Seahawks re-sign Rubin

MysterMatt

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2ukvc7dq said:
MysterMatt":2ukvc7dq said:
Good news, but I'm just gonna hold off on celebrating too hard. Rubin is good for us, but he isn't really a difference maker.

Man, I'm glad you told us that. i was REALLY concerned that you were going to celebrate too hard at this news. I can rest easy now. Thank you.
Oh, by all means knock yourself out. Party on if that's your thing. Seriously, I know how important this is for you.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2q2gjmm3 said:
MysterMatt":2q2gjmm3 said:
peachesenregalia":2q2gjmm3 said:
MysterMatt":2q2gjmm3 said:
Good news, but I'm just gonna hold off on celebrating too hard. Rubin is good for us, but he isn't really a difference maker.

Man, I'm glad you told us that. i was REALLY concerned that you were going to celebrate too hard at this news. I can rest easy now. Thank you.
Oh, by all means knock yourself out. Party on if that's your thing. Seriously, I know how important this is for you.

Who said anything about that? I was just worried you were going to over-celebrate is all. But you've put those concerns to bed now, thankfully.
Ah. I can't imagine why anyone would bother commenting on my little post for any other reason other than it conflicts with his own jubilant point of view. Unless, I suppose, he has festering need to compensate over something else. Either way, carry on.

soohawk

Reaction score
Very happy we resigned Rubin. Our lines are intricate to our success. Hopefully Mebane comes back as well :)

kearly

Reaction score
I hope Seattle brings back Mebane as well. I don't want Seattle to be in a position where they feel they have to draft a DT in the 1st round. The 1st round DT group his year is over-rated, IMO.

Tical21

Reaction score
In a vacuum, that's a decent player at a decent price. However, that's a spot we should have had a replacement for, and not had to spend this money. In 5 years, we haven't been able to draft and develop anything close to a starting caliber DT. There are dozens of Rubin's in the league, and most of them cost quite a bit less than we're paying him.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I respect your opinion, Kip, and you've been saying the DT group in the draft is overrated for weeks, but how good are our current DTs really? I mean, I completely understand their effectiveness against the running game, but I'm concerned that we just don't get the push up the middle lately. Getting Mebane back on an inexpensive deal is ok, but, again, where will an upgrade come from if not the draft? An oft-injured Hill? Maybe Clark?

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":vripj5eb said:
In a vacuum, that's a decent player at a decent price. However, that's a spot we should have had a replacement for, and not had to spend this money. In 5 years, we haven't been able to draft and develop anything close to a starting caliber DT. There are dozens of Rubin's in the league, and most of them cost quite a bit less than we're paying him.

If you want to stretch your dollar, draft expensive positions and sign free agents from undervalued positions. Run stuffing DT is about as undervalued as it gets, which is why Seattle has gone the FA route at the position almost exclusively (with good results).

kearly

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1umjwz38 said:
I respect your opinion, Kip, and you've been saying the DT group in the draft is overrated for weeks, but how good are our current DTs really? I mean, I completely understand their effectiveness against the running game, but I'm concerned that we just don't get the push up the middle lately. Getting Mebane back on an inexpensive deal is ok, but, again, where will an upgrade come from if not the draft? An oft-injured Hill? Maybe Clark?

Pete Carroll is always going to make stopping the run his biggest criteria. His history so far indicates that he views pure pass rushers as being sub-package guys. Pete said it himself, Rubin (a pure run stuffer) is the best 3-tech he's had in Seattle.

Jesse Williams is a huge man that only had one skill, stopping the run. Most teams viewed him as a nose tackle only, but Pete wanted Jesse Williams to be his 3-tech of the future. And he probably would have been if not for the injuries.

There is mounting evidence that Pete views the 3-tech spot the way that every other team views the 1-tech spot. Pete wants two pure run stuffers up the middle of his D-line, and views interior pass rushers as sub-package guys, not as 3-down players.

Overall I think it's a philosophy that has served Pete well, though in ways that are not obvious. Having more beef in the middle keeps a very good LB group clean. And forcing teams to abandon the run usually results in a Seattle win.

As far as those third down pass rush packages where the interior rushers step on the field, I think it will soon get better thanks to the emergence of Frank Clark. If Seattle adds a veteran DE like Cameron Wake, that might allow them to go with a Wake-Bennett-Clark-Avril quartet on 3rd downs.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I hope you're right and couldn't agree more about how Pete views the 3-tech position. I'm just really jealous of teams like LA and Carolina who have multidimensional DTs. I know guys like Donald don't grow on trees, but...I want one.

Hawks46

Reaction score
For those folks that are mildly put off by the 6 million figure for this year, fieldgulls did a break down of it and it looks something like:

4.5m signing bonus, over 3 years is 1.5m/year.

2016: 1million base salary, 500k per game roster bonuses for a total of 3million cap hit the first year.

2017: 1.7 million base salary, 5ook per game roster bonus for a $ 3.7m cap hit

2018: 3.3m base salary, 500k per game roster bonus for a $5.3m cap hit. If cut, there would be the 1.5m dead money from tne bonus, for a cap savings of 3.8m the last year.

Basically, this is minimal for a decent DT that plays great against the run and still show a good motor and willingness for sideline to sideline pursuit. If he plays well enough, we pay him, If age catches up, then we can cut him for a good savings. This contract doesn't hurt us at all, and provides depth and veteran presence at a position of need right now.

It also in no way keeps us from signing other FA's this year if we choose.

Fade

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/707290727751888897[/tweet]
Overall Grade: A-

Now get Mebane done, and the Run D is set.

Latest posts