Seahawks re-signing Brandon Browner

RussB

Reaction score
Mick063":3hgc0ib7 said:
They should convert him to linebacker. They did it with that corner from San Diego State and Browner is bigger.

Honestly, just when I breathed a sigh of relief that Okung's disastrous pre snap penalties were gone, along comes Browner.

I can live with Bennett being off sides about three time a game, but Browner doesn't come close to bringing what Bennett does and pass interference is typically much more costly.
Thats actually a really good idea, he would still have good speed for a linebacker and he can stop the run just like a linebacker should.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
RussB":gankt9rk said:
Mick063":gankt9rk said:
They should convert him to linebacker. They did it with that corner from San Diego State and Browner is bigger.

Honestly, just when I breathed a sigh of relief that Okung's disastrous pre snap penalties were gone, along comes Browner.

I can live with Bennett being off sides about three time a game, but Browner doesn't come close to bringing what Bennett does and pass interference is typically much more costly.
Thats actually a really good idea, he would still have good speed for a linebacker and he can stop the run just like a linebacker should.
Browner is taller, but he's not 230 pounds like Pinkston, who is still a little small to set the edge full time. Browner wasn't 221 like his listed weight while playing in Seattle. He was down below 210 for a lot of it. Very, very lean and got his speed up. I don't know what he is now though.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Okay, having read through the thread, I would like to reiterate what I said in the other
Browner thread.

First of all, no need to focus on negatives as what does it really matter as with Clemons, Browner has to earn his roster spot.

So looking at the positives, Browner brings:

1. Familarity- Knows system and players, plug n play, little learning curve if any at all.

2. Toughness- As others have stated, BB brings an alpha mindset, a tough, gritty, physical style of play that was missing the last 2 years.

3. Experience- This is the biggest one. Cuz im sure one of the stipulations of signing as with Clemons is mentoring, molding, and leading by example to develop and harden the young DBs on the roster into tough, gritty SOBs.

Not only that Browner is a library of knowledge that has direct impact on the season as at least 14 games on the schedule is played against 3 divisions.

NFC West
NFC South
AFC North

Browner has played 3 years in the NFC West, its a little different but not that much.

Browner played in the NFC South last year, knows the Saints MO, and has recent experience against those NFC South teams.

Browner played in the AFC East in 2014, knows the Patriots MO, and has experience against some of those AFC East teams.

So, yeah, Browner could be older, washed up, and not as good. Or he could be serviceable in a limited role within a familar system and players. Either way he still a wealth of knowledge for the young DBs as well as the coaching staff whose team will play against 2 Divisions, and 8 teams Browner has familarity with in the last 2 years.

This doesnt raise the ceiling but again any move that can help raise the floor and strengthen the foundation is as good as it gets this time of the year going into the draft.

Browner and Clemons are both good signings and it definately will resonate within the Lockeroom well after losing Mebane and Irvin.

chris98251

Reaction score
I will say this, we let him go for a reason, coming back I can only think his role will be different or we would not have let him go in the first place or would have signed him last year, I am sure his league value is less then at those times but we paid Williams 7 million. I can understand bringing back the swagger and physical presence, I know Pete is all about competition as well. Just do not expect him to be the RCB starter, at least not regularly.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Glad to have him back. Tough guy. We need that.

If he makes the team and becomes a liability though, I hope they recognize it early and don't wait as long as they did with Cary Williams before doing something about it.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":2zm4pk5g said:
Glad to have him back. Tough guy. We need that.

If he makes the team and becomes a liability though, I hope they recognize it early and don't wait as long as they did with Cary Williams before doing something about it.

Fair to say that should be the case. But, I would argue that Browner right now adds several elements that Williams never could outside of coverage ability.

Knowing Browner (and we do), I would be shocked if he was ever the starting RC. Would not be surprised at all if they find ways to use him situationally and he ends up making positive impact.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread: Browner was 2nd among NFL CBs in combined tackles (1st in solo tackles) last season in NO. That's worth something.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/totalTackles

bighawk

Reaction score
I believe browner is here to cover tight ends considering how badly they struggled last year. He can be a physical presence in sub packages. So I love the move. He can also start against bigger receivers.

McGruff

Reaction score
Flexibity. When we face teams with big wides, we can put Browner/Simon out there. When we face small, shifty wides, we put Lane out there.

edogg23

Reaction score
Love this signing. Browner is one of my favorite Seahawks of all time. You really could only appreciate what the guy was doing by being at the games because a lot of his physicality wasn't captured on tv. He would somehow get away with beating the crap out of receivers on every play. Kam and him made teams scared to play us because we were literally going to beat them down on the field.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I'm perfectly happy having as much depth as possible to hedge bets going into the draft.

LolaRox

Reaction score
I love this signing, BB was one of my favorite Seahawks because of the nastiness he brought to the team.

Kam is a tough dude, no debating that, but there is something different about what BB brings. He is violent with a personal disdain for his opponents. I don't think last year's team was 'soft' but they certainly lacked the Bad Assness that Browner brings.

Also I have no idea what we have in the young CB, Simon can't stay healthy and we haven't seen enough of the others to really know. The competition will be good for all.

Just as with the Clemons signing, l don't know what either of them have left physically, but I'm good with finding out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Good news, but Browner was TERRIBLE last year in NO.

I know he says he was hurt, but this kinda smells more like a Antoine Winfield type of signing..........where we're all excited and then Browner gets cut at the end of training camp because he didn't regain his form.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
He horrible last year and honestly wasn't all that when he was with us. All he was was a thug. Yes he was our thug but that's what he was. A holding machine. Yes he did have a knack for creating turnovers. But I don't think that knack overcomes his short comings.

When he went out on his drug suspension we didn't miss a beat. I would say our coverage was better with Maxi than it was with Browner.

I hope he doesn't make the team.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I believe this front office has shown they will get rid of anyone who can't make the grade. Nostalgia and good ol' boy feelings don't work here. See: Lofa, Hasselbeck, etc.

They'll give you another shot, but if you're not the best choice, it's adios amigo!

kjreid

Reaction score
I think this allows the Seahawks to run a nickel the majority of the time without giving up anything in run support.

Skansi82

Reaction score
Even at his best, I've never been a big Browner fan. Too many stupid penalties, and I'll never be able to forget how terrible he was down the stretch of the Divisional Playoff Game at Atlanta in 2013 (2012 season). That being said, I don't mind the move. Pete doesn't seem to play people for sentimental reasons, and a little extra competition doesn't hurt.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The way I see it, he is given a chance to compete for a spot and if he doesn't make the cut, retire a Seahawk, which is only right for all four OG LOB members.

-bsd

pehawk

Reaction score
The cynic in me worries this is a precursor to a suspension thay hadn't been released yet.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I agree, great nostalgic pick. I loved BB and was hurt when he couldn't stay off the weed and got canned. I don't think it can be overstated how bad of a defense the saints were last year. It would be ideal to have him start opposite of sherman and slide lane over to the slot. If he plays well, then we have some serious depth at db. He was a legit player, he wouldn't have started oppositelling of Revis, let alone for the hawks for there superbowl. Belicheck has rbs that fumble twice and never plays again, lol. Having thomas over the top is the difference maker here. Really, think back in recent past. He is one of the only dbs to leave here and find success.