Rapoport: Seahawks Claimed Josh Gordon!

PackerNation

Reaction score
Uncle Si":x18rscot said:
How is he a locker room cancer? Never heard that. Do you have an example?

Dealing drugs, doing drugs, taking other players out to do drugs, former gang member, attitude and mental health issues and a history of felonies stemming from credit card fraud to drugs.

Admitted to taking bong hits and whisky shots before and during NFL games.

I see someone like this as a danger to a locker room and to the coaches trying to get others ready for games. IMO, he is a cancer.

I fully understand if you disagree or view this as just a "can't lay off the sauce" type of issue.

Mick063

Reaction score
PackerNation":3d6r9570 said:
Uncle Si":3d6r9570 said:

Dealing drugs, doing drugs, taking other players out to do drugs, former gang member, attitude and mental health issues and a history of felonies stemming from credit card fraud to drugs.

I see someone like this as a danger to a locker room and to the coaches trying to get others ready for games. IMO, he is a cancer.

I fully understand if you disagree or view this as just a "can't lay off the sauce" type of issue.

Read "Out of Their League" by Dave Meggyesy. There is, and always has been, a side to the NFL that has not been readily transparent.

I'm a fan of the Seahawks. If the Seahawk administration and coaching staff believe that Gordon's upside is worth the risk, than so do I. They want to give him a final chance, so give him the final chance.

toffee

Reaction score

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
As all 31 other teams passed on him, he knows this is his last option.

Look at Darren Waller in Oakland. Longtime SA problems, got sober, balling out for them.

IME, I hope Gordon does AA, maybe internally. He can't be the first Hawk or even the only current Hawk dealing with SA (and AA regularly deals with other SA). Like they say, it only takes three people and a pot of coffee to have a meeting. They probably already exist.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2vk7jriv said:
He's a detractor, he has no "Example's", & like the REST OF US IN HERE, he's sharing a NON-EXPERT ..Opinion.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Mick063":3mi3da6n said:
PackerNation":3mi3da6n said:
Uncle Si":3mi3da6n said:

Read "Out of Their League" by Dave Meggyesy. There is, and always has been, a side to the NFL that has not been readily transparent.

I'm a fan of the Seahawks. If the Seahawk administration and coaching staff believe that Gordon's upside is worth the risk, than so do I. They want to give him a final chance, so give him the final chance.

Great book. Read it a long time ago. I honestly wish they would legalize pot in the NFL. I think Josh Gordon is a little outside the realm of a "casual pot head" though. The front office in Seattle thought he was worthy of a roster spot. I think he barely lasts the season. Either way, I wish him well. The man has talent, no doubt about that.

Aside from football, Gordon is doomed and will never be rid of the drugs, not ever. It's sad to see so much talent wasted.

chris98251

Reaction score
We won't know anything for about another week, he is a half season rental so I would expect good behavior for the most part this season and then it's a matter of if we want him back.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of bringing in a player with his kind of history . He's had chance after chance to many potential pitfalls here they should have left him where he was. We'll see how it plays out hopefully he keeps his head down and just does what's asked of him if he does that then no harm done and maybe he can be productive.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
PackerNation":17h8t8dk said:
Mick063":17h8t8dk said:
PackerNation":17h8t8dk said:
Uncle Si":17h8t8dk said:

Great book. Read it a long time ago. I honestly wish they would legalize pot in the NFL. I think Josh Gordon is a little outside the realm of a "casual pot head" though. The front office in Seattle thought he was worthy of a roster spot. I think he barely lasts the season. Either way, I wish him well. The man has talent, no doubt about that.

Aside from football, Gordon is doomed and will never be rid of the drugs, not ever. It's sad to see so much talent wasted.

Saying he'll never be rid of the drugs, yet "wishing him well" doesn't sound genuine. And tells me you haven't done much research, or are knowledgeable about addicts who have overcome this in general.

Bringing up his teenage troubles..such as being connected with gangs, etc., makes you sound like an American living in their own town/world with zero education about other communities and what they experience.

I've lived in a lot of different communities, and I've seen kids as young as 10 get drawn into gangs, local authorities who give up on the community, and people too afraid to stand up to the local gangs running their neighborhood. I read Josh Gordon's story, and I immediately thought of those kids doomed from the start.

Josh Gordon does fall outside of the realm of casual pot head. So did Calvin Johnson. So do a lot of NFL players. Perception is reality. Some people smoke weed as much as others drink alcohol. You can argue Jim Irsay is a team cancer given his issues

Either way, saying he's a cancer and a danger to the locker room tells me you're extremely out of touch. Many players in the NFL have grown up in similar communities and know a "Josh Gordon." They have friends, family members, etc. who have gone through similar struggles. The last thing they're going to do is see Gordon as a cancer because of poor teenage choices. There are arguably worse threats to the locker room in the league.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
The denial in here is a bit unreal IMO. I can guarantee that Gordon will flame out here. I give it two games, maybe three before he is released.

Hate to say this, but the Niner fans here are right. High risk, low reward. It's a big gamble. Resources that could have been spent developing guys now will be spent on Gordon.

Don't like this move. But, I'm not the HC or GM, so what do I know?

HawkStrong

Reaction score
LastRideOut":246jkau0 said:
The denial in here is a bit unreal IMO. I can guarantee that Gordon will flame out here. I give it two games, maybe three before he is released.

Hate to say this, but the Niner fans here are right. High risk, low reward. It's a big gamble. Resources that could have been spent developing guys now will be spent on Gordon.

How is the risk high?

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkStrong":123fvmwc said:
LastRideOut":123fvmwc said:

How is the risk high?

Driving the price of his drug of choice higher ?

He is High so he is a Risk?

My ex was a addict and it took 7 stints in rehab and a lot of damage in her life for her to finally kick it. It can be done, they have to have the want and get the enablers out of their life.

xray

Reaction score
Gordon's problem more than anything is lack of self discipline . Belichick demands discipline from his players or they are shown the door . Carroll is not known to be a tough task master ; in fact just the opposite . Gordon can probably get away with a lot in Seattle . Maybe why he was so excited to go there .

Uncle Si

Reaction score
LastRideOut":vkccc173 said:

How is it high risk?

What resources, what guys?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
xray":2s5s1twr said:
Gordon's problem more than anything is lack of self discipline . Belichick demands discipline from his players or they are shown the door . Carroll is not known to be a tough task master ; in fact just the opposite . Gordon can probably get away with a lot in Seattle . Maybe why he was so excited to go there .
Wouldn't be a day on these boards without another slam of Pete Carroll by you