Re: KJ Wright Signs 4 year extension UPDATED WITH BREAKDOWN

cdallan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3lw6d1bv said:
TwistedHusky":3lw6d1bv said:
Not saying this guy is going to be Kam but remember when they signed Kam for that big deal?

There were a lot of upset people that felt it would hurt the shot at keeping Earl and Sherman.

A lot of people pointed out all the problems with Kam and how he was really the least important member of the LOB.

We know that to be untrue now. Kam turned out to be VERY important.

So while I won't say because the FO was right about that one it automatically means they are right now. But it does give them a little bit of a free pass. A lot of people were upset about that Kam extension too. Seems it worked out.

As long as they keep Bobby and Wilson, they should get whatever free passes they need.
Very true.

Despite what I say above, I was remembering feeling a little like this at Kam's extension. So I'm not going to go overboard - just a little surprised.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Basis4day":8y6h86n1 said:
Just to make it clear, the 27 Million is likely the TOTAL amount assuming he hits all incentives and escalators.

Wait for the numbers everyone.

This. There's absolutely no point in trying to judge this contract before we see how it's structured. So many contracts sound steep and then look team-friendly once the terms are released.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
Scottemojo":q7jyg1ov said:
Hawkfan77":q7jyg1ov said:
pehawk":q7jyg1ov said:
cdallan":q7jyg1ov said:
$27m over 4 years is double what I'd want to pay for KJ. Unless the cap rising means we can fit this in, I'm not sure I like it.

Looks like Malcolm Smith is leaving at the end of his contract then. We have KJ at WLB and KPL on the bench...

Yeah, it's a head-scratcher.

Maybe this is more about rewarding their "guys" over pragmatism.
How is Smith not their "guy"?

Some real negativity about something that is pretty sweet for the team. If anything KJ has been an underrated force on this defense. I was hoping for a KJ extension and was worried he would be leaving, I'm very happy about this move.

Congrats KJ!
He does deserve congrats.

Do a simple exercise for me, though. Who on the defense do you think ranks ahead of Wright in importance?

For me, Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor, Bennett, Mebane, Avril, Wagner, and Irvin (who is rapidly becoming a force) all rank ahead of Wright in importance. You say under rated, maybe one of those players has less impact than Wright.

The FO would agree which is why Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor and Bennett got new deals when they were eligible. Wagner can't be signed yet even if they wanted to and still has a year on his contract. Mebane has another year too and will be 30 when he comes due. Avril very likely wants to test free agency. Irvin was still very much a .net whipping boy early this season.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Basis4day":38d13f6v said:
Just to make it clear, the 27 Million is likely the TOTAL amount assuming he hits all incentives and escalators.

Wait for the numbers everyone.
This.
Like MidweatHawker said, it's all about the guaranteed money and the structure. If it's 27 guaranteed, that's quite a bit. But I'm guessing that won't be the case.

MidwestHawker":38d13f6v said:
So many contracts sound steep and then look team-friendly once the terms are released.
Like Kraeperdink's.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3v22jhsq said:
Hawkfan77":3v22jhsq said:
pehawk":3v22jhsq said:
cdallan":3v22jhsq said:
$27m over 4 years is double what I'd want to pay for KJ. Unless the cap rising means we can fit this in, I'm not sure I like it.

Looks like Malcolm Smith is leaving at the end of his contract then. We have KJ at WLB and KPL on the bench...

Yeah, it's a head-scratcher.

Maybe this is more about rewarding their "guys" over pragmatism.
How is Smith not their "guy"?

Some real negativity about something that is pretty sweet for the team. If anything KJ has been an underrated force on this defense. I was hoping for a KJ extension and was worried he would be leaving, I'm very happy about this move.

Congrats KJ!
He does deserve congrats.

Do a simple exercise for me, though. Who on the defense do you think ranks ahead of Wright in importance?

For me, Thomas, Sherman, Chancellor, Bennett, Mebane, Avril, Wagner, and Irvin (who is rapidly becoming a force) all rank ahead of Wright in importance. You say under rated, maybe one of those players has less impact than Wright.
All of those guys (aside from Wagner and Irvin and Avril are already signed long term and Wagner will soon be in the off season. Irvin is a question mark for me as to if I think he will re-signed, I would love to see him stay here though).

I think they have identified the core of this team and have numbers they believe will work to keep that core together. Do I think Avril has had a high impact on the defense this year? Yep. Do I think they will re-sign him? Nope, because I don't believe he's part of that identified core.

I don't see the 27 million on the surface as that big of a deal. I mean a ton thought we overpaid for Harvin and that having Harvin under contract would force us to not keep some important guys here, and we all know how that turned out. This is the NFL and contracts (aside from the guaranteed which I haven't seen yet) are pretty much all bloated and can be worked around. The FO knows the numbers and I trust that they will work everything out. For all we know it's heavily backloaded and Wright will be gone in 2 years time before his cap number starts to hurt.

For me it's about keeping these guys together and the cap will work itself out (especially with how much it will keep increasing the next few years).

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2padwnwe said:
Not saying this guy is going to be Kam but remember when they signed Kam for that big deal?

There were a lot of upset people that felt it would hurt the shot at keeping Earl and Sherman.

A lot of people pointed out all the problems with Kam and how he was really the least important member of the LOB.

We know that to be untrue now. Kam turned out to be VERY important.

So while I won't say because the FO was right about that one it automatically means they are right now. But it does give them a little bit of a free pass. A lot of people were upset about that Kam extension too. Seems it worked out.

As long as they keep Bobby and Wilson, they should get whatever free passes they need.
I was just thinking about this, I agree completely. I remember seeing plenty of threads on the draft forum about finding out next big SS to take Kam's place

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Very true, Vols, I just know we can't keep them all, and Irvin and Wags will be free to negotiate very soon. Irvin is likely to have his 5th year option taken by the Hawks. Now I think Avril walks, because that is a lot of cash to lock up in the defense without getting lopsided.

OP
OP
Basis4day

Basis4day

Reaction score
King Dog":3tz09k1p said:
6.5 for KJ Wright? :shock:

I like the guy but....

27 Million is not.... just read my previous posts.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I think it's of utmost importance to keep K Jay and Silent Bobby together. Sure they're good on their own, but together? They're great.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Ugh. If the total is really $27-$28 mill then I'm truly torn. I think KJ's an awesome OLB and when he's in his natural alignment (NOT the mike). He's a solid contributor, maybe top 5 as a 4-3 OLB. I just don't know how many people we can pay at tops in their position and not end up always playing draft picks at other positions.

Honestly, I thought we were grooming KPL to take over and BWagz was getting paid.

Weird.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
KPL has looked good.... in the what 4 games he played before being LOST for the season.

Again give a little credit to a guy thats put in the work, stayed healthy. helped win you a super bowl.

Also the poster that said he'd rather 4 yrs 20 mill..... thats not the market rate. If he hit the market he would of gotten bigger then we gave him. just the way the league is. Making money hand over fist. the cap is climbing again.

Largent80

Reaction score
Of all our LB's Wright has been the worst and in a tie with Smith for the least impactful player at LB on the team.

Last year he played way better, but I have been watching him very close since spying on his dreadful play in San Diego and to me, he was a goner. That is why I'm not a GM, but I AM a fan that watches very close, and I hope he earns that money going forward.

pehawk

Reaction score
High fives to Hawksfan77 and Twisted, good shit. Appreciated.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
my last post on the topic. to those that dont like the deal, thats fair your welcome to your on opinion. Ill just say I trust JS and pc.........

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":15c3knaz said:
I think it's of utmost importance to keep K Jay and Silent Bobby together. Sure they're good on their own, but together? They're great.

I imagined you saying that and leaping upward like Tony the Tiger.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3rtvzu1a said:
my last post on the topic. to those that dont like the deal, thats fair your welcome to your on opinion. Ill just say I trust JS and pc.........
percy-harvin.jpg