Sean Payton interested in returning as NFL Coach for “right situation”

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm sure he'd be loved here forever, considering how many more Super Bowl wins he has than Carroll. Way more recent ones, too.

OP
OP
M

Mizak

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m pretty sure he also had a QB that clashed with him for all those years, oh wait…………………………

Rat

Reaction score
Pass. Look how many times his teams went like 13-3 and then didn't even make the conference finals. Didn't one of his squads lose to 7-9 team in the first round of the playoffs once? Embarrassing.

Give me someone like Byron Leftwich or Kellen Moore; creative game planners who could flourish with the lead job. I think one of them could be the next McVay.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m pretty sure he also had a QB that clashed with him for all those years, oh wait…………………………
So, you're saying even with a synergistic relationship between him and his quarterback, he couldn't muster any additional success? Not sure how that helps your point. :)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not to mention said quarterback being possibly the most efficient passer to ever throw a football, and being in New Orleans for the majority of his prime?

Interesting.

Fade

Reaction score
Why Sean Payton didn't win more Superbowls?

He was an offensive coach who had historically bad defenses for a stretch. By the time he got the defensive side of the ball fixed, Brees had already gotten old.

I don't think he has any interest in coaching Seattle. He probably wants the Dallas job when it inevitably becomes available. Won't happen, but he'd be a good fit for Mac Jones and NE.

toffee

Reaction score
Team Russ ought to be working on bringing Payton to Denver, Hackett is not cutting it and hurting Russ' brand, hurting his quest for MVP, Hackett is an all around loser from team Russ's perspective.

Bronco's ownership better be on the phone with Payton already, our Russ needs a new partner, like now.

knownone

Reaction score
We're a low-key destination city for coaches, given our draft capital. A) Four early picks in what looks like a deep draft, B) low expectations to go along with that draft capital, C) Good home field advantage in a favorable market.

Nonetheless, Payton only comes here if Pete retires and we end up with a top 5 pick.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
McCarthy shuddered reading that article. I could see Russ campaigning for him in Denver depending on how. the season goes there

Rat

Reaction score

He was an offensive coach who had historically bad defenses for a stretch.
That's a huge stretch. A cursory look at team defensive rankings during Brees' prime years shows them consistently in like the 12th-22nd range. Jonathan Vilma was a solid defensive leader, and they had some good pass rushers in guys like Will Smith, Cameron Jordan, Charles Grant, and Junior Gallete. They had some issues in the secondary, but there was still solid talent with Malcolm Jenkins, Roman Harper, Kenny Vaccaro, etc.

flv2

Reaction score
Would the Seahawks be prepared to give up serious Draft compensation for Sean Payton? I don't think so.

...and nor should they.

Rosco

Reaction score

He was an offensive coach who had historically bad defenses for a stretch. By the time he got the defensive side of the ball fixed, Brees had already gotten old.

I don't think he has any interest in coaching Seattle. He probably wants the Dallas job when it inevitably becomes available. Won't happen, but he'd be a good fit for Mac Jones and NE.
Sean Payton wants complete control over team. Jerry Jones will never give it to him.
LA Chargers is his spot.

KinesProf

Reaction score
The Payton-Brees era Saints and the Rodgers era Packers are up there for all-time underachieving operations.

Pete's been to two Super Bowls and won one in the time since those teams last appeared in one. If you think Pete left some meat on the bone; Payton will drive you absolutely crazy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
He probably wants the Dallas job when it inevitably becomes available.

This.

Payton's just waiting for McCarthy to get fired at the end of the season, then Jones will back up the Brinks truck to Sean's house.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Why wouldn't he want to go to Denver, to be paired up with another short QB, and owners who rival Uncle Jerrah's wealth?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Fire Pete, hire Payton and draft a franchise quarterback