Ruminations on the Panthers Game

Fade

Reaction score
Ruminations on the Panthers Game is a post-game thread for everyone on .NET to post their thoughts (ruminations) about the game.

The Seahawks have to make every game hard, even the easy ones. Having a twenty point lead, they didn't know what to do with themselves. Allowing Carolina to convert deep outs to stop the clock, and surrendering 15 yard cushions on the check downs underneath allowed CAR to march down the field with ease and put 2 quick TD's on the board and wipeout a 3 score lead. Thankfully Wilson converted on 3rd and 11 to Tyler Lockett, to save what should've been a blowout win, to a skin of their teeth victory.

The Offense was impressive early, scoring 3 TDs on their first 3 drives. Blending run & pass, like all NFL teams should. Then Pete thought the game was over and decided to run into loaded boxes for most of the rest of the game. Even though the playaction pass was wide open, as CAR was selling out to stop the run.

Seattle was missing a ton of starters on defense in this game, but thankfully they were tasked with defending Kyle Allen who was making rookie mistakes through out the contest, which in turn inspired Pete to get all the more conservative on both offense and defense, figuring he didn't need anymore points. He was wrong. The game suddenly came down to a 3rd and 11, again thankfully Wilson and Lockett converted.

RANDOM PLAYERS & COACHES NOTES

*Schotty had a nice opening drive, blending the run and misdirection "dink" passing. Carson was also getting more than what was blocked up at times, as he could've been tackled in the backfield on his TD run.

*Carolina is ranked 29th in stopping the run and they looked as advertised on that first drive.

*It's great to see DK catch a 50/50 TD fade. He has struggled with those the whole year, if he can start bringing those in he will be hard to stop.

*Back to back TD drives to open a game? It's been a long time since they've done that.

*Poona shoots the gap and makes a great tackle on CMC.

*So when are the Seahawks going to stop these teams from running jet sweeps? Carolina has run it pretty much the entire drive with great success, lol.

*Josh Gordon with incredible extension on that deep catch. They should target him more.

*Pro Tip: Don't go empty on 3rd and manageable. The refs bail out the Seahawks on a would be sack-fumble.

*3 drives, 3 TDs! A coverage bust so Lockett glides in for the easy TD.

*Kyle Allen looked so good in his first 5 starts, and then the league got film on him.

*Pro Tip: Carolina is selling out to stop the run, playaction pass will be wide open. Do it one time on 1st down, please.

*Carolina could run checks, swings to CMC, with jet sweeps mixed in the whole game. They would score every possession. Good thing they won't.

*CJ Prosise is amazing... In Pete Carroll's dreams. The Free Safety shifted down, should've checked to a backside post.

*20-7 at the half, but it feels like the Hawks should've had another TD on the board.

*Diggs is injured they are now a 2 high team. I think Diggs is fine, they just don't want to risk him getting further injured. They need him against SF in Week 17, put him in bubble wrap until then.

*Sure, WR Pass, why not? The Seahawks didn't drive the length of the field three straight TD drives to open the game, without using gimmicks. Oh wait, they did. Cut the crap, run playaction pass and win the game. Pete hates blowing out other teams, it's a rule of his or something.

*Three straight plays, three straight interceptions. CAR-SEA-CAR. KJ Wright has nearly doubled his career INT total in 1 game.

*The Seahawks up 2 scores, burn a TO, and elect to attempt a FG that would put them up 2 scores. Makes sense. (No it doesn't.) Explicit tweets ascend across the internet.

*Another 4th and short adventure with Pete Carroll. Let's see if this strategy pays off for him. They run it, like they should've on the previous 4th down for the TD. He should decide to go for it more on 4th and short when you have a back like Carson, and QB like Wilson. Especially if it turns it into a 3 score game.

*How to mismanage a 20 point lead 101. Throw the ball even though you want the opponent to burn all of their timeouts, and run as much clock as possible. On defense allow deep outs to be converted so the WR can get out of bounds and stop the clock. Have a 15 yard cushion in the middle of the field so check downs can also go for big gains. The game isn't over coaches, I don't know why you're acting like it is.

*RW & Lockett pull the coaching staff out of the fire, and convert the 3rd and 11. Lockett still isn't quite right, but he is looking a lot better than he has in about a month. Pete Carroll tried his damnedest to screw up this game, but Wilson wouldn't let him.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Seattle, now with a win against the Cardinals setup the epic final showdown for the division title against the 49ers, and a 1st round bye.

I really like Seattle in this spot, not only are they at home, but they get a relative cupcake against the Cards, while the 49ers are going to have to be in a street brawl against the Rams who will be fighting for their playoff lives. Seattle can continue to rest players as needed like they did this week, and be as fresh as they possibly can be going into week 17.

Jimmy G under the bright lights vs Wilson. As I fully expect this game to get flexed to SNF.

Seahawks 13-3

Saints 13-3

Packers 13-3

A three way tie breaker goes to the Seahawks, and they would be the #1 seed.

A thousand things happen in a football game, and I can't point everyone of them out. This is not a soapbox post by any means, and I enjoy reading much more than I do typing. So please feel free to leave your thoughts about the game.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Coaching:

Was a no-brainer to come out and run run run, and it worked. So, I guess that's good coaching? Per usual, they won't change anything in game when every other team does, which is why every game is close.

Rope a dope Pete crazy like a fox? Dunno, but I guess having the mentality that every game/season is a marathon and just chug along enough to win without blowing out so-so teams...once again a good game was turned into heart attack material for apparently no reason. Sigh.

The Gordon "trick play" was pointless. Just. Don't. Ever. It's not a good luck on you.

Players:

Carson crushing it, as the broadcasters managed to spend 10 seconds pointing out. Progess!

Procise...yeah, NFL history is littered with athletically insane players, who either have injury problems, or look amazeballs in practice, but choke in the spotlight. (Calling Percy Harvin...) That fumble should signal that this is the last season for CJ. He's a PeteyPetProject, but dang. Enough.

I still think the Pete marathon mentality had him sit the 4 defensive ballers today, and will probably happen again next week, depending on how each player is healing up. Clowney will be out until SF or until playoffs, depending. Wagner ankle was a heart-skipper...may not see him next week.

McCafe is insane. If you take the MVP award literally, he is carrying his team right now. Lamar Jackson is GOOD, son, but he also has a great team around him. He will probably win, because the NFL like's a shiny new toy. Russell is elite as always, but MVP looking longer shot unless he outlasts the Ravens thru the playoffs. At any rate, when McCafe punched that pick six against him out...that's just insane. He makes every defense look bad. Nuthin' you can do about it.

Wide-receiver corp is looking TALENTED, welcome back Lockett. Why was he out there fielding kicks again? Let Homer get on it. WRers didn't do much today, but was low priority given Pantha's pathetic run D. Lotsa good weapons moving forward.

Meyer missed the extra point. Who cares? You can count the reliable kickers in the NFL this year on one hand. And they are GOOD. Tis what it tis.

Refs:

Mostly a hands off game, but of course they had to start calling ticky tack holding calls to keep the game close for the home team/COME FROM BEHIND upset story line. It seems almost SO obvious, I'm beginning to wonder if fatigue on both the players and refs (they're out there running around for 3 hours too) create a perfect storm for end-of-game headslapperz calls. Or both of those things. They are consistently incompetent, so I guess there's some solace in that...

They went 7-1 on the road this year, and crushed the early east coast ghost. Can't wait to see Carolina next year! I assume.

It's that time of year when all of the good teams win, so not expecting any upsets to help us today. Two more to go baby, let's rock!

sutz

Reaction score
So, you're saying "Nice win, but...?"

:twisted:

AubHawk71

Reaction score
sutz":sg96s3cd said:

The only way to kill a troll is to starve it to death.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I was following along for the game online, then had to go to a Christmas party. With the game seeming to be easily in hand, I didn't give it much of a thought. Then I decided to check and it was 30-24, with a couple minutes left and the Seahawks facing a 3rd and long. Was a bit more anxious for my next opportunity to check in on the game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
AubHawk71":35kj8oye said:
sutz":35kj8oye said:

You are welcome to post your own essays. More content is always good, and considerably better for the community than just taking potshots at others'.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":18izi3k2 said:
AubHawk71":18izi3k2 said:
sutz":18izi3k2 said:

You are welcome to post your own essays. More content is always good, and considerably better for the community than just taking potshots at others'.

Agreed, but:

chris98251

Reaction score
sutz":7au6ur7t said:

After 20 plus years of trolling you should not invoke the wrath of common sense posters that are waiting not to feed you Sutz.

xray

Reaction score
I was thrilled at the 30-10 point of the game ; but somehow the coaches didn't like that score . It's a win though .

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Might be my blue and green glasses but I thougth the holding call on Brown was garbage. Looked like the defensive back was going down on his own.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
UPDATE:

The 49ers loss doesn't change anything. They still have to beat them week 17. Now if the 49ers lose again next week that could make things interesting.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1206372988058247168[/tweet]
#1 Seed for now though, but still have to win week 17 as it stands.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Fade":ehpv8h4c said:
UPDATE:

The 49ers loss doesn't change anything. They still have to beat them week 17. Now if the 49ers lose again next week that could make things interesting.

If the game was being played by robots and officiated by computers, then yes.

But these are young human men prone to emotion, which is why it makes it worthwhile for us meat space humans to watch in the first place.

I'm just bustin' your chops. Your analysis is great.

Sleep tight, Hawk fans. Regardless of the process, that was as great a Sunday as the last one was not...

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":2g4al9xw said:
sutz":2g4al9xw said:

After 20 plus years of trolling you should not invoke the wrath of common sense posters that are waiting not to feed you Sutz.
I think you have to say that was some pretty low grade trolling :laugh:

2o years? Has it been that long?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Anyone else on the last Carson TD think we should have gone for 2. Would have been a 21 point lead if successful with the difference between 19 and 20 not much at that point. Didn’t seem like big deal at the time but the way it played out...

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
HawkRiderFan":2jm11bap said:
Anyone else on the last Carson TD think we should have gone for 2. Would have been a 21 point lead if successful with the difference between 19 and 20 not much at that point. Didn’t seem like big deal at the time but the way it played out...

Yep. If we hadn't got a reversal of the call on Prosise' fumble down deep at our own end that missed extra point kick might have decided the game the wrong way.
But it didn't, so all is well that ends well. 11-3 stands on it's own.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm glad we won, obviously; but damn, I swear Pete's half-time locker room speeches must be something along the lines of "it's bad form to beat your opponent by more than a score, so let's allow 'em back in the game a bit, and maybe we'll run more soft zone"...

Blindside

Reaction score
I would not overlook the cardinals especially at this late stage of the season. Arizona surprised the Browns and are more than capable of upsetting the Hawks on any given Sunday.

Latest posts