Seattle easily the most efficient rushers in Pre Week 1

sutz

Reaction score
Cool, but in pre-season you never know what the other teams chose to emphasize in their games, and you never know what the defenses they faced were looking at either. Teams don't necessarily alter their game plans much in pre-season if the outcomes go off the rails.

I love that we lead that particular stat because our season will probably depend on being able to run the ball efficiently, but grain of salt time. ;)

keasley45

Reaction score
Cool, but in pre-season you never know what the other teams chose to emphasize in their games, and you never know what the defenses they faced were looking at either. Teams don't necessarily alter their game plans much in pre-season if the outcomes go off the rails.

I love that we lead that particular stat because our season will probably depend on being able to run the ball efficiently, but grain of salt time. ;)

True, but if they were emphasizing pass rush they didn't get that right either.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score

Yeah, I'm with ya. Always a grain of salt with preseason. But I'm personally not going to sit here and pretend that they didn't put a lot of good tape out there in that game.

The salt is also not gonna stop me from recognizing the so far excellent and efficient job new O Line Coach Andy Dickerson has done installing his outside zone blocking scheme. I'm former lineman so I get more excited about it than most, but I also understand there's a lot of nuance to learn in that scheme and he's got those boys coached up already. He has their sets spaced perfectly, he has their tempo right, and they're horizontal movement is fluid creating those cutback lanes. Even in their power run/counter game the line was folding Pitt's front 7 in on itself.

Most importantly it appears like he's instilling and coaching up the "want to" and the attitude. Abe Lucas being the most markedly prime example. Going from a by and large non-committal and, frankly, lazy run blocker in college to watching him pancake at least 3 Steeler LB's through the turf and into the first ring of Hell. The difference was literally night and day.

It was encouraging for me. Your level of cautious optism may vary.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The running game looked good. That was encouraging for sure.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
True, but if they were emphasizing pass rush they didn't get that right either.
I think the name of that tune is 'Don't Look For Any Positives & Keep The Feel Good Stuff to Yourself'
Woe is me, they Lost, so there's nothing good to be gleaned from that game, I have half a mind to go out to the garden, grab some worms, bite their heads off & suck their innards out.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think the name of that tune is 'Don't Look For Any Positives & Keep The Feel Good Stuff to Yourself'
Woe is me, they Lost, so there's nothing good to be gleaned from that game, I have half a mind to go out to the garden, grab some worms, bite their heads off & suck their innards out.
I was talking about the Steelers

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I was talking about the Steelers
My remarks weren't meant for you 45, I was referencing the negatives that some Netters be laying down.
So tired of the pessimisms.
I like getting different perspectives, some food for thought...Always seems like someone has to throw some sh!t in the 'Feel Good' fan.
LOL I've never been one to tiptoe around snivelers.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
It’s one game but this is why I took the Olines performance in 2021 with a huge grain of salt.

Waldron and Dickerson had the impossible task of trying to balance Wilson’s hero ball tendencies and/or philosophy on one hand and Carroll’s preference through Mike Solari to run a power blocking scheme that fit Carson’s downhill, physical abilities on the other hand. All of that convoluted what Waldron and Dickerson were trying to implement from their own philosophy and idealisms of a McVay style YAC offense.

I think because of all of that plus injuries effected the Oline the most, they had a tough time getting on the same page practically running three different schemes, three different offensive identities in a jumbled up mess. That hindered more than it created.

However, while I do not think the Oline is going to automatically transform into one of the best or even average-ish. The game vs the Steelers showed the O-line is taking steps in the right direction and you can tell even with all the new personnel there is much more clarification in their approach and their jobs to be on the same page as a single unit pass or run.

I think because of this clarity, Waldron and Dickerson are going to establish that the historical run Penny went on in 2021 wasn’t a fluke but a design, an identity no matter who is running the ball. And I think whatever pass protection success the O-line standardizes is just icing on the ground and pound cake. I feel everyone knows from all coaches and all players that winning games in 2022 is going to rely on a strong running game. It doesn’t have to be the physical violent smash mouth version but one that can move chains, be explosive, and run the clock. One that can open up the entirety of the field, keeping the QB from going off-script or greatly relied upon as a passer. As well as, keeping an undersized but fast defense benefiting from not only being able to rest more but scheme more when they are off the field.

Last edited:

94Smith

Reaction score
Bear in mind Steelers run defense was bad last year but yes run game and play action was working well

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Bear in mind Steelers run defense was bad last year but yes run game and play action was working well
Yeah, they were pretty awful. I don't expect THIS level of run efficiency to fully carry over or last, but promising nonetheless.

toffee

Reaction score
My remarks weren't meant for you 45, I was referencing the negatives that some Netters be laying down.
So tired of the pessimisms.
I like getting different perspectives, some food for thought...Always seems like someone has to throw some sh!t in the 'Feel Good' fan.
LOL I've never been one to tiptoe around snivelers.
I am a homer, positive stuff makes me happy. I do accept that some generate their happiness from negativities, that's ok, each to their own.

toffee

Reaction score
Yeah, they were pretty awful. I don't expect THIS level of run efficiency to fully carry over or last, but promising nonetheless.
I beg to differ Maelstrom, I do expect our OL to improve and our RB1 and RB2 to benefit from the seams, gaps, and lanes. Both Penny and KW3 have home run speed and moves, once they are pass the seams, watch out. What we may not have is a CSonk type that pushes 2 yards when nothing's there.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I beg to differ Maelstrom, I do expect our OL to improve and our RB1 and RB2 to benefit from the seams, gaps, and lanes. Both Penny and KW3 have home run speed and moves, once they are pass the seams, watch out. What we may not have is a CSonk type that pushes 2 yards when nothing's there.
I mean, I expect them to improve, yes.

I just don't expect them to be #1 by miles as they currently are

AgentDib

Reaction score
The bigger takeaway from me is that we have some nice depth on the team this year. Pittsburgh was playing guys in the second half who won't be on anybody's team in the fall, but our third string was pushing them around pretty well. If we can put together another good draft next season with our second year of high draft capital then the future should look rosy.