Raiders planning to suspend The Toxicity known as Brown

kobebryant

Reaction score
Sad. The man has been in a continuous spiral since the head shot from Burfict. Nobody with all of their faculties would be actively derailing their career to this extent.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
kobebryant":18kpddjs said:
Sad. The man has been in a continuous spiral since the head shot from Burfict. Nobody with all of their faculties would be actively derailing their career to this extent.

Yep. His level of impulsiveness has got less fortunate people KILLED. I wish he had someone who he trusted that could pull on his jacket and get him to a self-audit. Sadly that ship has long left the harbor.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
poly1274":f3vrollc said:
Sgt. Largent":f3vrollc said:
This is why you don't give massive contracts or extensions to Divas and locker room cancers, it gives them carte blanche to be jackasses because they got their guaranteed money.............so now they have ZERO reason to behave.

Sad, cause Brown's one of the most gifted and exciting players in the league to watch.

His contract is different. If they cut him now is only 1 mill salary for the raiders.

Not sure where you read this, but if the Raiders cut Brown they still owe him his 30M guaranteed over the next two seasons.

From NBC Sports

If Brown continues to stay away from camp over a helmet issue that isn't going to go his way, the Raiders obviously could cut him. They would owe him the $30 million in guaranteed money over the next two years, that cost would be reduced based on how much Brown signs with his next team for.

Now if he stays away? Then they can put him on the inactive list and not have to pay him............UNTIL he comes back, then his salary resumes.

Either way, the Raiders are screwed, they gave him 30M guaranteed. Brown's insane, but he's not a dummy, he's going to be at the facility bright and early as soon as his agent tells him all this.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3onhp9tn said:
poly1274":3onhp9tn said:
Sgt. Largent":3onhp9tn said:
This is why you don't give massive contracts or extensions to Divas and locker room cancers, it gives them carte blanche to be jackasses because they got their guaranteed money.............so now they have ZERO reason to behave.

Sad, cause Brown's one of the most gifted and exciting players in the league to watch.

His contract is different. If they cut him now is only 1 mill salary for the raiders.

Not sure where you read this, but if the Raiders cut Brown they still owe him his 30M guaranteed over the next two seasons.

From NBC Sports

If Brown continues to stay away from camp over a helmet issue that isn't going to go his way, the Raiders obviously could cut him. They would owe him the $30 million in guaranteed money over the next two years, that cost would be reduced based on how much Brown signs with his next team for.

Now if he stays away? Then they can put him on the inactive list and not have to pay him............UNTIL he comes back, then his salary resumes.

Either way, the Raiders are screwed, they gave him 30M guaranteed. Brown's insane, but he's not a dummy, he's going to be at the facility bright and early as soon as his agent tells him all this.

I just posted this like 4 posts before yours.

Chapow":3onhp9tn said:
Raiders could void Antonio Brown's contract if they suspend receiver

According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, Brown still is owed $29.125 million in guaranteed money, which is slated to be given out in salary over the next two seasons. But a suspension likely would void the guarantees, giving the Raiders the option to cut the talented receiver without owing him another dime should he continue to be a thorn in their behind.

If the Raiders suspend Brown for Week 1, that also gives them the option to cut ties with him at any point without having to pay him anything under the Termination Pay provision which allows veterans to collect the remainder of his salary if he is on the active roster Week 1

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raide ... d-receiver

Marvin49

Reaction score
Let me reiterate....

THANK GOD the Niners passed on that one.

I doubt he ever plays a down as a Raider and maybe for anyone.

....and I wonder if that new contract he signed with the helmet manufacturer includes a clause that he has to play in games....

chris98251

Reaction score
We had our recent Diva moment with Harvin, Brown and OBJ are both guys that will stir the pot on teams and are very high to extreme maintenance.

Chucky won't put up with this shit, helmet and injury one thing, this was personal and against the staff. Worse the GM who controls the contracts etc.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":3jeil1by said:
Sgt. Largent":3jeil1by said:
poly1274":3jeil1by said:
Sgt. Largent":3jeil1by said:

From NBC Sports

I just posted this like 4 posts before yours.

Chapow":3jeil1by said:
Raiders could void Antonio Brown's contract if they suspend receiver

According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, Brown still is owed $29.125 million in guaranteed money, which is slated to be given out in salary over the next two seasons. But a suspension likely would void the guarantees, giving the Raiders the option to cut the talented receiver without owing him another dime should he continue to be a thorn in their behind.

If the Raiders suspend Brown for Week 1, that also gives them the option to cut ties with him at any point without having to pay him anything under the Termination Pay provision which allows veterans to collect the remainder of his salary if he is on the active roster Week 1

What this tells us is that there's a lot of speculation on how the language in Brown's new contract could be interpreted..........and maybe the Raider's could void Brown's contract, but I HIGHLY doubt it'd hold up if this went all the way to the league office and/or arbitrator once the player's union gets involved.

Because he missed team meetings and practices and argued with his GM? Highly doubtful that triggers a voidable contract for the guaranteed money portion.

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3yzyh3pq said:
What this tells us is that there's a lot of speculation on how the language in Brown's new contract could be interpreted..........and maybe the Raider's could void Brown's contract, but I HIGHLY doubt it'd hold up if this went all the way to the league office and/or arbitrator once the player's union gets involved.

Because he missed team meetings and practices and argued with his GM? Highly doubtful that triggers a voidable contract for the guaranteed money portion.

I don't think any of those things alone would void his "guaranteed" money portion of his contract, but it sounds like getting suspended for conduct detrimental to the team could.

Whether or not the Raiders actually levy the punishment remains to be seen, but what they have done is lay the groundwork to suspend Brown for conduct detrimental to the team, which they easily could prove and that gives them the option to void the remaining guaranteed money in Brown's contract.

There is also this.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... uarantees/

Assuming that a suspension would void the guarantees, the Raiders would be able to cut Brown at any point and owe him nothing further. They could even do it now, turning the Brown experiment into a $1 million mistake — along with the third-round and fifth-round pick they surrendered to the Steelers acquire him.

If they suspend him without pay for Week One, they also could do it at any time during the 2019 season and avoid owing him anything further under the Termination Pay provision of the labor deal, since a player with four or more years of service can collect the remainder of his salary upon being released only if he’s on the Week One active roster.

And yes. I see the word "assuming" there, but I have to wonder why so many sources are making this assumption if it's not at least a somewhat reasonable assumption to make.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":38hryqay said:
And yes. I see the word "assuming" there, but I have to wonder why so many sources are making this assumption if it's not at least a somewhat reasonable assumption to make.

Because the NFL "media" is now made up of gopher suck ups that float out anything and everything depending on which team and agent calls them immediately after stuff like this happens to spin the story in their favorable public perception.

I have no idea if the Raider's can suspend Brown and that voids his contract.........but it sure seems like that'd be a very hard thing to get through the league office once the player's association gets involved.

I mean, that's what "guaranteed" means in CBA, and that's very hard to void. It'd set a precedent that the player's association would probably strike over. It's that serious.

Chapow

Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agen ... -contract/

It is standard for NFL contracts to contain language voiding salary guarantees for a laundry list of reasons. The conditions vary depending on team convention, the attention the agent pays to the language and his/her leverage in negotiations.

Brown's contract isn't any different than anybody else's. The default language in Brown's contract that controls the voiding of his guarantee reads as follows:

"Notwithstanding this Skill, Injury and Cap Guarantee, Player shall report to Club, practice with Club, play with Club, and honor all terms of the Contract, including all addenda thereto. If at any time Player does not report to Club; does not practice or play with Club; leaves Club without prior written approval (including, but not limited to retirement); does not honor any terms of the Contract (including any addenda thereto); is suspended by the NFL or Club for conduct detrimental, violation of the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy, violation of the NFL Policy on Substances of Abuse, or violation of the NFL Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances; violates any other agreements between Club and Player; or is injured as a result of a breach of Paragraph 3 of the Contract or as a result of participation in hazardous activities which involve a significant risk of personal injury and are non-football in nature (including but not limited to skydiving, hang gliding, mountain climbing, auto racing, motorcycling, scuba diving, skiing, and any other sports) then Player shall be in default ("Default") and the Skill, Injury and Cap Guarantee shall be null and void and Player shall be only eligible to earn his remaining stated Paragraph 5 salary on a weekly, non-guaranteed basis if Player is on Club's roster for the 2019 League Year and meets all ordinary criteria for earning Paragraph 5 Salary, subject to any applicable fines."

That doesn't sound very ambiguous to me, and it makes complete sense that there would be language in the contract that would void "guaranteed" money in certain circumstances.

James in PA

Reaction score
I could very well seeing him landing in New England. Wouldn’t surprise me at all. He’d probably be somewhat behaved there too. Nobody has bigger balls than Pete & John, but NO WAY will they kick the tires with this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
If not for social media this guy would not have got the notoriety he has, he has used it in a way that basically has destroyed his credibility. He is a wonderful talent and a hard worker, but he adds a bus of baggage every time he gets on a platform on social media.

I read where he has no stopped following the Raiders and Carr, that's not a good sign for both he and the Raiders, it tells us he has a bigger issue going on with them in my mind whether warranted or not.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Jase":1bkezvud said:
"GET OFF ME!" he says to Antonio Brown

Audible chortle. 10/10. Will revisit.

Well done. Oh. Well done.

Jase

Reaction score
nanomoz":3b5lv1o2 said:
Jase":3b5lv1o2 said:

Thanks. I was starting to think no one got it :2thumbs:

HawkSince87

Reaction score
Jase":2phlup2e said:
nanomoz":2phlup2e said:
Jase":2phlup2e said:

I don’t get it...? I know the reference of the beast mode run, but what’s Antonio Brown have to do with it?

HawkStrong

Reaction score
HawkSince87":2u984ehb said:
Jase":2u984ehb said:
nanomoz":2u984ehb said:
Jase":2u984ehb said:

I don’t get it...? I know the reference of the beast mode run, but what’s Antonio Brown have to do with it?

Mayock was the announcer who said "Get off me...' Now the Raiders GM.

HawkSince87

Reaction score
HawkStrong":hqn3q9pa said:
HawkSince87":hqn3q9pa said:
Jase":hqn3q9pa said:
nanomoz":hqn3q9pa said:

Mayock was the announcer who said "Get off me...' Now the Raiders GM.

Ahhh, that’s pretty low-key funny then. I didn’t know it was Mayock that made the Beast Mode call.

mikeak

Reaction score
You can argue all you want but if you read the fine letter sent to AB and posted by AB online the Raiders make this case as well. They state in there that other incidents will be seen as BREACH OF CONTRACT. They would not do so without some language to lean on. As noted this is standard.

His behavior this off-season and doing it publicaly will prove their point

Vesuve

Reaction score
mikeak":2orwcfxz said:
You can argue all you want but if you read the fine letter sent to AB and posted by AB online the Raiders make this case as well. They state in there that other incidents will be seen as BREACH OF CONTRACT. They would not do so without some language to lean on. As noted this is standard.

His behavior this off-season and doing it publicaly will prove their point

Yes, and the contract is tied to behavior and attendance of team things.

I would not be surprised if they cut him. They would owe him nothing.