Russell Wilson Responds to Seahawks' Smear Campaign on ESPN

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Totally Russ' MO, let the camp do the low down, so he could take the high road.

Victimhood is the name of the game,
and nice guys got washed away like snow in the rain.
There's been a load of victimiising
On the road to his horizon
But he's gonna be where the lights are shinin' on him
Like a rhinestone cowboy
Riding out on a horse in a star-spangled rodeo
Like a rhinestone cowboy

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I didn't read anything that felt remotely like a 'smear campaign'.

Russ thinks his game is better/different than what Pete's gameplan needs. That's fine. We will see who's right. Stubbornness and resolve to stick with the plan hasn't won us anymore superbowls.

toffee

Reaction score

I understand some 12s on dot net might accuse me for lacking in sympathy towards Russell, being wrong by Pete etc. I must confess that sitting where I sat, I find it hard to have empathy towards bunch of boys, I meant Pete, John, Russell and Jody, all making tens if not hundreds of million a year. I just couldn't feel their pain, sorry.

keasley45

Reaction score
Most of the sentiment outside of Seattle favors Wilson.

So whatever PR battle they are running? They are losing.

Losing what? They aren't fighting anything. Speaking the truth about something when asked is just that. If it happens to contradict something someone else says... well thats tough.

Was KJ smearing Russ when Wednesday he basically confirmed that a major contributor to the team fracturing was the fact that Russ was being given credit for being THE star in Seattle when everyone in the lockeroom knew that he was being carried by the defense and the running game? And KJ has no ill will toward Russ and defended his wanting to try something different simply on the merit that that was his right.

But the difference here is that despite the fact the qb who could make some big throws was struggling and being buoyed by his team, Lynch, Sherm and the rest of the guys have NEVER done what Russ did. Sure, they grumbled behind closed doors and some if that leaked out. But never did they express in public with a mic in their face, frustration at having to carry a manager qb with a flair for the dramatic play.

The only smearing going on is from #3. It's calculated - His actions have been for almost 4 years now.

To say that he's a player on decline isn't smearing. It's why they were looking 4 years ago. You don't go shopping for a replacement if you think the guy you have is good enough. It was their assessment.

rcaido

Reaction score
Losing as who they believe was in the right...The perception of Russell Wilson. Only people in Seattle has negative view of Wilson in terms of his play. They still think he is corny/hollywood but hell of a QB. Our division rival fans are probably the happiest of all the NFL fans....Even they knew that Wilson was the reason they were getting their ass kicked the past decade. 49ers & Cardinals especially. Rams beatup Wilson, but im sure they are happy is now gone and out of the division and conference.

toffee

Reaction score
Please ask yourself, from team perspective, drafting Mahomes, Allen would have make the team better or keeping Wilson? We knew what happened by keeping Wilson, that was the path we took. But what if we had Mahomes or Allen in the past years? Will Pete again ruin them as Pete's being accused of doing by camp Russ?

I don't fault Schneider for looking around, that is his job. I don't fault Pete's decision for keeping Russ, that was the safer approach. I don't fault Russell feeling hurt as he was very good when that happened.

I don't understand why the team wanted this ESPN article before the big game, if they indeed were behind this article, what could it possibly achieve? I could however accept why team Russ wanted this article, after all victimhood is the name of their game. But we will never know what was behind the timing of this article.

chrispy

Reaction score
ESPN did the article to get clicks and it works. Not Russ. Not Seahawks FO.

I hope someone knows the LumenField PA guy and they play Rhinestone Cowboy as the Broncos take the field. If you didn't know, Russ' full name is Russel Carrington Wilson: RCW.
AKA, Rhinestone Cowboy Wilson.

willyrobt

Reaction score

looks bad if FO approved of that ESPN article.
I have a hard time believing these talking heads anymore. They will do anything for a story including fantasy garbage stories. Why would our team staff do anything like this?

Jac

Reaction score
That Broncos piece posted in this thread was ridiculously amateurish and whiny.

Mike D in 332

Reaction score

looks bad if FO approved of that ESPN article.
That looks like a knee jerk reaction to me. Brady Henderson took the time to get quotes from both sides and verify his information. They don’t offer any new evidence or information they only dispute what Brady said.

toffee

Reaction score
ESPN did the article to get clicks and it works. Not Russ. Not Seahawks FO.

I hope someone knows the LumenField PA guy and they play Rhinestone Cowboy as the Broncos take the field. If you didn't know, Russ' full name is Russel Carrington Wilson: RCW.
AKA, Rhinestone Cowboy Wilson.
I didn't know his middle name, thanks for the info. Honestly, most stars wanted to have all the lime lights shining on them and enter the arena as the rhinestone cowboy. But this song is too old and obscured to be played in Lumen Field, and frankly not as warm as "Sweet Caroline".

Own The West

Reaction score
I read both articles and didn't see the smear. The only named sources were Doug Baldwin and Pete Carroll from televised news conferences. And the 'insider' info all sounded like rumor mill stuff that you'd read on this board, not anything you'd expect from a NFL staffer. Maybe their source was Welshers' gardner/janitor/lunch lady friend...

Either way, Wilson is Denver's problem now and the league has 'Russball' on tape. I don't think he's going to be the savior Broncos fans were hoping he'd be.