Russell Wilson - A thought.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
The flea flicker play got me thinking. In my mind had that play not been a FF there is no way RW would have targeted Lockette on that play as he did. Having done the FF he was, in poker parlance, "pot committed" to launching it to the endzone.

My point is does Wilson have to trust his receivers more? Nobody wants cheap interceptions but our spluttering offense imho needs to be given more chance to make plays. I guess I'm asking is RW's reluctance to pull the trigger a reflection on him, the receivers or the OC? Maybe a bit all 3? Just thinking out loud.

mrt144

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":y9h5me6s said:
The flea flicker play got me thinking. In my mind had that play not been a FF there is no way RW would have targeted Lockette on that play as he did. Having done the FF he was, in poker parlance, "pot committed" to launching it to the endzone.

My point is does Wilson have to trust his receivers more? Nobody wants cheap interceptions but our spluttering offense imho needs to be given more chance to make plays. I guess I'm asking is RW's reluctance to pull the trigger a reflection on him, the receivers or the OC? Maybe a bit all 3? Just thinking out loud.

It's everything where nobody is helping make the job easier for anyone else.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
You could look at it that way or you might see it as, the play call being risky on it's own, un-cuffing Russell from the edict of not taking a risk with the ball. I guess it's become a Chicken vs Egg thing.

doctorsubie

Reaction score
RW also underthrew the pass, and it took an amazing play by RL to prevent a crushing interception/turn it into a 'miraculous' TD pass.

Overall, I haven't been impressed with RW's pocket poise this season. It's a little bit of everything: his height and vision, his trust in his O-line, his trust in his receivers, his ability to release the ball to a spot on timing. Seems that the only way we move the ball is on a scramble drill, when RW's out of the pocket and has a clear view. Otherwise, he holds the ball much too long waiting for his receivers to 'get open' rather than 'throwing them open'.

Just my $.02

mrt144

Reaction score
doctorsubie":2u4rie76 said:
RW also underthrew the pass, and it took an amazing play by RL to prevent a crushing interception/turn it into a 'miraculous' TD pass.

Overall, I haven't been impressed with RW's pocket poise this season. It's a little bit of everything: his height and vision, his trust in his O-line, his trust in his receivers, his ability to release the ball to a spot on timing. Seems that the only way we move the ball is on a scramble drill, when RW's out of the pocket and has a clear view. Otherwise, he holds the ball much too long waiting for his receivers to 'get open' rather than 'throwing them open'.

Just my $.02

But that's exactly the kind of throws people are criticizing him for NOT making - those balls that require a receiver to be hugely integral to making the play.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
doctorsubie":2tqn5yv0 said:

Just my $.02
This ^

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The whole point of the flea flicker was to buy time for Lockette to get deep so Wilson could hit him. Without the flea flicker part of that play, Wilson gets sacked.

I fondly remember Patera's razzle dazzle plays. They were exciting to watch and worked quite often. But there was a reason why Patera was so innovative: the team sucked. He didn't have the talent and had to resort to trickery to win games. We didn't care as fans, in fact, we loved it.

It's not a good sign that our OC is calling flea flickers and that's the only way our offense can get the job done.

Chawks1

Reaction score
hawkfannj":2hydrxfr said:
doctorsubie":2hydrxfr said:

Just my $.02
This ^

:13:

GeekHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":1fnnpxko said:
It's not a good sign that our OC is calling flea flickers and that's the only way our offense can get the job done.

The only time this offense works is when RW is scrambling. In other words, when bevel's play that he wrote up is not being used. The only way that succeeds is because RW is really good at it. In Minnesota, his offense didn't work until Favre was running it. And, he audibled out of the called play more often than not. Tarvaris Jackson ran the plays as designed: 7-9. RW scrambles out of the play and fakes it - 2 consecutive Superbowls, almost a third, and one SB win. Cable reduces the line to where even that much isn't possible: 2-4. So far...

brimsalabim

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1ajjnd7j said:
SalishHawkFan":1ajjnd7j said:

The only time this offense works is when RW is scrambling. In other words, when bevel's play that he wrote up is not being used. The only way that succeeds is because RW is really good at it. In Minnesota, his offense didn't work until Favre was running it. And, he audibled out of the called play more often than not. Tarvaris Jackson ran the plays as designed: 7-9. RW scrambles out of the play and fakes it - 2 consecutive Superbowls, almost a third, and one SB win. Cable reduces the line to where even that much isn't possible: 2-4. So far...
:13:

BadgerVid

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":15p27thb said:
They seem dead set on making him a pocket passer, instead of letting him do what he does best.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing necessarily if they would furnish an O-line capable of providing a pocket at least most of the time...

"Stand in the pocket in case this is one of the few times it actually holds" just isn't going to work.