Rob Gronkowski vs Kam Chancellor

SonicHawk

Reaction score
RobGronkowskiKamChancellor6dXUl WJ37Um

This is the only matchup that matters to me.

The best TE in the league vs the best SS in the league.

canhawkfan

Reaction score
I think it was KJ that did such a great job on Jimmy Graham a couple times last year.
Gronk is much stronger though.

IcedHawk

Reaction score
I'm actually really nervous about this matchup. TEs exploiting the middle of the field had been one of our major problems on defense, and gronk is the type of player that'll turn 9-11 yard gains into 20+ yard gains.

lobohawk

Reaction score
One of the most important ways to deal with Gronk is to not let him run free off the line. Chip, bump, whatever. He needs momentum to get up to speed and this kills timing. Teams successful against Gronk have done this.

blazen2392

Reaction score
No one is stopping gronk. We will slow him down but don't expect us to erase him like jimmy graham. He is ten times the tight end Graham is.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'll consider it a good day for the LoB if they limit Gronk to 50 yards and one TD. He certainly won't run backwards from Kam Chancellor like Graham did.

SeaChase

Reaction score
IcedHawk":3c8t5hhc said:
I'm actually really nervous about this matchup. TEs exploiting the middle of the field had been one of our major problems on defense, and gronk is the type of player that'll turn 9-11 yard gains into 20+ yard gains.
This^^

We have to careful with this matchup. We also have to watch for the trick plays and weird stuff.

ivotuk

Reaction score
There was a stat (from Merrill Hoge) earlier in the year showing that on about 90% of Gronkowskis TDs he had a free release from the line.

SirTed

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what Seattle does because (at least IMO) they really don't have an outside threat.
Edelman, I guess - but I think he does a lot of work out of the slot.

My understanding from Pats fans in my life and Bill Simmons is that Brady's arm is dying and he really can't throw the deep ball. How do the Seahawks combat all the short crossing stuff and take away Gronk? The Packers found the middle of the field to the TE easily on Sunday. Scary - but that's with 2+ solid threats outside.

Can we find our pass rush again? Who knew Jordan Hill was THAT VALUABLE.

Plus, I could see the Pats coming out with a lot of single back, 3TE looks with variable RB's in the mix and using a lot of power O and up tempo offense to keep the Seahawks in their big defensive sets - which I think is their biggest weakness.

I was shocked how well Lacy ran the ball against us. Usually the Hawks dominate the bigger back type and struggle more with the shifty type. I'm going to have 2 weeks of Blount nightmares.

HeatEquation

Reaction score
Gronk was held in check (though he did have a TD) against Indy and we still dropped 45 on them. Obviously Seattle's D is much better than Indy's, but we do have other weapons, and utilizing too many resources on trying to limit Gronk could cost you.

The thing about Gronk is that he is an incredible run blocker in addition to being one of the best receivers in the league. If your D comes out in the nickel trying to stop the pass, TB can easily audible to the run and we can pound the ball with success given Gronk's superb blocking ability.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Gronk will catch some balls.
Limiting yards after catch will be key. Kam will do a good job of that.
Obviously 1 or 2 "slobber Knockers" early, to set the tone won't hurt either.
Well they will hurt, but not us.
:{)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete's an underrated schemer, I fully expect with two weeks to prepare he'll make sure he has a solid plan in place to handle Gronk.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think KJ is the guy who is most important in shutting down Gronk. Chancellor will be involved and will probably help but KJ is going to have to play lights out and he is definitely capable of it.

Green Bay had success in the middle of the field but after the Seahawks ditched zone and went more man to man in the second half it closed up significantly for GB. It will be interesting to see how they defend NE.

ShaunPope

Reaction score
I'd like to see Bruce Irvin get a crack at Gronk as well. Irvin is probably the most athletic and lengthy LB we have and he has been improving in pass coverage. Use all 3 of Kam, KJ and Irvin on Gronk.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Maxwell, Lane, and Sherman have to erase LaFell, Amendola, and Edelman. I don't see a problem there. So we can practically devote 2 players to Gronk at all times. (One LB will want to watch Vereen who is an excellent pass-catching RB.)

It's really going to be NE's run game versus our run defense. Not too worried there, either, but Belicheck did rough up the Lions pretty good.

blazen2392

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":vh0ojhzz said:
Maxwell, Lane, and Sherman have to erase LaFell, Amendola, and Edelman. I don't see a problem there. So we can practically devote 2 players to Gronk at all times. (One LB will want to watch Vereen who is an excellent pass-catching RB.)

It's really going to be NE's run game versus our run defense. Not too worried there, either, but Belicheck did rough up the Lions pretty good.

On paper these guys aren't as sexy as the 2013 broncos wide receiving corp, but they have way more heart. they are true competitors. Erasing them is not likely. For me, the most important matchup is our Dline with their Oline. We haven't been getting pressure lately since jordan Hill went down, and it is costing us big time. Last thing we need is Brady to tear us up from the pocket. Brady starts getting happy feet when you bring pressure in his face, especially up the middle.

gonzhawk

Reaction score
Doesn't this team match up with us like the Chargers?

I am worried about how Antonio Gates abused us for 3 TDs and Rivers dinked and dunked us with tiny running backs.

This is who the current Pats team reminds me of.

I would also like to think our team speed is better to combat Gronk, but he just runs over people. Tackling is key!

Their depth chart WR is not like Denver's at all, I would hope that could be a win for us. Who is the tougher TE match up,
Gronk or Julius Thomas?

hawk45

Reaction score
I think if SD would have just dinked and dunked but not destroyed us with Gates, that would have been okay. In that game though, Kam seemed to play at half-speed and I wanna say KJ didn't have his best outing either. I also remember Earl being slow (and off the field for parts of it).

I don't expect all of that to be the case vs NE. Which is good, because Gronk is still going to be a handful even in normal temps and with healthier safeties/LBs. I think Gronk may be the one guy who can survive a Kam hit without going fetal the rest of the game, hard as that is to imagine.

Gronkzilla

Reaction score
This is the most intriguing aspect of this game to me! Kam is an absolute beast and so is Gronk. So far, there is not a single defensive back that can cover Gronk 1 on 1 for 60 minutes and hold him in check. He is too fast, too strong, too big and has great sense for body leverage to pair with an awesome set of hands. As much as I respect Kam for being the top SS in the league, I am not sure the Seahawks will be able to contain him without bracketing. Most likely I expect them to bracket Gronk with KJ and Kam.

The problem that all teams run into when having to bracket Gronk is that the Patriots possession receivers gravitate to the vacuum that Gronk leaves behind. Edelman is one of the most underrated pass catchers in the NFL and will find his space, while Lafell and Amendola are nice complimentary pieces. It's the Gronk effect and the Patriots haven't had the luxury of a healthy Gronk in the playoffs... umm... ever!

To me this is the key of the game tho, be it Kam or KJ or Irvin or even if they put Sherman on him. How they can minimize Gronk directly correlates to if the Pats can move the ball at will or not.

This is honestly a dream matchup to face the best defense in the NFL with a world beater combo of Brady and Gronk. I will be glued to my set for sure. Get the popcorn ready! I'm sure there will be ups and downs (I mean, Brady does tend to lock on Gronk once in a while and force a pick that makes all of Boston cringe)

Cheers!