Resigning Lane and Kearse was probably a mistake.

knownone

Reaction score
It's hard to argue against the naysayers who were saying this all offseason...

Kearse is probably worth the contract he received but he's the 4th best receiver on this team and was mediocre at best this year.

Lane hasn't been the same since the Superbowl. He's shown flashes of what he used to be, but let's be real, he was barely an upgrade over Marcus fricken Burley for much of the year. That's fine if he was on an average slot corner salary but Seattle is paying Lane like a mid level #2 corner and quite frankly they probably would have been better off adding a veteran at 1/2 the price while retaining much of the same production.

Ultimately, it's hard to argue for those signings over O-line depth or possibly making a run to retain Bruce Irvin. The long-term ramifications could be even worse as both Lane and Kearse are pretty much guaranteed roster spots next year and If they don't step up the core of this team will slowly age themselves out of relevancy.

The honeymoon period is officially over for Pete and John, they've been pretty mediocre overall the last few years.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Kearse should not be the #2 receiver on the team.

As for Lane, I call it desperate signing. Yeah, he got paid like a #2 CB, but isn't a starter nor can be depended upon.

Optimus25

Reaction score
:roll:
raisethe3":2dpzyxjc said:
Kearse should not be the #2 receiver on the team.

As for Lane, I call it desperate signing. Yeah, he got paid like a #2 CB, but isn't a starter nor can be depended upon.

Exactly. He's actually been in position on several plays against him but he just can't force his will into making the play for us. But well said.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Kearse is garbage. He would not have been signed by any team, well maybe Cleveland. Then we pay him more than he deserves based on a couple plays and the fact RW and ADB like him. Was a mercy signing is how I saw it. Lane had to be done as their was no one out there to sign. In reflection its seems bad since Lane is better suited in the 3 hole as opposed to the #2 guy.

Seymour

Reaction score
There are many other teams out there that would kill to play mediocre and make the playoffs 2 years in a row. They have some work to do, but they are not that far off. Neither of those contracts keep us from getting better, and Kearse is the only one not pulling his own IMO

gonzhawk

Reaction score
time for Pete to be more like Belichick this offseason than like Holmgren who got to sentimental keeping guys-
I wanted both also, but they both are not at level they used to be-

OP
OP
K

knownone

Reaction score
Seymour":2stjuqr9 said:
There are many other teams out there that would kill to play mediocre and make the playoffs 2 years in a row. They have some work to do, but they are not that far off. Neither of those contracts keeps us from getting better, and Kearse is the only one not pulling his own IMO
Sure, I bet the Colts are saying the same thing about going 8-8 the last two years "do you realise Jaguars fans would kill to be 8-8?".
That's not ALWAYS COMPETE, that's not Pete Carroll, that's battered fan syndrome creeping back into the Seattle sports psyche. What's next? we lose in the wildcard and say "well, at least we made the playoffs". This is more than "some work to do" man. This is the first time in the Pete Caroll era that we've been blown out in the playoffs, and the first time we've lost by more than 10 points twice in a season since 2011. Perhaps it's time we start holding people accountable, you know, like most perennial SuperBowl favourites.

RussB

Reaction score
Both have been pretty bad all year. I cant even recall kearse doing anything much at all. He mostly just dropped passes. Lane has been getting torched as well. I was also a big lane supporter and was exited when they resigned him but man he just keeps getting burned.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20.

Kearse was signed because he was a known commodity. Half this board was wanting to cut kearse on favor of Kevin Smith or Kasen. Neither could beat out Kearse and they didn't even know what position McEvoy was going to play.

Lane was signed after having a couple of really goody years. Most thought that contract was actually good value. He's not bad, but not living up to what he's done in the past.

People have to realize the perspective is a lot different now than at the beginning of the year.

mrt144

Reaction score
I think coaching is a problem here - why is our defense so reliant on ET? Why doesn't it change without ET? What were our previous DCs and DB coaches doing with a guy like Lane that made him worth the resign?

flmmkrz

Reaction score
mrt144":1fmenwjr said:
I think coaching is a problem here - why is our defense so reliant on ET? Why doesn't it change without ET? What were our previous DCs and DB coaches doing with a guy like Lane that made him worth the resign?

That is a good question about Lane, Lane went from a strength to a weakness and something changed for that to happen. Are they using him differently, is he doing something different in form that could be corrected. Coaching on the defensive side needs to be addressed.