Seahawks, 23 other teams approve flexing for TNF

Mizak

Reaction score

kidhawk

Reaction score
Flexing is only for weeks 13 - 17, so it sounds like a test run. They are also only allowed to flex a maximum of 2 games. The good news is our game against the Cowboys on TNF is week 13 so it's eligible. The bad news is it's the Cowboys so the odds of getting flexed out are likely pretty slim.

RiverDog

Reaction score
From a fan's perspective, I'm against it. A lot of people that watch the games in person, especially those that like to travel to a road game, have to make advance plans, like airline flights and hotel accommodations. It's one thing to move a kickoff time back a few hours to accommodate SNF and a little more of a thing to move a Sunday game to the next day for MNF, but moving a game 4 days ahead with just a couple weeks notice can throw a huge monkey wrench into travel plans, including arranging for things like time off from work, babysitters, and a whole range of domestic commitments that have to be resolved in order to attend a game.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Looking at all the schedule, the following games are eligible for flexing:

Week 13 – 11/30 – Seahawks @ Cowboys
Unless the Cowboys totally tank (one can hope), I don't see this getting flexed

Week 14 – 12/7 – Patriots @ Steelers
Patriots and Steelers are both high profile teams, I can't see this one being flexed either

Week 15 – 12/14 – Chargers @ Raiders
Although this could end up being a really good game to watch, I would say that outside the AFC West, it might not be that popular nationally, so it's on my radar as a high likelihood of being flexed

Week 16 – 12/21 – Saints @ Rams
One or both of these teams will be pretty bad by this point in the year. This game will likely be pointless. Not as high a chance as the Raiders/Chargers, but I'd rank this behind it and the Jets/Browns

Week 17 – 12/28 – Jets @ Browns
Jets are in NY and will have the national treasure (wait while I try not to throw up) Rodgers at QB and the Browns may be in the playoff hunt, but they usually find a way to screw things up. This game IMO, has a high likelihood of being flexed out. Being so late in the year, there should be more intriguing options, but still I'd rank their odds 2nd to the Chargers/Raiders

Of course there's always the option of not flexing any games. Just because the rule is there doesn't mean it'll be used. 28 days in advance is a long time to try to decide if a game is going to be good or not and to try to find a better matchup. A lot of things can change in a month.

chris98251

Reaction score

Patriots and Steelers are both high profile teams, I can't see this one being flexed either

Although this could end up being a really good game to watch, I would say that outside the AFC West, it might not be that popular nationally, so it's on my radar as a high likelihood of being flexed

One or both of these teams will be pretty bad by this point in the year. This game will likely be pointless. Not as high a chance as the Raiders/Chargers, but I'd rank this behind it and the Jets/Browns

Jets are in NY and will have the national treasure (wait while I try not to throw up) Rodgers at QB and the Browns may be in the playoff hunt, but they usually find a way to screw things up. This game IMO, has a high likelihood of being flexed out. Being so late in the year, there should be more intriguing options, but still I'd rank their odds 2nd to the Chargers/Raiders

Of course there's always the option of not flexing any games. Just because the rule is there doesn't mean it'll be used. 28 days in advance is a long time to try to decide if a game is going to be good or not and to try to find a better matchup. A lot of things can change in a month.
Jets won't get flexed, Rodgers could have them in the hunt, and well he is Aaron Rodgers and the savior in New York Versus the Torpedo in Denver sinking the ship, Dallas stirs the pot with anything this season to get Headlines from these two teams. Well the Comancheros will get some also with their Sale.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Jets won't get flexed, Rodgers could have them in the hunt, and well he is Aaron Rodgers and the savior in New York Versus the Torpedo in Denver sinking the ship, Dallas stirs the pot with anything this season to get Headlines from these two teams. Well the Comancheros will get some also with their Sale.
Jets v Browns is really down to what happens through the season. Rodgers is getting older and it is not clear how much of the decline last season was down to the rest of the Packers offence and how much was due to Father Time. There is not an insigniiant chance that Rodgers could be next seasons RW3.

It also isn't clear whether Deshaun Watson will shake off the rust of not. I really hope he is a bust he should probably be in a prison cell and certainly not on the playing field. If making a few bets gets an indefinate ban what Watson appears to have done should get at least similar treatment.

Come week 15 (when they have to make the decision whether to flex) we could the Jets and the Browns in a playoff spots but we could also see the Jets 6-8 and the Browns 4-10, if the later then the game will be flexed out.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Jets v Browns is really down to what happens through the season. Rodgers is getting older and it is not clear how much of the decline last season was down to the rest of the Packers offence and how much was due to Father Time. There is not an insigniiant chance that Rodgers could be next seasons RW3.

It also isn't clear whether Deshaun Watson will shake off the rust of not. I really hope he is a bust he should probably be in a prison cell and certainly not on the playing field. If making a few bets gets an indefinate ban what Watson appears to have done should get at least similar treatment.

Come week 15 (when they have to make the decision whether to flex) we could the Jets and the Browns in a playoff spots but we could also see the Jets 6-8 and the Browns 4-10, if the later then the game will be flexed out.

I agree with almost all of this. The only slight correction is that I believe that the agreed upon flex date for TNF games is 28 days in advance, so that's 4 weeks ahead. In other words basically a month in advance.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I do expect the 3 best matchups of the week will be on prime time ( Monday, Sunday and Thursday nights) with the games being flexed accordingly

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Pretty bad news for travelling fans. I've done this where I had planned around the Thursday nighter to be able to take in 2 games on the same trip.

What happens if they flex a game out because nobody wants to see a bad team having a bad season against a really good team battling for the division & then the good team gets a competitive advantage because they don't have to play a short rest Thursday game like everyone else? This doesn't even address the teams being flexed in now are at a competitive disadvantage by playing 2 Thursday games.

I have no idea why they just don't put 2 teams coming off a bye, preferably within your own division, play the Thursday nighter. The games would be waaaaaaay more entertaining. This shouldn't be that hard to do.

I'm actually a little pi**ed off our team, the Seahawks, voted for this.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Pretty bad news for travelling fans. I've done this where I had planned around the Thursday nighter to be able to take in 2 games on the same trip.

What happens if they flex a game out because nobody wants to see a bad team having a bad season against a really good team battling for the division & then the good team gets a competitive advantage because they don't have to play a short rest Thursday game like everyone else? This doesn't even address the teams being flexed in now are at a competitive disadvantage by playing 2 Thursday games.

I have no idea why they just don't put 2 teams coming off a bye, preferably within your own division, play the Thursday nighter. The games would be waaaaaaay more entertaining. This shouldn't be that hard to do.

I'm actually a little pi**ed off our team, the Seahawks, voted for this.
Exactly what I said. I travel to at least one road game per season, last year's trip being to Detroit. I guess I'll just have to plan on doing my road trips in the first half of the season. No way to I want to have to change travel plans on short notice around the holiday season.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Exactly what I said. I travel to at least one road game per season, last year's trip being to Detroit. I guess I'll just have to plan on doing my road trips in the first half of the season. No way to I want to have to change travel plans on short notice around the holiday season.
For sure, but they are all road games for some of us.
Even coming to Seattle I have to plan everything 3+ months in advance &, unlike NFL & TV executives, I pay my own way & can't afford 1st class refundable airline tickets just in case.

BigMeach

Reaction score
This would solidify homefield advantage for the home team to the extreme. Flexing = minimal amount of opposing fans.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I do expect the 3 best matchups of the week will be on prime time ( Monday, Sunday and Thursday nights) with the games being flexed accordingly
I don’t know how it will work with Thirsdays, but I know that they allow FOX and CBS to block a game each from getting flexed into SNF in the past. I don’t know if that is continuing this year but I’d guess that CBS and FOX have some type of language in their contracts keeping them from losing all the best content.

RiverDog

Reaction score
This would solidify homefield advantage for the home team to the extreme. Flexing = minimal amount of opposing fans.
There's also a lot of home fans that are going to have to make some major adjustments to their schedules in order to attend a game, too. Going from a weekend to midweek game is very likely going to require a person living within a 100 mile radius of the stadium to take at least a half day off, perhaps as many as two days off for those living outside a 150 mile radius. There's a number of season ticket holders that live in eastern Washington along with large contingents of Oregon and British Columbia fans.

The Packers are one the 8 teams that voted against the flexing of TNF. Two things are significant about their objection: They are the only team that is owned by the fans and being that they are the smallest market in the league, more of their fans have to drive longer distances than other fan bases. I once went to a Hawks-Packers game at Lambeau and met some Packer fans that lived in South Dakota.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score

If we play our Week 13 game vs. the Cowboys on Thursday, Nov. 30th as is currently scheduled, the rest of our schedule will not be at risk of being flexed, at least not into TNF. We will have played two Thursday games, the maximum allowed.

I agree that the Hawks-Cowboys game is very unlikely to be flexed out of TNF. The Cowboys have one of the largest TV markets and a nation wide fan base. They'd have to be something like 2-10 for them to opt out of a Prime Time slot.

Last edited:

Latest posts