Seahawks sign CJ Spiller

themunn

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2ha9qk1a said:
FlyingGreg":2ha9qk1a said:
Jerhawk":2ha9qk1a said:
It's almost like they could've kept Pope over Collins and this wouldn't have happened

Pre-season Hall of Famer Pope has been inactive fir the Jets first 3 games.

Just a point.

Forte has been solid and backup Powell is a dependable 6 year vet averaging 8.1 a carry. No reason for Pope to be activated at this time. He's still on their 53 because the Jets found him a competent, developing rookie.

The Hawks have stuck with Collins and Prosise and that was their choice.

And Collins has found himself on the field playing meaningful snaps and Pope hasn't. Prosise is a 3rd round draft pick who has been injured for the start of the season, he's never going to be cut this early for a preseason hero.

For Troymaine Pope read Zach Zenner or Jarryd Hayne, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Joe Banyard or Henry Josey - all players who lit up preseason games in 2014/15 who've done nothing in the league. Rawls is an exception but I guarantee he won his roster spot in training camp, not preseason.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":yefokhql said:
Jerhawk":yefokhql said:
Hasselbeck":yefokhql said:
Jerhawk":yefokhql said:
It's almost like they could've kept Pope over Collins and this wouldn't have happened

At least you get to see Pope this weekend. He'll be wearing a Jets cap and Jets warmups. Very impactful player.

Just like what Spiller will be inevitably doing after he pulls a hamstring or finds some other way onto the injury report. Can't wait to watch Collins go down on first contact while Spiller watches from the bench

Really? You are hoping Collins fails?

Not at all, it's just my prediction. Collins looks more like a slower Turbin so far. I hope he proves me wrong. And I hope Spiller gives this offense a spark.

hawker84

Reaction score
I like the signing. His playmaking ability is worth the look alone. If he get's hurt or is ineffective, then oh well, no harm no foul, we'll be getting Rawls and CJ back at some point after the bye. No sure why some would view this signing as anything but a win?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":hefb5fam said:
Siouxhawk":hefb5fam said:
Jerhawk":hefb5fam said:
Hasselbeck":hefb5fam said:
At least you get to see Pope this weekend. He'll be wearing a Jets cap and Jets warmups. Very impactful player.

Just like what Spiller will be inevitably doing after he pulls a hamstring or finds some other way onto the injury report. Can't wait to watch Collins go down on first contact while Spiller watches from the bench

Really? You are hoping Collins fails?

Not at all, it's just my prediction. Collins looks more like a slower Turbin so far. I hope he proves me wrong. And I hope Spiller gives this offense a spark.
By writing "can't wait to watch" it becomes more than a prediction, it's a hope.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
themunn":11b7tnwq said:
West TX Hawk":11b7tnwq said:
FlyingGreg":11b7tnwq said:
Jerhawk":11b7tnwq said:

Pre-season Hall of Famer Pope has been inactive fir the Jets first 3 games.

Just a point.

Forte has been solid and backup Powell is a dependable 6 year vet averaging 8.1 a carry. No reason for Pope to be activated at this time. He's still on their 53 because the Jets found him a competent, developing rookie.

The Hawks have stuck with Collins and Prosise and that was their choice.

And Collins has found himself on the field playing meaningful snaps and Pope hasn't. Prosise is a 3rd round draft pick who has been injured for the start of the season, he's never going to be cut this early for a preseason hero.

For Troymaine Pope read Zach Zenner or Jarryd Hayne, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Joe Banyard or Henry Josey - all players who lit up preseason games in 2014/15 who've done nothing in the league. Rawls is an exception but I guarantee he won his roster spot in training camp, not preseason.

For some reason, there are players who practice well, but doesn't always translate into game time. There are other players who don't practice well, but on the game field it's a whole different story. It maybe, Adrenalin rush of the game, the controlled conditions of practice, I don't know, but I'll take a player who's game peaks during game day than practice day.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1xile5x5 said:
He's also a punt + kick returner. Lets Lockett focus on being a WR.

More than anything I think it allows Lockett to get healthy. I like a healthy Lockett better than Spiller as a returner.

Spiller, if he proves out, could be what Prosise was hoped to be for this O.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
SHOCKER315":30vgihcy said:
[youtube]zqXYT_PCWQk[/youtube]

Good hands, but don't like how he runs out of bounds for no reason.

I think at this point, he runs out of bounds for some very specific reasons... he's 29, has an injury history, may be interested in prolonging his career. Each time he ran out in the video above, there was a defender coming in to lay a hit. In the clip where he didn't have someone coming in from off the screen, he took it to the house.

Ozzy

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2xha6pk9 said:
Jerhawk":2xha6pk9 said:

Its almost like they could have kept Pope over Prosise and had 3 healthy backs.

Keeping Pope over Prosise would of been a terrible move.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Anyone know the contract details? With his injury history, hopefully it's team friendly and we don't eat a bunch of cap money for injured benchy. I know he had interest from other teams and ended up signing here. Hopefully it was motivated by winning and wanting to play in our system rather than the biggest paycheck.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If nothing else if Spiller can play close to solid ball like he has shown the ability to do he will be a positive role model as a 3rd down back for Prosise to learn from.

I'm excited to see what Spiller can bring to the table as both Bevell and Pete have wanted to find a reliable 3rd down back for the O to do Bevell's screens and swing routes.

Seafan

Reaction score
Should be an upgrade over AC as a 3rd down back and an upgrade over McGee as the 3rd stringer.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
ivotuk":1l5mr3lf said:
SeahawksFanForever":1l5mr3lf said:
Seahawks were using Collins as a 3rd down back. Spiller is an immediate upgrade. Solid move!

Not too sure about that. I think they need to give those snaps to AC. There's a reason why Spiller is available.
I endorse this message.

Seafan

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1t1221sk said:
ivotuk":1t1221sk said:
SeahawksFanForever":1t1221sk said:
Seahawks were using Collins as a 3rd down back. Spiller is an immediate upgrade. Solid move!

Not too sure about that. I think they need to give those snaps to AC. There's a reason why Spiller is available.
I endorse this message.

Luckily the Hawks make those decisions. There is a reason they signed him.

irfuben32

Reaction score
he is fast...

and can catch the ball

jet sweeps and bubble screens?

beasthawk

Reaction score
I have an odd feeling that Spiller will turn a new leaf here, beat out Michael and become rb 1.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
beasthawk":32uv790m said:
I have an odd feeling that Spiller will turn a new leaf here, beat out Michael and become rb 1.
That would be amazing.

Hopefully he'll at least be an upgrade over the good but older Jackson we had at FB last year; and be a vet presence who is able to show the way for Procise given time.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect too much.

It's a necessary signing since Seattle has exactly zero depth behind Christine Michael, but Spiller has had a rough couple of years, including his final year in Buffalo. In the 2016 opener, he was the sixth RB on the the Saints' depth chart and was left inactive behind the likes of Travaris Cadet, Tim Hightower and Marcus Murphy (all fringe NFL talents at best). And honestly, Sean Payton's system is tailor-made for a back like Spiller to thrive, so it's doubly concerning that he did nothing there.

He was beat out by Tim Hightower and Travaris Cadet. And that was not a money deal; both those guys have looked better in the Saints offense. No chance he is in play for RB1 here. That said, he made a couple big plays last year (amidst a lot of mediocre runs), so at the very least, there's potential for something special to happen when he's in the game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
One thing not mentioned with this move is Spiller is one hell of a return man too. If Lockett gets dinged again, it's nice to have an option at return man not named Paul Richardson or Richard Sherman

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
beasthawk":2yyd44ro said:

I think he's more likely to be cut in a couple of weeks when Rawls and/or Prosise heal up but for now it's worth kicking the tires on

Latest posts