Resign Tyler Lockett??

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
It looks like 2023 will be Lockett's final year as a Seahawk unless they sign him to a new contract. Do they sign the soon to be 31 year old receiver (32 when his contract is up) to a new contract? Can they afford to after paying DK? Or do they let him walk after the season while picking up a young stud like Quentin Johnston in the upcoming draft? He's being compared to Julio Jones. A pairing with DK would give defenses nightmares. What say you?

**EDIT: Thank you Hawkstorian for correcting me on Tyler's contract details. I meant to say the Seahawks have a potential out in his contract after the 2023 season that would only incur a $14 million dead cap hit if they were to release him from his heavy back loaded contract. I feel the organization may move on if there is a significant decline in his play and they could get the same production from a much younger option for a fraction of the price.**

Last edited:

AgentDib

Reaction score
Lockett's value is complicated. His contract is backloaded and so it's a great deal this season, average next season and then it becomes questionable in 2024 and 2025.

He is very good at what he does, which is getting open and then securing the catch. His extremely good catch rate is even better than normal this season at 76.1% playing with Geno. It's a valuable role especially on third downs but I hesitate to include him in the top tier of receivers for a couple of reasons.

Lockett doesn't attack the football very well which means when he isn't wide open then the pass can be easily contested. Three of Geno's INTs this season have come when targeting Lockett, vs. only one when targeting Metcalf and none when targeting Goodwin. That doesn't show up in Tyler's standard stats but it does matter and it doesn't feel great throwing a 50/50 ball his way as a result.

Lockett also generates far less YAC than you would expect given how wide open he can get as he often favors going to the ground to secure the catch. In the same vein, he has just five broken tackles total over the last five seasons. A receiver like Tyreek Hill has the same catch rate this season with twice as many yards after the catch. That makes Hill much more of a threat to opposing defenses.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Well that's one (very negative) way to quantify Tyler Lockett's contribution to the Seahawks.

Here's my take. If TL went down with an injury today, he would be missed as much as any player on the team...and would very likely result in a 7 game losing streak.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
It looks like 2023 will be Lockett's final year as a Seahawk unless they sign him to a new contract. Do they sign the soon to be 31 year old receiver (32 when his contract is up) to a new contract? Can they afford to after paying DK? Or do they let him walk after the season while picking up a young stud like Quentin Johnston in the upcoming draft? He's being compared to Julio Jones. A pairing with DK would give defenses nightmares. What say you?

I vouched for Johnston in the draft board here. Johnston is a beast. If Seattle cannot get a bonafide star pass rusher with the Broncos pick, they can get another star at wide receiver cause Lockett is not going to play forever.

Two monster wideouts and Kenneth Walker?? Seattle’s offense could be difficult to contain especially with a built offensive line now and Geno throwing the ball on time!

I’m all for it!

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Well that's one (very negative) way to quantify Tyler Lockett's contribution to the Seahawks.

Here's my take. If TL went down with an injury today, he would be missed as much as any player on the team...and would very likely result in a 7 game losing streak.
A 7 game losing streak? That seems... unlikely.

But yes, he is a very valuable piece to our offense. He is the type of receiver every good passing offense needs and tends to go underappreciated.

That said, he had more value in Russ's offense than Geno's because he was Russ's security blanket that would bail him out when he went off-script.

So, Tyler isn't likely to command a contract like he did before but I would still like him re-signed for something a little more in line with his age and changed role.

Mizak

Reaction score
If Seahawks don’t sign him, he’ll go to the Packers.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
He's signed through 2025, so not sure where this is coming from.

As has been said, his contract is friendly enough next year.... becomes more expensive after that. I'd say wait and see for now.

If you want to view all the Seahawk contracts, the best place to do that is here:

OP
OP
Mistashoesta

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
He's signed through 2025, so not sure where this is coming from.

As has been said, his contract is friendly enough next year.... becomes more expensive after that. I'd say wait and see for now.

If you want to view all the Seahawk contracts, the best place to do that is here:

Sorry. I meant to say the Seahawks have a potential out in his contract after the 2023 season that would only incur a $14 million dead cap hit if they were to release him from his heavy back loaded contract. I feel the organization may move on if there is a significant decline in his play and they could get the same production from a much younger option for a fraction of the price.

Last edited:

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Sorry. I meant to say the Seahawks have a potential out in his contract after the 2023 season that would only incur a $14 million dead cap hit if they were to release him from his heavy back loaded contract. I feel the organization may move on if there is a significant decline in his play and they could get the same production from a much younger option for a fraction of the price.

Right --- I just think any decision is coming in the 2024 off-season.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
At this point, Lockett is basically a possesion receiver, without the physicality typical of the description. He's dependable, and good for accumulating lots of air yards in small chunks. He's not elite, but he's crafty enough to get open against all but the top tier corners. Good, dependable hands. The Shaun Alexander of wide receivers, he's focused on self-preservation.

He would be a valuable addition to a less disciplined offense, and probably should be traded in the off season. He would make a great security blanket for one of the more ad-lib QBs. Given his contract structure, teams shoukd be willing to part with some decent capital for him. They woukd have to to make it worthwhile for the Seahawks.

If the Broncos can trade their first for a couple of seconds, I would take a second round pick in 2023 and 2024 3rd rounder for him. Denver is probably the best place for him.

Green Bay would be a good destination as well.

Last edited:

Sun Tzu

Reaction score

This is an extreme overvaluation of Lockett. Lockett is above average but not elite. AgentDib's assessment is spot on.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
These suggestions to trade away or otherwise dump Tyler Lockett are just ludicrous.

He is our most dependable WR. Why on earth would you want to get rid of him?

It would be foolish...absolutely foolish!

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score

**EDIT: Thank you Hawkstorian for correcting me on Tyler's contract details. I meant to say the Seahawks have a potential out in his contract after the 2023 season that would only incur a $14 million dead cap hit if they were to release him from his heavy back loaded contract. I feel the organization may move on if there is a significant decline in his play and they could get the same production from a much younger option for a fraction of the price.**

I am a huge Lockett fan and I would love to resign him but……………..are we willing to take the cap hit for an aging receiver. This is a business decision. People used to Pat Billicheat on the back for letting players go before they hit that downhill slide. He would usually get something in trade to keep his talent pool loaded. Nothing more that I would love then to have him retire a Hawk but would he be willing to give us a discount? Can’t say I would blame him if he didn’t. Just a smart business decision for him.