Really impressed by this O Line

seabowl

Reaction score
Yes it’s preseason but I am encouraged by what I see from the OL. Both rookie tackles have tons of talent to be 10 year pros and the interior OL held up well. RBs running through good sized holes is what Pete wants.

FYI I saw someone on pregame for NFL Network call our rookie RT Abe Lucas “The Undertaker” for the way he slams DL down. Love the name.

Scout

Reaction score
Homer had some big holes to run through. If it wasn't for two drive killing penalties it would have changed the complexion of the game in the first half.

Cross stood his ground even when he was beat and scrappy which is very encouraging. And Lucas is being raved about from a lot of people for being a nasty finisher as a blocker. This offensive line is going to move the LOS which will make it easy to have a running attack that is formidable.

GemCity

Reaction score
I think our O-line is going to develop into one of the best ones we’ve had within a few years.
Would love for them to grab another 3rd round o-lineman next year as well!

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
I love 'The Undertaker' nickname and hope that it catches on.

Last edited:

hugecanoli

Reaction score
This could be the bright spot of our season. Usually starting two rooks on the line would be scary, but I’m looking forward to it. Give them a year of growing pains and continuity, and we could be lined up very nicely if the FO makes a good pick in 23.

sutz

Reaction score
I think our O-line is going to develop into one of the best ones we’ve had within a few years.
Would love for them to grab another 3rd round o-lineman next year as well!
I'm pretty sure they pick OL every year. Maybe not that high, but that often means less with OL than with skill positions. Good ones fall farther than other positions.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
Both of our bookend tackles are oozing talent and grit. They're going to be a joy to watch for years to come.

But more than that, I've been trying to take every opportunity I find to highlight and call out new OLine coach Andy Dickerson. I think the Hawks have truly found a gem in that dude. I realize my explicit bias as former lineman causes me to be more excited by this stuff than most; but that dude has installed a very tricky to assimilate zone blocking scheme efficiently and flawlessly.

He has their split spacing, pace, and lateral movement absolutely dialed in on the outside zone runs. Leaving multiple, clean cutback lanes. And even with some of the more power run block principles, the counters that Pete loves, Dickerson has his guys misdirecting then folding the box defenders in on themselves. He's also really coached some "nasty" into Abe Lucas. He went from one of the most uninterested looking run blockers in college, to a damn pancake chef in a few months.

This team is developing and retooling this year. There will be growing pains. It won't be the same on-field product we're all used to. However I do feel like this team is trending towards becoming the bully in the trenches again. The staff really appears to be laying a strong foundation down.

toffee

Reaction score
OL Penalties disrupted a few plays, Geno and Homer would look real good otherwise. BUT, it's a new line with new coach and couple if rookies, so that happens and will continue to happen until guys get used to dudes next to him.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Yes it’s preseason but I am encouraged by what I see from the OL. Both rookie tackles have tons of talent to be 10 year pros and the interior OL held up well. RBs running through good sized holes is what Pete wants.

FYI I saw someone on pregame for NFL Network call our rookie RT Abe Lucas “The Undertaker” for the way he slams DL down. Love the name.
I'm really wanting to watch Penny run behind this line. I think It's going to be explosive to say the least. They get penny going good, and this O will be tough! With Lockett and Metcalf, we haven't seen these guys play together this year and I'm just feeling like this could be explosive. A lot of people are down because of the QB situation but I think it's going to be just fine... watch penny run for 300 yards vs Denver and Wilson getting sacked 6 times with 2 picks... this is exactly what I'm looking for.

GemCity

Reaction score
Definitely enjoying the guys up front. If we can grab a center..,Eskridge (spilt milk).

This can be the perfect year for them to grow.

Tamerlane

Reaction score
Of course it's preseason so metrics like the one below are all but meaningless, but the signs are pointing in the right direction for the offensive line at least. Cross and Lucas look to be great picks and Blythe a pretty good signing. There is some depth as well - Haynes for example is putting on some good tape.

Not to leave things on a negative note, but the biggest addition (as far as pass protection goes) was always going to be the 'addition by subtraction' of parting ways with a QB who held the ball at league high rates and had notoriously poor pocket awareness.

Test

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. It's real easy to just say that a team played well against backups etc. They look good all pre-season. Teams will likely stack the box against a good Hawks running game. The bigger question is: Will the Hawks adjust? And CAN they with Geno or Lock. We shall see..........

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Both of our bookend tackles are oozing talent and grit. They're going to be a joy to watch for years to come.

But more than that, I've been trying to take every opportunity I find to highlight and call out new OLine coach Andy Dickerson. I think the Hawks have truly found a gem in that dude. I realize my explicit bias as former lineman causes me to be more excited by this stuff than most; but that dude has installed a very tricky to assimilate zone blocking scheme efficiently and flawlessly.

He has their split spacing, pace, and lateral movement absolutely dialed in on the outside zone runs. Leaving multiple, clean cutback lanes. And even with some of the more power run block principles, the counters that Pete loves, Dickerson has his guys misdirecting then folding the box defenders in on themselves. He's also really coached some "nasty" into Abe Lucas. He went from one of the most uninterested looking run blockers in college, to a damn pancake chef in a few months.

This team is developing and retooling this year. There will be growing pains. It won't be the same on-field product we're all used to. However I do feel like this team is trending towards becoming the bully in the trenches again. The staff really appears to be laying a strong foundation down.

Former NFL ineman Geoff Schwartz calls Charles Cross play "elite" and breaks down a blocking play in the game with Dallas. I thought this was interesting and explains the smaller tactics I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

(Scroll to the video in middle of page)

Smellyman

Reaction score

Having a smart center who has been in this system and can bark out assignments clearly can mean a lot too. Blythe is probably a huge upgrade in that regard.

GemCity

Reaction score
I think we’re in for a bright future up front. Get Walker healed up and hopefully Penny keeps the form he had during that monster sequence of games he had at the end and we’re looking good on that front’

Vesuve

Reaction score
After 2 games Cross and Lucas have both graded out higher according to PFF than Neal and Ikem who were the top 2 lineman picked in the draft
Yes, I'm aware and this is a very good thing.

My post was regarding Gabe Jackson.