Ruminations on the Cardinals Game

morgulon1

Reaction score
Id like to think it was the injuries to Clowney , Brown , Diggs. Then add both our starting RBs
And I dont think Wagner or Wright are 100%. Come to think of it, RW didnt look to
Me like he usually does ( seemed a little off)

Then we see that the coaches refuse to make adjustments like other teams in the NFL
And thats how you lose to the 3-9 Cardinals.

I made a post earlier in the year that hinted at the fact that we werent quite the team that
Our record indicated. I caught a lot of you know what. But this is what Im talking
About. I dont see Seattle getting far in the playoffs.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get killed for this but Pete is washed. His explanation of the first half timeout was that he wanted to get the ball back.....there was 27 seconds on the clock. This is the 3rd or 4th time his post game answer made absolutely zero sense. He's handcuffing the team at this point and for the first time ever I think he probably needs to go. Maybe I'll cool off but I'm honestly worried about Pete.

morgulon1

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":y9l24xkz said:
I know how you guys feel. Like when we lost the Falcons game at home. A trap game against a bad team that you look past to see the future weeks big match up. It's a terrible feeling losing the trap game you didn't expect. Trust me I know. I still think you guys have a real good team. Russell Wilson is awesome and Pete Carroll is an excellent coach. I still think your team can do things in the playoffs.

Sheeesh man. That's nice. I still hate SF but thats nice of you to say.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
austinslater25":ycpf8hjz said:
I'm sure I'll get killed for this but Pete is washed. His explanation of the first half timeout was that he wanted to get the ball back.....there was 27 seconds on the clock. This is the 3rd or 4th time his post game answer made absolutely zero sense. He's handcuffing the team at this point and for the first time ever I think he probably needs to go. Maybe I'll cool off but I'm honestly worried about Pete.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1208943315225235458[/tweet]

I am looking at Pete like Felix Hernandez, he used to be great, not anymore.

He is going to be the stick in the spokes from here on out.

2Fmediagiphycom2Fmedia2FSGntANM7S66xq2Fgiphy

Pete Carroll's defense has gotten statistically worse for 6 straight seasons.

Yeah, you're going to have down years, it happens, but 6 straight years of getting worse on defense? I keep waiting for them to get better, but it just keeps going the other way.

The trends are damning.

Russell Wilson has been masking a dumpster fire. A league average QB at the helm and this team is 4-12, 5-11, a backup QB they are 1-15, 0-16.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Wow I really thought that FOX had screwed up their time outs graphic and that The Cards actually had one more time out. To think that Pete called a time out there was just completely lacking in logic. As I said on the Gameday Forum, a Jr. High coach doesn't make that call. Utterly baffled and also very worried.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Wow didn't see that coming OK 11-5 still not a bad record I watched the 49ers game they are going to blow us out I'll bet by 20 pts or better if we score a TD I'll be surprised That front 4 is way better then the Cards front 4 and the Rams front 4 all they have to do is pass to whom ever is covered by the LB's 5-10 yds all night long or get the RB coming out of the backfield LB's hardly ever cover them.

On the positive note I think they need to lose this game and go on the road they'er way more prepared on the road then they are at home probably more focus on the game instead of family time at home. I'd rather see them as a 5 seed then a 3 seed.

Why they don't go with quick passes like they did the one game I'll never know I still think they need A great QB coach.

This D is not Mean or aggressive they look at the receiver before he catches the ball instead of looking for the ball when the receiver looks for it Just makes you wonder if Sherman was self taught. Our D use to have an attitude not any more I think that is what made the D so great accountability then you'd watch the sideline and you'd know who made the mistake.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
You watch the NFL channel don't think I like Sanders anymore laughing about the 12s.

cymatica

Reaction score
Fade":spa31e9x said:
austinslater25":spa31e9x said:

Yeah, you're going to have down years, it happens, but 6 straight years of getting worse on defense? I keep waiting for them to get better, but it just keeps going the other way.

The trends are damning.

Russell Wilson has been masking a dumpster fire. A league average QB at the helm and this team is 4-12, 5-11, a backup QB they are 1-15, 0-16.

6 straight punting drives, doesn't go for it on 4th and 1, oline is injured, yet he thinks they can score in 20 seconds? The funny thing is, he wanted to get the correct play in, yet they barely avoided a touchdown by getting lucky. Seems like almost every time they call a timeout to get situated, it results in a penalty or no gain.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
cymatica":2thlg5a1 said:
Fade":2thlg5a1 said:
austinslater25":2thlg5a1 said:

The trends are damning.

6 straight punting drives, doesn't go for it on 4th and 1, oline is injured, yet he thinks they can score in 20 seconds? The funny thing is, he wanted to get the correct play in, yet they barely avoided a touchdown by getting lucky. Seems like almost every time they call a timeout to get situated, it results in a penalty or no gain.

Funny, on the broadcast, the explanation given to the reporter was that "they didn't have the right guys in there" or something to that effect (as to the excuse for the horrific timeout)

That Pete actually thought he could drum something up with less than 20 seconds to go in the half is scary.

Yikes

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Aros":3pf2rkoo said:
Fade":3pf2rkoo said:
The season is over. Pete is out of his depth on gamedays, they are too beat up to make a playoff run, and they likely cost themselves a bye week with this loss even if they win against SF next week. They will likely be the #3 seed if they manage a victory over the 49ers, and will be too injured to defeat a rested #1 or #2 seed coming off of their bye. Just enjoy a single playoff victory if they can even manage that. This sucks.

LOL, love your posts in general but even you have to admit you could have waited 24 hours or so to post your analysis. Your sleeves are revealing your emotions all too well. ;)

11-4. We can still win the division next Sunday night. And as crappy as they looked tonight, if you really think that is the same team that will show up next Sunday night against the 49ers I would suggest you have forgotten how this team tends to work. Chin up 12! This garbage game will NOT be any indicator for next Sunday night.

You have my word.
Eternal optimism doesn't actually translate to extra wins. Just sayin'.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
1) The Seahawks made one of the worst defenses in the league look like the 2000 Ravens.

2) The Seahawks made Brett Hundley look like Colin Kaepernick.

3) And finally this tweet should have the entire fanbase pissed. What a clown car show.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/1208909336367382533[/tweet]

4) Ben Baldwin with some egg on the face.

Good night.

cymatica

Reaction score
Hawkpower":30b6i7k9 said:
cymatica":30b6i7k9 said:
Fade":30b6i7k9 said:
austinslater25":30b6i7k9 said:

The trends are damning.

Funny, on the broadcast, the explanation given to the reporter was that "they didn't have the right guys in there" or something to that effect (as to the excuse for the horrific timeout)

That Pete actually thought he could drum something up with less than 20 seconds to go in the half is scary.

Yikes

Not having the right guys in is just as bad considering the previous play was within 10 yards. How much do you really need to change personnel wise that close? Why couldn't they be prepared to sub fast since AZ had 0 timeouts. That's the coaches job for crying out loud.

cymatica

Reaction score
Fade":us22t1jk said:
1) The Seahawks made one of the worst defenses in the league look like the 2000 Ravens.

2) The Seahawks made Brett Hundley look like Colin Kaepernick.

3) And finally this tweet should have the entire fanbase pissed. What a clown car show.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/1208909336367382533[/tweet]

4) Ben Baldwin with some egg on the face.

Good night.

Yeah, move out of Chandler Jones way so you can block your own lineman, where there was already 4 on 2 in the middle and #58 still squeezed through. This team plays hard, just not smart at all

niveky

Reaction score
All I can say is, everyone says "you know, everyone has injuries this time of year, all the teams have to deal with it. it is no excuse." to an extent that viewpoint is sustainable. I was looking at a stat yesterday that I believe someone brought up here. Seattle has been the second most injured team in the league this year. Out of the top five injured teams Seattle is the only one that is going to be in the playoffs, let alone still has a possible shot at maybe the number 3 or maybe even 2 seed still depending on how games go next week. One team was ahead of them by one. they had, I think 234 injuries going into yesterday's game. Two starting offensive linemen out, top two running backs left, out.

I know there are other concerns with coaching, etc but at some point do you just lose enough players that depth just doesn't hold out? I mean, to this point, this team has shown to have great depth and to mostly handle players going down and find ways mostly to win. That depth has still been pretty good, despite what played out last night. I mean, 234 player injuries that have resulted in players missing games BEFORE last night..there is only so much depth can do. I also believe there is only so much coaches can do when so many players are unavailable to them. Could they have rallied better, probably, but there is a reason that the players in the positions missing are and have been the starters.

Clowney--really great run defender
Diggs--really helped the back end get more comfortable and has been a really forceful presence there
Shaquill Griffin--most consistent cornerback on the team this year and most of the year been playing at a high level.
Duane Brown-- Best O-lineman on the team and the one who would have been on Chandler in many situations last night.

then you have in Game
Chris Carson-4th leading rusher in the league and was really moving the ball before he went out.
C.J. Procise- already was a bad proposition due to his injury history when Carson went down.

Aside from the injuries, and i'll just add them here as another indicator of players not available.

Al Woods--Not a world beater but has been pretty solid this year and if I am not mistaken has been pretty decent in run support. I think having him AND Clowney(beast on his own) together would have made a huge difference in just that respect.

Josh Gordon-Team knew the risk when they got him, but for the production he had it was working. All his catches had been clutch catches that kept them in games, despite the low targets. Really unfortunate

I understand that a lot of heat is on the coaches for various reasons, but at the same time. They are also the ones who know what they have and don't have, and sometimes they may not know what they have in back ups at certain positions. Pete has been under fire for questionable decisions pretty often, so I doubt he will get any kind of break for things despite this really crappy luck with the injury bug this year. I am not saying I think it is not warranted, but due to past instances I think maybe no one wants to actually acknowledge, really acknowledge, what they had to work with last night and just lay it all on Pete. I agree with everyone about Norton. With Schotty, I don't really. He has done a pretty good job all year, but when you have players in that, while they are supposed to know the system, just aren't getting snaps all year long..it's hard to expect them to execute. Even for being the 4th string running back, as an example, Homer had a few nice runs but I doubt they really have a great idea of how to use them because he hasn't been able to show much of what he can do since he doesn't get the reps the other rb's would.

Honestly, I think a lot of the fanbase is spoiled. If someone had told me the seahawks would have about close to 240 injuries knocking players from being able to play in games this year and they would still technically have a shot at the 2 seed and a very real shot at the 3, and then the 5 or 6(I think that is right) seed.....

How many years in the past, "man, so many injuries...maybe next year" but not this team...this team has gotten here despite that.

Backups have to step up, yes, but there is a reason that 3rd and 4th stringers and even plenty of 2nd string are not starters on this and other teams.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
niveky":164j0z2g said:
All I can say is, everyone says "you know, everyone has injuries this time of year, all the teams have to deal with it. it is no excuse." to an extent that viewpoint is sustainable. I was looking at a stat yesterday that I believe someone brought up here. Seattle has been the second most injured team in the league this year. Out of the top five injured teams Seattle is the only one that is going to be in the playoffs, let alone still has a possible shot at maybe the number 3 or maybe even 2 seed still depending on how games go next week. One team was ahead of them by one. they had, I think 234 injuries going into yesterday's game. Two starting offensive linemen out, top two running backs left, out.

I know there are other concerns with coaching, etc but at some point do you just lose enough players that depth just doesn't hold out? I mean, to this point, this team has shown to have great depth and to mostly handle players going down and find ways mostly to win. That depth has still been pretty good, despite what played out last night. I mean, 234 player injuries that have resulted in players missing games BEFORE last night..there is only so much depth can do. I also believe there is only so much coaches can do when so many players are unavailable to them. Could they have rallied better, probably, but there is a reason that the players in the positions missing are and have been the starters.

Clowney--really great run defender
Diggs--really helped the back end get more comfortable and has been a really forceful presence there
Shaquill Griffin--most consistent cornerback on the team this year and most of the year been playing at a high level.
Duane Brown-- Best O-lineman on the team and the one who would have been on Chandler in many situations last night.

then you have in Game
Chris Carson-4th leading rusher in the league and was really moving the ball before he went out.
C.J. Procise- already was a bad proposition due to his injury history when Carson went down.

Aside from the injuries, and i'll just add them here as another indicator of players not available.

Al Woods--Not a world beater but has been pretty solid this year and if I am not mistaken has been pretty decent in run support. I think having him AND Clowney(beast on his own) together would have made a huge difference in just that respect.

Josh Gordon-Team knew the risk when they got him, but for the production he had it was working. All his catches had been clutch catches that kept them in games, despite the low targets. Really unfortunate

I understand that a lot of heat is on the coaches for various reasons, but at the same time. They are also the ones who know what they have and don't have, and sometimes they may not know what they have in back ups at certain positions. Pete has been under fire for questionable decisions pretty often, so I doubt he will get any kind of break for things despite this really crappy luck with the injury bug this year. I am not saying I think it is not warranted, but due to past instances I think maybe no one wants to actually acknowledge, really acknowledge, what they had to work with last night and just lay it all on Pete. I agree with everyone about Norton. With Schotty, I don't really. He has done a pretty good job all year, but when you have players in that, while they are supposed to know the system, just aren't getting snaps all year long..it's hard to expect them to execute. Even for being the 4th string running back, as an example, Homer had a few nice runs but I doubt they really have a great idea of how to use them because he hasn't been able to show much of what he can do since he doesn't get the reps the other rb's would.

Honestly, I think a lot of the fanbase is spoiled. If someone had told me the seahawks would have about close to 240 injuries knocking players from being able to play in games this year and they would still technically have a shot at the 2 seed and a very real shot at the 3, and then the 5 or 6(I think that is right) seed.....

How many years in the past, "man, so many injuries...maybe next year" but not this team...this team has gotten here despite that.

Backups have to step up, yes, but there is a reason that 3rd and 4th stringers and even plenty of 2nd string are not starters on this and other teams.
You're right for sure and I'm not hypercritical of Pete and generally supportive. However.......the punt on 4th and 1 from their 35 was inexcusable, the time out at the end of the 1st half that set them up for a TD try when they likely would've had to clock it and kick a FG was Jr. High level bad and utterly insane and running your 4th string RB into a wall on 3rd and 3 after a blocked FG could've changed the entire momentum of the game rather than putting the ball in the hands of/trying to pass with your BEST PLAYER is maybe even more insane. So what if he's sacked (likely I'm afraid). You'd still be in makable FG range. You said yourself the coaches may not yet know the best way to use Homer so why try to make him Chris Carson? Injuries should not have had any bearing on any of those decisions.

kmeleon

Reaction score
onepicknick1":7j5z6eba said:
You watch the NFL channel don't think I like Sanders anymore laughing about the 12s.

You actually liked Sanders....I had to turn off the pregame show Saturday night before the niners game because he wouldn't shut up about Kittle and the eventual SB champion 49ers....Ok maybe I made up that last part. He's such a homer. And who gives a crap what he thinks about our fan base.

xray

Reaction score
number 1 seed to wild card in 3 hours time . The only way they beat SF will be if SF rests all of their starters . Anyone that has been watching closely this season knows that Carroll has become an obstacle for the teams success . If he really cared about the Hawks ; he would retreat to the HO duties and find a new HC next season ; or we can expect 2 more years of what we saw yesterday . IMO

ducks41468

Reaction score
No one's denying the injuries, the main gripe is over the complete lack of effort and cowardly playcalling

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Rant on;

Frankly that was a terrible performance yesterday, glad I missed the game and sold my tickets, family commitments. The Hawks sucked and we are now totally screwed. I think the 49ers will eat our lunch next Sunday. It will be the 5th seed and we will lose on the road to Philly or whomever. What a completely discouraging game.

No LT, no LG, no C, no #1 RB, no #2 RB,, no #3 RB, no LDE, no RDE. no RDT , no LCB, no FS, everyone is hurt; and the team can't stop diddly squat, Lano Hill has proven he can't play more than weak relief. Pass protection is missing, can't run, can't run block with the guys left, can't pass, can't pass rush, can't get off the field on 3rd down to a weak team. Doesn't look like a playoff team to me, and certainly not one that deserves to be the #1 or #2 seed. We are going to get steamrolled by the Digits, and thereafter in the playoffs. There was nothing worthy of a positive commentary about the game today, except the first drive.

I don't know what happened to coaches after the first two drives, hibernation or complete brain fade. Once AZ had a lead the team simply did nothing much that caused me to think they'd make it back into the game. Of course they didn't but Pete Schotty and our moribund DC Norton couldn't adjust to reality and they all made some galactically dumb decisions.

They, the whole team sucked, and are now so nicked up there is little if any chance of getting a bye. SF would need to crap the bed. We are faced with the reality this season was just smoke and mirrors, 11-5, 4-4 @ home losing 3 of the last 4 games 1st seed to 6th seed. Reality is a probable 1st round playoff exit in Philly, Dallas, Minnie, NO, or GB anything else is unlikely. I know I'm being uncharacteristically negative but there was just zip coming from that game that provided any faint spark of hope.

Rant off.

Torc

Reaction score
I was primarily frustrated by two things: clearly the punt in Cardinal territory was pretty obnoxious. On the plus side, it wasn't a touchback.

But the really crazy part was trying to run Homer like a starter. Your top three RBs are out of the game, your best OL-man is out, and you're trying to pound the ball. At what point do you realize that your future HOF QB, who was a serious contender for MVP for most of the year, needs to be given the ball? A little bit of a quick passing game would have opened up the running lanes and THEN you start to feed Homer a bit.

Sometimes I think that Russel is underrated by the rest of the league because he is underrated by his own coaches. Can you see Brees or Rodgers not throwing the ball in that situation? I think not.