Seahawks Draft review and Grade

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The Seahawks just finished Days 1 and 2 of the Draft so I’m gonna review it and grade it

Pick 5: Devon Witherspoon

This pick did surprise me when the announced it. I thought it was going to be Jalen Carter but I know they had concerns
About him. I think Devon Witherspoon was a great pick by the Seahawks. I think Pete Carroll is trying to bring back that legion of boom defense and I like it. I think we’ll have a good secondary, and he will fit in with the rest of our corners. Grade: A

Pick 20: Jaxon Smith-Njigba

I really like this pick. I can’t believe the best wide receiver in the draft fell to 20 and we got to pick him. I think he will pair really good with DK and Tyler Lockett and will be a great addition to our offense. I think he will be a great fit in Seattle, and will be a good receiver. Grade: A

Day 2

Pick 37: Derrick Hall

I like this pick because we got the edge rusher we needed. he is 6,3 254 pounds, I think he will be a beast on the field. He’s going to be explosive and be a big part of are defense. Grade: B+

Pick 52: Zach Charbonnet

A lot of people are calling us a bad pic, but they also said that about Kenneth Walker last year and we know how that turned out. I think he will be a good part of our running back here and help out. K9 next year. I think he might need some time to develop and be a good running back
Grade: B

Pick 83: Traded

The Seahawks traded pick 83 to Denver for pick 108 and a 2024 Third Round pick.

I gave the entire draft for the Seahawks a A I think they did really good on drafting like they did last year. I think our team has a bright future and we might make the playoffs next year.
Please do not listen to Chawker, feel free to keep posting any grades you want to. Not a bad write-up.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Are you that guy that counts people's items at the express checkout?
Haha! That glare by the shoppers behind you if you appear to have more than the limit. And some shoppers seem to think "Limit 10 items" means you should use that checkout lane only if you're buying two or three things. Sorry, shoppers, but if I have 10 things, I'm using it!

xgeoff

Reaction score
I really love what the Seahawks did in the 1st round. They got (seemingly) top talent at two premier positions. And the tape from these guys is fantastic.I also really like the choices in rounds 4-7. Lots of guys who look like they are impressive players that also fill needs, like C, DT, etc.

What has me scratching my head are the round 2 selections. And look, Derick Hall and Zack Charbonnet look like good players. But Hall looks very similar to Boye Mafe and Darryl Taylor, and we already have Ken Walker III and McIntosh taken later in the draft at RB.

And I realize you need depth at RB, I do. But teams have been able to get value at that position, it has been shown, in the later rounds. So spending another 2nd round pick at that position, when there is real need at position like MLB, I don't get.
For example, Drew Sanders was available when Hall was taken. Sanders can play inside, outside, and rush the passer. So why do we need a Mafe/Taylor clone? We have Bobby, Jordyn Brooks and Devin Bush in the middle, and that looks thin to me.

I love Bush, don't get me wrong, but Bobby is getting old and the defense, frankly, was better when Brooks was out.
So, overall, I am happy with the draft but I would have moved back and taken Drew Sanders and Daiyan Henley. Both very versatile LB'ers that can shore up the middle and Sanders and Brooks could also play outside as well.

Anyhow, nice draft, I am not unhappy with it overall. And we'll see how these guys develop. I do feel we added a lot of good talent.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I can't disagree but I am a little higher on Derick Hall not necessarily because of how good he is but because of need. He looks like a Bobby Wagner clone, let's just hope he plays like him too!
He really appears to be a high ethics stand up dude.
I’m stoked that PC/JS went after good guys this year.

pmedic920

Reaction score
This is your first post, and you're handing out grades ? Who are you ? Try building some board cred first. I'm sure you are a great person and a true blue fan and all, but enjoy the draft and do this next year. We'd just like to know you better first. Welcome to dot net.

Cheers
Dude, I’m not sure how I missed this but you owe the man an apology.

That first post was better than most by a long shot.

If you have an issue with a post use the report feature, do not go after a member like this.

Anyone that puts that much effort into a post deserves a measure of respect even if you don’t agree with the statement.
You DO NOT speak for the members as you’re insinuating here.

Consider this a public warning.

Atradees

Reaction score
The Seahawks just finished Days 1 and 2 of the Draft so I’m gonna review it and grade it

A lot of people are calling us a bad pic, but they also said that about Kenneth Walker last year and we know how that turned out. I think he will be a good part of our running back here and help out. K9 next year. I think he might need some time to develop and be a good running back
I feel like we decided to let a few of our oft injured backs move on, A rebuild of sorts

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
For those of you bemoaning the drafting of Zach Charbonnet in the 2nd round instead of selecting an ILB, I believe that Pete was pushing John to get behind Charbonnet in order to improve the team's ability to continue offensive drives.

The Hawks ranked 20th last year in 3rd down conversions. Walker III is not a 3rd and short running back. I believe that Charbonnet will be.

The additions of JSN, Charbonnet and Kenny McIntosh should result in a significant improvement in the team's ability to convert 3rd downs. I won't be surprised if we move up from being #20 to being in the Top 10 in 2023 and for the next several years.

xgeoff

Reaction score

This pick did surprise me when the announced it. I thought it was going to be Jalen Carter but I know they had concerns
About him. I think Devon Witherspoon was a great pick by the Seahawks. I think Pete Carroll is trying to bring back that legion of boom defense and I like it. I think we’ll have a good secondary, and he will fit in with the rest of our corners. Grade: A

Pick 20: Jaxon Smith-Njigba

I really like this pick. I can’t believe the best wide receiver in the draft fell to 20 and we got to pick him. I think he will pair really good with DK and Tyler Lockett and will be a great addition to our offense. I think he will be a great fit in Seattle, and will be a good receiver. Grade: A

Day 2

Pick 37: Derrick Hall

I like this pick because we got the edge rusher we needed. he is 6,3 254 pounds, I think he will be a beast on the field. He’s going to be explosive and be a big part of are defense. Grade: B+

Pick 83: Traded

The Seahawks traded pick 83 to Denver for pick 108 and a 2024 Third Round pick.

I gave the entire draft for the Seahawks a A I think they did really good on drafting like they did last year. I think our team has a bright future and we might make the playoffs next year.

I'm not sure why people keep saying 'we needed an edge rusher'. Don't get me wrong, I wanted us to get Will Anderson. Not because we NEEDED an edge rusher but because I see him as someone who can wreak havoc in someones backfield. But in terms of edge rushers, we have Nwosu, Taylor, Mafe, Alton Robinson, Dremont Jones. I mean, you can never have too many but I wouldn't call this an area of need.

I would call ILB an area of need. In a 3-4 scheme you need two MLB's. We have Bobby, Devin Bush and Jordyn Brooks. That is an area of NEED. We actually did well last year in terms of rushing the passer and playing pass defense. Where did we struggle? stopping the run. Who stops the run? Interior D-lineman and ILB'ers. I feel like we addressed DL to some degree in FA and a promising guy in the late rounds of the draft. What did we do for ILB? nothing. that is concerning

Chawker

Reaction score

If you have an issue with a post use the report feature, do not go after a member like this.

Anyone that puts that much effort into a post deserves a measure of respect even if you don’t agree with the statement.

Sure thing pmed

If I have offended anybodies delicate feelings here, I most humbly apologize.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Sure thing pmed

If I have offended anybodies feeling here, I most humbly apologize.
Thank you.
I don’t believe you intended any harm but we want to encourage new members not beat them down. Especially new members that are willing to put themselves out there with respectable football talk.

I’m certainly not suggesting that you agree with everyone but be respectful as you have been in the past. That post was not your typical response in any way.

Carry on ole timer.
Cheers

Rainger

Reaction score

Don't worry a lot of us went off on this and his subsequent post. I think Chawker got the message and has remorse. Maybe to proud to show it. Or like I have done many times could have been booze talking

Chuckwow

Reaction score
It seems many are missing the obvious in regards to the Charbonnet selection. A few ask "we suck against the run so we use a 2nd on a RB"? Hell yeah, I love it and I jumped off my couch when his name was called. And then again when McIntosh joined us.

Ok...let's say we have a suspect D. So how long do you want to leave them on the field? Do you want a tired, suspect D? One of the best contributions to a middling defense is an offense. And what kills clock better than a potent running game? We keep the opposing D on the field and our D resting on our bench. All while playing low risk football. Win-win-win.

Add Walker to that while sending Njigba underneath and... damn. As long as our young line can run block we're going to win a lot of football games and needless to say, it just gets easier and easier for Geno.

I'm certainly simplifying all this and much more can be added to the above. I'm just saying there is a method to the madness.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score

Latest posts