Salary Cap to be $143.28 million

mikeak

Reaction score
so each team has to be at 89%
What is interesting is if you are over that in a year and then don't roll money and then stay over it the next year. I thought the cap spend requiement was tied to a 3 year rolling average.

Just trying to figure out why the rams didn't roll everything over. I can keep researching or ask Sando over twitter :)

kearly

Reaction score
ESPN says that Seattle's rollover cash would be $2.8 million, though the NFLPA site lists the rollover as being almost $5 million. The latter puts Seattle at a $148 million adjusted cap for 2015. Overthecap.com puts Seattle at $119 million committed.

So best case scenario, Seattle will have about $29 million to work with this offseason, with a cap that is expected to raise roughly $17 million by 2017.

That's a lot of money, and I'm not too worried about Seattle paying their guys and still making a run at a big name free agent or two. It can be done fairly easily, assuming that the contracts are designed to be flexible in case money needs to be moved around later for emergencies.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2ndeh4wc said:
ESPN says that Seattle's rollover cash would be $2.8 million, though the NFLPA site lists the rollover as being almost $5 million. The latter puts Seattle at a $148 million adjusted cap for 2015. Overthecap.com puts Seattle at $119 million committed.

So best case scenario, Seattle will have about $29 million to work with this offseason, with a cap that is expected to raise roughly $17 million by 2017.

That's a lot of money, and I'm not too worried about Seattle paying their guys and still making a run at a big name free agent or two. It can be done fairly easily, assuming that the contracts are designed to be flexible in case money needs to be moved around later for emergencies.

Of course that maximum amount includes money the team needs to set aside for signing the 2015 draft class, so what they can do with veterans is a bit lower

sutz

Reaction score
kidhawk":1btcpj4f said:
kearly":1btcpj4f said:

Of course that maximum amount includes money the team needs to set aside for signing the 2015 draft class, so what they can do with veterans is a bit lower
Yeah, but draft class money should only be a couple of million against the cap, right? I mean, we won't have any top 10 guys to pay. That's the joy of drafting as a playoff team.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":2uwhfalr said:
Yeah, but draft class money should only be a couple of million against the cap, right? I mean, we won't have any top 10 guys to pay. That's the joy of drafting as a playoff team.

It's definitely not a lot, but it probably puts us more in the $24-$26 million range we've been hearing for awhile now. And of course we know some of that will be gone with extensions and re-signing some guys, but from a need perspective, we have plenty of cash to keep running after Super Bowls.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":1rzapyyq said:
sutz":1rzapyyq said:

It's definitely not a lot, but it probably puts us more in the $24-$26 million range we've been hearing for awhile now. And of course we know some of that will be gone with extensions and re-signing some guys, but from a need perspective, we have plenty of cash to keep running after Super Bowls.

It really should be noted that not all cap room situations are the same.

Some teams have created cap room by converting salary into signing bonuses - those teams have a lot less flexibility as they have more money tied up and can't create much extra room.

Teams like Seattle (there are others out there) have a real nice cap room plus if they really need to they can convert someone's salary into signing bonus and make more cap room. So there really aren't many players this team can sign if they really want to. Of course that puts a limit on the future but just saying the opportunity is there

This is despite all the experts saying for the past two years that Seattle would be in trouble as soon as they sign Sherman and Russell

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
kidhawk":2xu0xncx said:
kearly":2xu0xncx said:

Spotrac has us using $4.4 million on our draft class. They give us $25.2 million in space

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3uddxxu0 said:
kidhawk":3uddxxu0 said:
kearly":3uddxxu0 said:

Spotrac has us using $4.4 million on our draft class. They give us $25.2 million in space

Don't forget, that number is still flexible, as we don't know exactly what the comps will be and we have no idea what Pete and John will actually use and/or trade away, but it's a fairly solid solid estimate at this time.

Latest posts