

Klinsman doesn't do that, by the way. He correctly values the experiences of Europe's top leagues as far more enriching than the MLS for his top tiered players. He's also never once pushed a player from the USMNT because of their professional choices.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":r06xhai5 said:
Klinsman doesn't do that, by the way. He correctly values the experiences of Europe's top leagues as far more enriching than the MLS for his top tiered players. He's also never once pushed a player from the USMNT because of their professional choices.

No not pushed, but he has many times openly criticized our most valued USMNT players for their choice to play in the MLS.

So sorry, I wouldn't put it past Klinsmann to put pressure on these younger players to not play in the MLS.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":30nq06en said:
Uncle Si":30nq06en said:

No not pushed, but he has many times openly criticized our most valued USMNT players for their choice to play in the MLS.

So sorry, I wouldn't put it past Klinsmann to put pressure on these younger players to not play in the MLS.

He's permitted that. He's the coach of the USMNT. And if he wants to push players to push themselves than what's wrong with it?

Most national coaches don't have to ask their players to find the most competitive environments to get better in. The US does, and gets criticized for it? I think fans of the MLS get too protective of it. It is what it is, and until Klinsmann starts withholding team selections or playing time from players IN the MLS then I don't see a problem.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ld02qnt said:
Sgt. Largent":3ld02qnt said:
Spounge84":3ld02qnt said:

If its a top tiered team in one of the major leagues (Germany, Portugal, Spain, England, France, Italy) i'd be all for it. he's young enough to bounce back if it doesn't work out. If its anything less than that he should stay home.

As a Sounders fan: Going anywhere but Sounders/Stanford is 100% against what he has said for the past 18 months. He said he plans to go from Stanford to the Sounders. With S2, there is plenty of playing time available...but with the age of our star strikers, getting 15-30 at the end of matches is also definitely possible. Especially with the players we have "in front of him" right now. Once he's here, he'll still have to prove to Sigi he needs playing time.

As a USMNT: It doesn't matter where he goes, as long as he gets minutes there and continues to progress his game. For me, that is no longer Stanford. He was the PAC12 player of the year, and is a regular selection for the USMNT squad. He needs to hit the next tier of competition whether it be MLS or another club...but the biggest thing is wherever he goes, he must play. The Sounders/S2 may not be the best option for him as a player looking to get minutes.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
S2 should not be an option for a player pushing himself to be a starter on the USMNT.

Playing time at that level is not going to help him. Hell, I'd suggest that S2 isn't the "next tier" of soccer above Pac 12, D1 soccer. Might even be a step down.

He needs and deserves regular playing time at a high level. I'm fairly certain he will be a Sounder because I don't think Europe is quite aware of him. But, he's already 21, and if he has any ambitions towards playing at an elite level he needs to make his push for it very soon. That doesn't mean he can't sign with the Sounders, but he should ensure they would be willing to part with him should Europe come calling.

Smurf

Reaction score
Couple things from the past few days with some end of season press conferences:

-Lagerway indicated there wasn't even a conversation about whether Sigi would be back or not.
-Lagerway said the club "Didn't even get close" to their goal of winning MLS Cup.
-Lagerway has also said that the club will look to get Younger and faster this offseason.
-Ways to do this include signing more Homegrown players, and promoting certain S2 players.
-Oalex Anderson will be training with the first team in pre-season.
-S2 will move towards more cultivation of young players, than results driven. Especially with the team now being excluded from the USOC.
-Brad Evans has indicated that he expects to be starting CB next to Chad Marshall next season, but is open to moving to left back when Torres returns. He has expressed his preference to stay in the back 4.
-The club has acknowledged the Alonso situation, and admits that his contract has become an issue. Sigi indicated that he would like to keep Ozzie.
-The team STILL has allocation money to spend. It was rumored before that they has used it all during the summer window, but looks like they could again be active in january....But...
-The team currently has no open International roster slots. Here are the 9 Players in the 8 Spots: Correa (DL), Fisher, Friberg, Ivanschitz, Lowe, Martins, Mears, Thomas, Torres, Valdez. Correa doesn't count towards the 8 due to his DL status. The team would need either move a player, trade for another spot, or Have the player acquire a green card to sign another foreign player.

Also, kind of interesting is that next season we may see some new Club Record holders for the Sounders.

Goals - Montero with 47. Martins is only 7 behind him.
Assists - Rosales/Montero with 34. Martins and Dempsey are 11 and 14 behind, respectively.
GK Games - Keller has 93. Frei is on 65 right now.
Shutouts - Keller has 30, Frei has 19

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1v66vs5n said:
S2 should not be an option for a player pushing himself to be a starter on the USMNT.

Playing time at that level is not going to help him. Hell, I'd suggest that S2 isn't the "next tier" of soccer above Pac 12, D1 soccer. Might even be a step down.

He needs and deserves regular playing time at a high level. I'm fairly certain he will be a Sounder because I don't think Europe is quite aware of him. But, he's already 21, and if he has any ambitions towards playing at an elite level he needs to make his push for it very soon. That doesn't mean he can't sign with the Sounders, but he should ensure they would be willing to part with him should Europe come calling.

I think with Yedlin we have set the precedent that we are Ok doing so....and I 100% agree about S2 not being a legit option for him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3rkht1ce said:
Sgt. Largent":3rkht1ce said:
Uncle Si":3rkht1ce said:

He's permitted that. He's the coach of the USMNT. And if he wants to push players to push themselves than what's wrong with it?

Most national coaches don't have to ask their players to find the most competitive environments to get better in. The US does, and gets criticized for it? I think fans of the MLS get too protective of it. It is what it is, and until Klinsmann starts withholding team selections or playing time from players IN the MLS then I don't see a problem.

Of course he's permitted, I was just qualifying as to why I'm reticent that Jordan won't take the Sounders offer and find a club in Europe.

I'm a selfish Sounders fan, I want to see Morris here, at least for a couple years...........and if Klinsmann is in his ear dangling USMNT time over him, then that's one more thing pushing him towards Europe.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I understand that, I also think you're being a bit paranoid. My thought is that Jordan Morris would take the offer that makes the most sense to him, not because of Klinsmann.

Remember, Klinsmann's criticisms were for his top, top players leaving Europe for the MLS. He felt that was too easy for them. I'm sure he understands that younger players need to find environments that are both challenging and nurturing.

And Smurf, the Sounders sold both Yedlin and Montero, so no doubt they are willing. My thought for Morris would be that he would want that release clause.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3j9f2hz8 said:
I understand that, I also think you're being a bit paranoid. My thought is that Jordan Morris would take the offer that makes the most sense to him, not because of Klinsmann.

Remember, Klinsmann's criticisms were for his top, top players leaving Europe for the MLS. He felt that was too easy for them. I'm sure he understands that younger players need to find environments that are both challenging and nurturing.

And Smurf, the Sounders sold both Yedlin and Montero, so no doubt they are willing. My thought for Morris would be that he would want that release clause.

Fair.

Smurf

Reaction score
razgriz737":il8kvpgr said:
Rumor confirmed:
https://twitter.com/MLSist/status/671754575930597376

Sounds like DC is sending us some allocation money in return.

Official Smurf Opinion on the matter:

I approve. He was a player who while talented was keeping younger plays off the pitch. This is part of the youth movement we have been hearing about. This will allow players like Aaron Kovar to develop more through increased playing time.

Allocation money also helps us out fairly significantly. We'll be able to buy down some bigger non DP contracts (Ivanschitz, Marshall, Evans, Pappa to name a few possibilities).

Solid move. Sad to see a local boy go, but Neagle has served this club well. Best to him in DC.

Smurf

Reaction score
Rumors that Carlos Vela is heading to MLS. San Jose, Chicago and NYRB are the three top suitors.

Same rumors say he's gonna be getting that Dempsey money ($8Mil a year)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":v4qyiq47 said:
Rumors that Carlos Vela is heading to MLS. San Jose, Chicago and NYRB are the three top suitors.

Looks like it would be Colorado. http://www.espnfc.us/story/2735440/carlos-vela-not-ruling-out-colorado-rapids-move-says-agent

Its an interesting story. Vela is not the player he could have been. I feel like this may be posturing for attention from elsewhere... or, legitimately, the MLS could be the highest bidder. if that's the case, Colorado may want to be careful.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1wud6or7 said:
Smurf":1wud6or7 said:

Looks like it would be Colorado. http://www.espnfc.us/story/2735440/carlos-vela-not-ruling-out-colorado-rapids-move-says-agent

Its an interesting story. Vela is not the player he could have been. I feel like this may be posturing for attention from elsewhere... or, legitimately, the MLS could be the highest bidder. if that's the case, Colorado may want to be careful.

Agree about Vela not reaching his potential. I feel the leg break really set him back. I'm not sure he's worth that money.

Smurf

Reaction score
From the clubs site:

Contract options have been declined for the following players:

Azira
Barrett
Correa
Gonzalez
Pappa
Perkins
Pineda
Scott
Thomas

Doesn't mean they are gone for good. Could re-sign on different deals. They have until December 10th to sign new deals.

Andy Rose and Andy Craven are also out of contract now. Both have been offered deals.