Run D - Allowing less than 3 ypc

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I know everyones complaining about the pass d, and pass rush. But the Run D has been a pleasant surprise.

If you allow less than 3 ypc you're doing something right.

toffee

Reaction score
What I have seen noticing and bragging, our run defense ain't bad. Our DL is not as bad as some thinks, our DB isn't as good as it should be.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Between Zak and Elliot, this will be by far run defenses biggest test thus far.

Btw, give Adams some credit with the run defense, he's done a great job patrolling and moving up and down the line filling those run gaps. He's got 21 tackles already, most at the line of scrimmage.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I think we are going to really miss Irvin on run D. Seemed to me he was going a good job of setting the edge.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The numbers look good, but how much can also be attributed to teams having to throw the ball and essentially abandoning the run in the 2nd halves because of Seahawk leads?

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":29i4udr4 said:

Btw, give Adams some credit with the run defense, he's done a great job patrolling and moving up and down the line filling those run gaps. He's got 21 tackles already, most at the line of scrimmage.

Like Huard said in his radio show, Adams looks much better moving forward than backwards. I think it could be early season stuff but I would like to see his coverage tighten up. He's got a good coverage rep.

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":dta91u2m said:
The numbers look good, but how much can also be attributed to teams having to throw the ball and essentially abandoning the run in the 2nd halves because of Seahawk leads?

Sure - if your willing to give the pass D the same break...

But wouldn't that affect the total rush yards allowed and not the YPC?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":376z5rgf said:
Sgt. Largent":376z5rgf said:

Like Huard said in his radio show, Adams looks much better moving forward than backwards. I think it could be early season stuff but I would like to see his coverage tighten up. He's got a good coverage rep.

To be fair, that's not really his strength running after fast slot receivers like Edelman, especially for 5-6 seconds because our pass D couldn't pressure Cam.

He had to because Diggs got kicked out, but yes you always want your SS moving towards the line of scrimmage before the snap and attacking the line.

iigakusei

Reaction score
If you were an OC for the opposing team, would you run at all when you can throw for 400 per game?

rcaido

Reaction score
iigakusei":22qhvtpg said:
If you were an OC for the opposing team, would you run at all when you can throw for 400 per game?
Pete Carroll - Yes

D

DomeHawk

Sgt. Largent":ixb2racv said:
DomeHawk":ixb2racv said:
Sgt. Largent":ixb2racv said:

To be fair, that's not really his strength running after fast slot receivers like Edelman, especially for 5-6 seconds because our pass D couldn't pressure Cam.

He had to because Diggs got kicked out, but yes you always want your SS moving towards the line of scrimmage before the snap and attacking the line.

Granted, and even w/o the time I thought Edelman was spectacular all game long. But Adams has some cred in coverage and we are hoping he can bring some help to our cover-3 TE seam route woes.

"— but he is one of the better NFL safeties in coverage. In each of the last two seasons, QBs have had a pass rating below 80 when targeting Adams in coverage (2018: 67.3 | 2019: 79.1). ... Adams' versatility holds true in coverage, as he's effective in both man and zone coverage.Jun 22, 2020'

And remember that Adams is very much in the vein of the new wave of hybrid players:

"In the last two seasons, Adams has played 889 snaps in the box (42.7%), 578 snaps at free safety (27.8%), 303 snaps in the slot (14.5%), 234 snaps on the line of scrimmage (11.2%) and 74 snaps at outside cornerback (3.5%), grading well at each spot."

https://jetsxfactor.com/2020/05/11/new- ... ions-film/

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowbo ... s-defense/

chris98251

Reaction score
iigakusei":38eqncby said:

Umm the Falcons and Patriots threw about that much and wow I can't get over how much I am reading about their glorious wins.

xray

Reaction score
That stat is against Gurley and Newton for the most part , They are not close to Elliot . IMO

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The reality of having an early lead forces other teams to be more one dimensional and have to abandon the run, and if the run D is solid then it is even more discouraging to opposing O’s to run. The pass D will get better as they play together more and the NCB position gets sorted out. However, a determined running team may find that they can run with some limited success against this D if they aren’t forced to play catch up. The stat of less than 3 ypc is great but based on more factors than just good run stuffing.

I like the idea of finding a big DT who can clog up the middle like Harrison this could improve the collective D by allowing Reed more freedom to pressure the middle instead of just maintaining his gaps. I suspect the team has wanted to find the right guy to do this for a while but at their price. Harrison could be that guy but price will be critical.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
They'll keep combing the FA lists and castoff pile until they find a prospect or two. Most of the veteran DTs who'd be useful are out b/c it's close to the end or they are at the end of their careers or there is an injury issue or two. Someone will pop up or Harrison will actually not sniff at a couple of mil/yr.

CPHawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2kbkz0w9 said:
The reality of having an early lead forces other teams to be more one dimensional and have to abandon the run, and if the run D is solid then it is even more discouraging to opposing O’s to run. The pass D will get better as they play together more and the NCB position gets sorted out. However, a determined running team may find that they can run with some limited success against this D if they aren’t forced to play catch up. The stat of less than 3 ypc is great but based on more factors than just good run stuffing.

I like the idea of finding a big DT who can clog up the middle like Harrison this could improve the collective D by allowing Reed more freedom to pressure the middle instead of just maintaining his gaps. I suspect the team has wanted to find the right guy to do this for a while but at their price. Harrison could be that guy but price will be critical.

At the end of 3 qrts, the pats had around 250 yards. I think our D has also played really soft in the 4th quarter, which isn't new for Pete's D with a lead.

toffee

Reaction score
The girls' run offense was good, til they met our run D.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Given the choice to be elite against the run, and get a ton of Instagram followers...you take the latter.

Run defense is only useful if you have some pass defense.

Better to be decent against then pass and poor but not terrible against the run than the reverse. And certainly being elite against the run is near worthless if you don't have a good pass defense.

Again, being elite against the run and terrible against the pass is near worthless.

Stopping the run is overrated when you have a high powered offense.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":9gdllqeh said:
Given the choice to be elite against the run, and get a ton of Instagram followers...you take the latter.

Run defense is only useful if you have some pass defense.

Better to be decent against then pass and poor but not terrible against the run than the reverse. And certainly being elite against the run is near worthless if you don't have a good pass defense.

Again, being elite against the run and terrible against the pass is near worthless.

Stopping the run is overrated when you have a high powered offense.
I disagree..The odds for a turnover against passing are higher..
Strip sacks,interceptions,fumble by WR and TO's on downs.
You saw some of these in the game and it made a difference
as it always has.
Allowing runs chews clock ect even makes it harder to pass defend.
I think we would have a couple losses without a run D.

Latest posts