Seahawks, 23 other teams approve flexing for TNF

bigskydoc

Reaction score
There's also a lot of home fans that are going to have to make some major adjustments to their schedules in order to attend a game, too. Going from a weekend to midweek game is very likely going to require a person living within a 100 mile radius of the stadium to take at least a half day off, perhaps as many as two days off for those living outside a 150 mile radius. There's a number of season ticket holders that live in eastern Washington along with large contingents of Oregon and British Columbia fans.

The Packers are one the 8 teams that voted against the flexing of TNF. Two things are significant about their objection: They are the only team that is owned by the fans and being that they are the smallest market in the league, more of their fans have to drive longer distances than other fan bases. I once went to a Hawks-Packers game at Lambeau and met some Packer fans that lived in South Dakota.

It's 521 miles each way for this new Seahawks STH. I have a friend in Great Falls who is a long time STH. 640 miles each way for him.

We mostly fly for the games, so we are at the whim of the flight schedules and how full the planes are. Afternoon games are awesome because we can fly in, catch the game, eat dinner, and fly home.

Thursday nights are a challenge. Flex Thursday nights sound like a nightmare.

But the NFL doesn't really care about STHs. It's all about the broadcast revenue stream.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I have no idea why they just don't put 2 teams coming off a bye, preferably within your own division, play the Thursday nighter. The games would be waaaaaaay more entertaining. This shouldn't be that hard to do.
THIS. I've said it before - international games - bye after. Thursday night game - bye before to get schedule adjusted.

Would fix 90% of the problems with TNF. Well, aside from the fact that I NEVER watch it in the past couple years. With us having 2 this year - I guess I suck it and watch 2 of them!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
28 days notice is what I heard. That's a little better. But enough with the Thursday night crap. They don't give one rip about player safety. But, it's likely here to stay.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's 521 miles each way for this new Seahawks STH. I have a friend in Great Falls who is a long time STH. 640 miles each way for him.

We mostly fly for the games, so we are at the whim of the flight schedules and how full the planes are. Afternoon games are awesome because we can fly in, catch the game, eat dinner, and fly home.

Thursday nights are a challenge. Flex Thursday nights sound like a nightmare.

But the NFL doesn't really care about STHs. It's all about the broadcast revenue stream.
Boy, that sure trumps what I had to endure as a STH. I had season tickets for about 12 years, from the mid 80's to late 90's. At the time, I lived in Moses Lake, about a 3 hour drive over a mountain pass from Seattle. I'd go to a Hawks game on a Sunday afternoon, drive home, get a bite to eat and take a nap, then go to work on a graveyard shift at 11:00pm that evening.

Your absolutely right about the NFL caring solely about their revenue stream over the needs of their fans. IMO they didn't like Amazon being screwed last season by all of the crappy games they had in their first venture into televising football games and felt that they had to do something to help them out.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Moses Lake? Noice. Love it out there. My band plays out there a few times a year.
Moses Hole. The airport code is "MLH": Moses Lake Hole.

I lived there from 1978-1989. Not a lot of entertainment options, but I did a lot of pheasant hunting. Relatively easy drive to Seattle in good weather, but coming over the pass and the Vantage hill in the winter could be a real b****, which was one of the reasons why we got rid of the season tickets as I couldn't give them away during the Behring years and they weren't electronic and there was no secondary market to sell them like there is nowadays with Ticketmaster, Stub Hub, etc.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
People have always been super cool to us in Moses. Def. some sketchy areas though. But I love the access to the gorge and the lake.
The guy that sits next to me lives in Wesnatchee, they make the drive every game. That pass sometimes, brutal. We gig out at The Brick in Roslyn too. Cool little town.

RiverDog

Reaction score
We don't have to look very far to express our angst. Jody Allen voted for this procedure. Perhaps we ought to flood her office/email with complaints. It would have been nice if they would have conducted some sort of poll or survey of the fans. Maybe they're afraid of the results.

I'm generally supportive of nearly all their other initiatives, like flexing teams on Sundays and even Mondays, as well as the international series. But for the fans that attend the games in person, this measure just sucks.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fans it sucks for that are attending, Game wise we seem to do rather well on National TV, it also from what I read a one year trial so we will see.

RiverDog

Reaction score
People have always been super cool to us in Moses. Def. some sketchy areas though. But I love the access to the gorge and the lake.
The guy that sits next to me lives in Wesnatchee, they make the drive every game. That pass sometimes, brutal. We gig out at The Brick in Roslyn too. Cool little town.
The lake in Moses Lake is a true stink hole. It's only about 15' at its deepest, gets real warm in the summer and has an awful algae bloom that smells like chit. You're right about Roslyn.

I was living in Moses Lake in 1980 during the Mt. St. Helens eruption. We got hit with 4" of ash. I have a rather funny story to tell about my experience sometime in an appropriate forum.

BigMeach

Reaction score
There's also a lot of home fans that are going to have to make some major adjustments to their schedules in order to attend a game, too. Going from a weekend to midweek game is very likely going to require a person living within a 100 mile radius of the stadium to take at least a half day off, perhaps as many as two days off for those living outside a 150 mile radius. There's a number of season ticket holders that live in eastern Washington along with large contingents of Oregon and British Columbia fans.

The Packers are one the 8 teams that voted against the flexing of TNF. Two things are significant about their objection: They are the only team that is owned by the fans and being that they are the smallest market in the league, more of their fans have to drive longer distances than other fan bases. I once went to a Hawks-Packers game at Lambeau and met some Packer fans that lived in South Dakota.

Oh I completely agree with you. My point being though, the home team fans will have a much easier time making the adjustment and at worse sell their ticket. If the opposing team fans do the latter, it's likely to the home team fans.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Oh I completely agree with you. My point being though, the home team fans will have a much easier time making the adjustment and at worse sell their ticket. If the opposing team fans do the latter, it's likely to the home team fans.
Yes, there are some games where it could have an effect on the home/visitor ratio. It could have an effect on some of our games, like the Niners games. But we're the most geographically isolated team in the league. Most teams, at least the rivalry games that have a high percentage of visiting fans in attendance, are a lot closer than any of our games, rivalry or not.

Packers-Bears, for example, always has a high number of visiting fans at both venues. But Green Bay and Chicago are only about a 3 hour drive apart, so visiting fans wouldn't be at anymore of a disadvantage than home fans as they don't need airline tickets or hotel accommodations. Same with the rivalries back east, like Eagles-Giants or Bengals-Browns.

So I guess it will depend on which game gets flexed, how active their fan bases are, and the distance between the cities. If we were to be flexed out of our TNF game with the Cowboys, I could see it hurting us as the 12's usually travel pretty well, especially to Texas.

Plus, it could hurt traveling teams/fan bases even without games being flexed as just the possibility of the game being able to be flexed would deter visiting fans from making a commitment to attend an away game.