REPORT: Darrell Bevell Fired

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And maybe we can stop with the Bubble Screens? Or better yet, actually get CREATIVE with the offense? This team rarely throws screen passes, while our opponents seem to do it often. Zero creativity from Bevell, and getting cute in the red zone. I won't miss this at all.
Maybe they can get a guy who actually calls plays to match the talent he is working with? Imagine that

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":4veqolpr said:
AF_BASS_MAN":4veqolpr said:
You mean we are going to have more than one play call in 2018?!?!?!

Wilson: “You mean you want me to do something other than scramble around in circles like a chicken with it’s head cut off until my receivers are able to get open on a broken play?”
If the passing game looks the same then you know Russ is the problem.

Dang I wasn’t going to go there, as I don’t think we are in anyway prepared as fans to comprehend that possibility.

So let’s just hope it was Bevell :)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Rob12":1nk8ml2y said:
Never “heaped praise on him.” I think he did some good things. And I said twice that it was a needed change. And people can say what they want about the last play of 49, but if you watch that play frame by frame, the TD was there. RW missed slightly on the throw and in a game of inches, that matters a lot.

Again - just so all understand - I think it’s best that he was let go. But some of the posts in this thread are ass and downright childish.

Agreed. Thanks for your contributions to the Super Bowl, Darrell.

However...it was time for a change. Wilson needs a top-flight OC to evolve in this league. He was never going to realize his full potential under Bevell.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
IMO, any new offensive coordinator is going to take a while to gel with Wilson. When Russ is your quarterback you can't just call some vanilla offensive game plan. You've got to have the right coordinator that can tweak his system for Wilson. They can't be stubborn and they need to let Russ do Russ when the game is close. IMO, we may even see some regression to start next season.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Wonder if Paul Allen demanded this or it was solely Pete?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Bevell was way too predictable, got way too cute in the red zone, and took 2 and a half years to figure out how to use Graham. Play calling was a joke compared to the players he had. He clearly did not know how to use Russ to his strengths quite often. And the fact that they rarely did crap in the 1st half of games on offense is unacceptable.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Or, a new offensive coordinator may know how best to design plays to mitigate pass rush, get our best players the ball, and keep defenses off-balance - instead of constantly accentuating our weaknesses.

Or, yeah, he may suck. Hard to know. I'm not necessarily expecting positive results right away, and that's going to be tough for people to accept.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I have no doubt that Bevell is a fine man, but this is a good and necessary move.

Consider how often we joked about not having to tune into a game until the second half because the offense wouldn't get off the ground until the 3rd quarter. The offense was so unreliable that you could rely on it. Zero continuity from year to year, the constant reliance on the defense to save them--which was clearly causing tensions in the locker room. And of course the three years it took to properly utilize Jimmy Graham, who was a known commodity coming over from New Orleans.

If you need anymore evidence, just look at his production without Marshawn Lynch. It's easy to look like a good coordinator when your RB rushes for 1200+ yards four years in a row. Much of it after contact. Both Lynch and Wilson made names for themselves under Bevell for making magic out of broken plays. In my view, that's Bevell's legacy here, broken plays.

And even despite all of that, even if you still think he's a good coordinator and blame the personnel or whatever, the bottom line is this: he's the captain of the offense. The buck stops with him. Fair or not, the captain goes down with the ship.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
True, gonna' take time. But I would love to see someone who actually adjusts in the 1st half, and now when we are down in the 2nd half.

original poster

Reaction score
Here's my thoughts -

Seattle obviously didn't want this leaking at 11.30pm at night.

My bet is lots of coaching changes are coming today and the Bevell one just slipped through the net.

Seymour

Reaction score
rossob":520a0enn said:
Fade":520a0enn said:
I'm just waking up to this news, and I feel nothing. The other shoe needs to drop. Then the party can begin.
Same here. Imo Cable deserves more blame for the past two seasons than Bevell. While Bevell seemed to be below average Cable was just downright horrible.
I am also waiting for Bevells replacement before I can truly enjoy this news, I don't think Sarkisian would be a lot different.

+ infinity.
Bevell is a good start, but this move alone does very little as any new coordinator has no shot with Cable muddling up the offense and protecting his QB at record piss poor levels.

Bring in a top level ocoordinator like Norv Turner or even Mike Shula and let them bring in their own line coach. If not, we will be watching another puppet show like Pete and Bevell were.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Any reference to a member of .Net without context to a post they have made in this thread will be removed and that poster will receive a ban.

Also... sweet. No more Bevell.

mrt144

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1z28hyjf said:
AF_BASS_MAN":1z28hyjf said:
You mean we are going to have more than one play call in 2018?!?!?!

Wilson: “You mean you want me to do something other than scramble around in circles like a chicken with it’s head cut off until my receivers are able to get open on a broken play?”
If the passing game looks the same then you know Russ is the problem.

Confidence interval?

Pycnotic

Reaction score
been waiting for this for 3 years, as ice cube put “today was a good day”

HoldYourHawk

Reaction score
Oddly I don't feel strongly about Bevell being let go today as his game plans were typically average at best. I still place a lot of the offensive blame on Cable and his Oline coaching/draft choices. Guess time will tell.