Question about the mood in Seattle

JSeahawks

Reaction score
First, This is beautiful.

12th zpse5342e56

I'm curious, whats the mood up in Seattle? Not amongst Seahawk fans but from just the normal, everyday citizens of Seattle. Is there a lot of buzz in the air and excitement and belief in the team this year?

I've lived in the Portland area my whole life and there's always the core group of Blazer fans who are pretty passionate but I remember back in like the Drexler, Kersey, Porter era when we went to the finals a few times the whole town was buzzing with Blazermania and you could literally feel the excitement in the air anytime you went anywhere around town.

Has this team reached that level yet? Will it take a few playoff wins? Was it like that in Seattle in 2005? Or are there enough people in Seattle that dont give a shit about sports that it never reaches quite that level?

Fox0r

Reaction score
Guarded optimism from everyone I've talked to at work and in my personal life. Work in downtown Seattle, live 15 minutes north of Seattle.

yungeva

Reaction score
Oh yeah! everyone was busting out their seahakws gear today. old school hats, jerseys shirts etc. people i didnt even know where fans had gear on. This city believes. REFUSE TO LOSE! A 7 nation army couldnt hold us back :)

Shock2k

Reaction score
If the Hawks win this game, I think things will change quickly. This season probably has snuck up on a lot of casual fans, that may not know the story as deep as people on a Hawks board would. There is definately a buzz, but it's no where near what it was like in 2005 yet.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
The local tv, newspaper and radio is all a-buzz big time! It's pretty well saturated in the greater metro area... If we take care of the 'Skins this weekend, it's gonna be crazy!

Shock2k

Reaction score
By the way, that Space Needle shot has me jacked the hell up! My wife was telling me about today, but hadn't seen it yet.

chris98251

Reaction score
Don't hear a lot of talk on the street, but peeps in Seattle don't just talk, see a lot of gear though. Water Cooler talk was interesting, on my crew we have a Denver fan, my boss who's a fan for years, an Atlanta fan who is from Georgia, and us Seahawks fans. Lots of good ribbing and talk. It hasn't got hot and heavy yet since we have not been scheduled against each other. But consensus is Seattle is the real deal, nobody wants to have to go up against us, were scary good and can pop a score from anywhere on any segment of the game.

Nobody wants to come to Seattle to play anything now either, too bad the NFC championship is a low possiblilty.

SE174

Reaction score
Even people in Spokane were all Hawked out today. Gave the ones I saw a "Go Hawks!"

Throwdown

Reaction score
Its off the chain where I live, but usually is kinda unruley in the south sound area lol. But I will tell you in a few days the entire sports buzz is going to be insane!

Seatownbully

Reaction score
Funny , I noticed a lot of Hawks gear today also. Well over 30 sightings and I was out for about 5 hours shopping/ movies in Lynnwood area. I started looking for it after a while like a game. Also got a few "go Hawks". Today made me appreciate where we are as a team and community and to not take it for granted.

HansGruber

Reaction score
The hospital was decked out in 12th man flags and gear today. I was feelin it too.

12thMode

Reaction score
I am known at work as "The Seahawks Guy" since I always wear something Seahawks related to work and I have the Seahawks logo tattooed on my forearm, so people always talk about football with me. There are a lot of "bandwagon" Pats/Packers/9er fans so it has been fun talking smack with them all year. Now that we are in the playoffs and have been very hot lately, they have been pretty respectful about the Seahawks...there are still a few bitter GB fans that hope we get a chance to play them again at the Frozen Tundra! I live/work on the East side, Bellevue-Redmond area and there is definitely more buzz around then there normally would be since we have had a pretty successful season and are going to the playoffs, but it is no where near the buzz we had in 2005. But I am sure it will get to that point if not crazier if, I mean when we win a few more playoff games this year. All in all I really do feel something special brewing around town, but it might just be the coffee! ;)

sutz

Reaction score
IIRC even in 2005, the "buzz" didn't really get going until after the Washington win. Too many years of none or one and done for people to get really excited about playoffs. Recent years have seen a couple of playoff victories, so it may be a bit stronger, but I don't expect it to be really hot and heavy until after we win Sunday.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Man, I lived in Tigard back when Blazermania was in full effect. What a great time for the city of Portland that was. I could feel it in the suburbs and I was only 10 years old. It was everywhere. What a special thing it would be to reach that in Seattle for our hawks. I live in Nebraska now and wear my hawks gear every day. Lately, more than ever before here, I've been striking up random conversations and getting either, "awwww Seahawks" or "go hawks" comments every single time I go somewhere. We're starting to be noticed nationally at least...

Hawker

Reaction score
Very reserved optimism here at Boeing from what I like to call the "casual fans" - you know the type "hey man I hear we got that one corner back!" - The type that cannot name names but hopes for wins and occasionally tunes into the televised game. Most know our team (typically and in years past) struggles on the road thus the reserved optimism.

12mode: Like yourself, I too work with all too many Packers/Steelers fans and this season has made for some intense debates here at the workplace! :D

12thMode

Reaction score
Hawker":2aqf2lyf said:
12mode: Like yourself, I too work with all too many Packers/Steelers fans and this season has made for some intense debates here at the workplace! :D

I didn't hear the end of it from the Packer fans. Patriot fans gave respect after we beat them and I haven't heard a peep from a 9ers fan since we stomped them!

Largent80

Reaction score
I live in Socal and was doing a service call at a house. The guy is a Dallas fan, and he told me he is rooting for Seattle all the way. Also, when I went to the downtown flower marketplace in LA last saturday to pick up the flowers for my wedding I was wearing my Hawk hoodie and the guy at the store was all over the Hawks, saying he had a jersey coming in the mail !!!!

The Backstage in Culver City near my house will be full to capacity with transplanted Seattlites.

Its awesome.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I live in Utah and had to run to Walgreens to grab some meds for my wife on our way to my bros house to watch the Hawks vs. 9ers game the other night.

Here I am in Pleasant Grove, Utah at a Walgreens on a Sunday night and standing in line is a guy in a Hawks jersey, hat and coat (all at least 5 years old) and his wife or girlfriend in the same. Then somebody else walks up wearing a Hawks hat. I had on my Hawks baseball hat and bright green long sleeve Hawks tee. They gave me the knowing nod of "we're going to stomp 'em". It was 20 minutes before gametime and I could tell everybody was antsy. This is Broncos/Niners territory and in that long line at the store I saw 3 people wearing Hawks gear (plus my family) and one guy with a cheap 49ers hat that looked REALLY new. So the way I see it.... if Utah County can get excited about the Hawks, then I know it's building in Seattle. I am sure it's cautiously optimistic, but I feel people are ready for next year regardless of the outcome. The off-season will be here at some point either way, and people won't leave the bandwagon.

This is what happened to the M's in 1995, and it took about 8 years before Howard and Chuckles had destroyed that juggernaut of fans and that sense of optimism. Now people are ambivalent about the M's. The Hawks are on their way up and everybody knows it. The 49ers fans are scared as heck, whether they want to admit it or not. They know that the Rams have their number and we do too. They very easily could be looking at 3rd place next year (depending on who AZ brings in as a coach and QB... they could be looking at 4th place). Times are good. Enjoy them while they are here and then remember them as you prepare for next season.