Remaining Veteran Free Agents post-draft

AgentDib

Reaction score
We didn't come away with DL or ILB depth in the draft, so we may be thinking about adding some veterans. Pete has always liked vets along the DL. Here's some interesting FA's that are still available and their ages:

DT Danny Shelton 28
DT Sheldon Richardson 31
DT Larry Ogunjobi 28
DT Eddie Goldman 28
DT Star Lotulelei 32
DT Brandon Williams 33
DT Linval Joseph 33

DE DeMarcus Walker 27
DE Akiem Hicks 32
DE Tyler Lancaster 27
DE Carl Nassib 29
DE Jadeveon Clowney 29

ILB Anthony Hitchens 29
ILB Kwon Alexander 27
ILB Dont'a Hightower 32
ILB Nick Kwiatkoski 28
ILB Kyle Van Noy 31
ILB Joe Schobert 28

One factor to consider is that compensatory picks are still unsettled. We're currently in the red (-1) having offset the loss of two UFAs (Reed, Everett) with three signed UFAs (Nwosu, Bythe, QJeff). We still have a few UFAs sitting out there, however, including Duane Brown, Rasheem Green, Brandon Shell, Carlos Dunlap and Benson Mayowa. In previous years there has been a deadline set shortly after the draft after which signings do not count, but I haven't seen anything about that this season.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Shelton and Hicks would be perfect for their new 34 system. Don't think Shelton is much of an upgrade over Woods or Mone.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
I'd really like to see Rasheem Green brought back on a 1-year "prove it" deal, assuming he still fits in the new 3-4/4-3 scheme somehow. The guy just always hustles and finds a way to be around the ball. Maybe he'll never be more than a solid rotational/situational player, and the lack of interest in him in FA may be indicative of that, but I'll happily take him back for another year or two.

massari

Reaction score
They really need to be saving cap money to rollover, and give young players a chance to develop. Adding vets also hurts the chance of getting a top draft pick next draft.

OP
OP
AgentDib

AgentDib

Reaction score
I agree that it doesn't make sense in a world in which we are tanking 2022 for a top draft pick. Is that the world we live in though under Pete Carroll? Your second statement is exactly why he's going to want to add veterans and claw out as many wins this year as possible.

In 2010 he brought in 37 year old Lawyer Milloy and 34 year old Brandon Stokley while we were 'rebuilding', and stacked the DL depth chart with veterans like Craig Terrill, Junior Siavii, and Colin Cole. We just passed up a lot of good DL prospects to go in other directions, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are considering signing a couple of the guys I listed.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Hicks.. dude had 18 sacks for the bears last year.

Own The West

Reaction score

Was looking over our depth chart and I don't see anyone that wouldn't just get in the way of the development of our new guys. I'd rather see Mafe than Clowney -- Clowney gets presssures, not sacks. Maybe Hicks over Jefferson?

OP
OP
AgentDib

AgentDib

Reaction score
It sounds like Hicks is definitely parting ways with the Bears. The Athletic had an interesting excerpt about Hicks and some internal strife with his DL coach this off-season.

According to a source, Hicks had a dispute with defensive line coach Chris Rumph during and after the game against the Giants at Soldier Field. It was characterized as “heated and ugly.” Coaches, teammates and staff members witnessed the exchange. Hicks’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, did not return an email request for comment. A Bears spokesman confirmed Hicks’ ankle injury.

Not only did Hicks not practice last week, but he also wasn’t at Halas Hall. And he didn’t travel with the team to Minneapolis for Sunday’s season finale against the Vikings, a 31-17 loss.

It’s been an interesting and frustrating season for Hicks. The 32-year-old is in the final year of his contract, and he hoped to get an extension before the season. His agents visited training camp at Halas Hall multiple times. A new deal never came, though, only more injuries once the real games began.