Russell's Summer Camp Day One

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Pretty cool...Chemistry and bonding are essential ingredients to championship-caliber football.

[youtube]ZF5SPpfPSj4[/youtube]

McGruff

Reaction score
Good seeing Dissly running routes at full effort.

Also, freaking Ursua LOOKS just like ADB. Even the scowl is a dead ringer.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed on both counts. A healthy Dissly will be huge for us. Hope he can make it back 100%. Nice to see you back around here btw!

McGruff

Reaction score
Also interesting to hear Russ admit that he struggles to connect with teammates, and that's a point of emphasis for him this year.

Of course, he said it while droning on and on while half his teammates were tuning him out.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
McGruff":3sfaopt7 said:
Of course, he said it while droning on and on while half his teammates were tuning him out.

I did find it mildly humorous when he was talking about quarterbacks he studied and admired...Brees, Rivers, Brady...And he added himself in there for good measure, lol.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
As a teacher when I see those looks on my students faces I know it’s time to shut off my voice and move on. He’s not a teacher and I’m not an NFL QB. He does what he does really well. I’m not gonna fault him for droning on and on in a meeting.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1bs9r0ga said:
As a teacher when I see those looks on my students faces I know it’s time to shut off my voice and move on. He’s not a teacher and I’m not an NFL QB. He does what he does really well. I’m not gonna fault him for droning on and on in a meeting.

Too funny, that was my impression as well. "Zzzzzzzzz...When do we get to go shoot hoops?"

Russ is a good dude, but I am beginning to see how he does seem a bit disconnected and those stupid ESPN pieces might carry a tiny bit more weight.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think the big issue is that Russ grew up in middle class suburbia rather than in the streets like a lot of team mates. Probably why he connects better with guys like Lockett than guys like ADB.

But like Brady, Russ doesn't need his team mates to be his best friend. He needs them to respect him and trust him. I think he's earned that. And know that he's the veteran leader, I suspect the new WR's will look up to him more. In some ways, the loss of ADB might allow Russ to galvanize the group without their being Russ guys and ADB guys.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Yeah, I saw this earlier. The thing with Russell is simply the FACT that he was raised, and brought up in an environment that is literally 180° different than a good 95% of ANY teammates that he'll ever play with in this league. The 'connection' off the field is just simply not gonna be there with MOST guys other than the T. Locketts and the like.

The good news is that his work ethic + production ON the field speaks for itself and anyone with ANY sense can't do nothing but respect it. And as those 95%ers grow and mature they will learn really quickly that WINNING AS A TEAM trumps being able to get jiggy listening to and doing all the latest dumb dance moves to 'Lil Yung Big Baby G Eazy Pump Savage' with Russ and chasing tail. Aaaaand, they're pretty much assured that he's very unlikely to not be suspended for any number of reasons, so there's the on field consistency factor that's a major PLUS as well. I can't imagine that DK and Dissly would rather have Paxton or Geno throwing them the ball. No matter how 'well' they cus and can recite Future or Cardi B 'lyrics'.

chris98251

Reaction score
Upbringing of his nature should allow him to adapt to the situation, he should know the in's and outs since most the guys he has played with his entire career are from low income or challenged areas. That's no excuse really, I think it's all about his mentality and image.

I would call him a Corporate QB for lack of a better term.

Not that it may be bad but it's hard to sell to your team mates if you come off with corporate take on everything all the time when they know another side.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Day Two...

[youtube]YMDlXjF7Y4Q[/youtube]

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3cwixyll said:
I think the big issue is that Russ grew up in middle class suburbia rather than in the streets like a lot of team mates. Probably why he connects better with guys like Lockett than guys like ADB.

But like Brady, Russ doesn't need his team mates to be his best friend. He needs them to respect him and trust him. I think he's earned that. And know that he's the veteran leader, I suspect the new WR's will look up to him more. In some ways, the loss of ADB might allow Russ to galvanize the group without their being Russ guys and ADB guys.

Yea those mean streets of gulf breeze Florida being a cops son, what a tough upbringing

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":3dipitzn said:
Upbringing of his nature should allow him to adapt to the situation, he should know the in's and outs since most the guys he has played with his entire career are from low income or challenged areas. That's no excuse really, I think it's all about his mentality and image.

I would call him a Corporate QB for lack of a better term.

Not that it may be bad but it's hard to sell to your team mates if you come off with corporate take on everything all the time when they know another side.

I tend to agree, in any business, anytime you look like you're serving the interests of the organization more than your fellow workers you become the "company man" which is just another word for kiss-ass.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":uf5phrbe said:
I suspect many QB's get tuned out, that has never changed.

There's a bit of a disconnect at all levels with the QB. He's always wearing the red jersey and you're not allowed to even touch him in practice (for good reason), yet you don't have that camaraderie you do with the other dudes you're hitting in practice every day.

Latest posts