QB Watson suspended 6 games

Mizak

Reaction score

must be nice to be him, huh?

Rosco

Reaction score
Once again the NFL shows how Hypocritical they are. Just wow.
Average player would have been suspended a year, easily.
This isn’t the NFL. The NFL is going to appeal looking for 12 games suspended along with a $12M fine.

James in PA

Reaction score
Got off light. Thought he'd get a minimum of 8-10 games, possibly a whole season. NFL screws the pooch once again.

chrispy

Reaction score
Got off light. Thought he'd get a minimum of 8-10 games, possibly a whole season. NFL screws the pooch once again.
The process isn't over yet. This is the ruling by the third party judge. The NFL has the option to appeal. If that happens, then Roger Goddell just decides himself what the punishment is. This ruling could stand, or Roger could decide it's too lenient.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Less than half of a year's games is a travesty.

Should be 10 games minimum. Twelve seems right to me.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Chalk one up for the gold diggers. No proof other than a woman's hand out looking for cash.

"Oh he did that to you? Um well, me too, give me money too, ah, I mean he did that to me too".

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
At first I was disappointed that he's only getting 6 games when Ridley got worse but there's some key things to consider:

-Watson was never officially charged
-The NFL (Big Rog) hasn't responded yet to my knowledge so it could be longer.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The process isn't over yet. This is the ruling by the third party judge. The NFL has the option to appeal. If that happens, then Roger Goddell just decides himself what the punishment is. This ruling could stand, or Roger could decide it's too lenient.
Correct. This is the very first case that is being handled in this manner. I guess it's due to the collective bargaining agreement. The NFLPA already stated that they will not be appealing the judge's decision. (No surprise there.) The league has 3 days to appeal. This puts Goodell in a tight spot. If he wants to stick to this new process, then there will be no appeal. If he wants to cave to the court of public opinion, then he undermines the new process.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
At first I was disappointed that he's only getting 6 games when Ridley got worse but there's some key things to consider:

-Watson was never officially charged
-The NFL (Big Rog) hasn't responded yet to my knowledge so it could be longer.
Ridley received a harsher punishment because the gambling issue directly undermines the integrity of the NFL.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Ridley received a harsher punishment because the gambling issue directly undermines the integrity of the NFL.
Right, but to my knowledge he was betting on his team to win while on injured reserve. I'm not exactly sure how that undermines the integrity of the NFL unless the integrity of the NFL is shaky.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Same punishment Roethlisburger got. If the NFL pushes for more they will raise the ire of folks who think Mahomes, Jackson, and Murray aren't getting a fair shake.

RiverDog

Reaction score
If they do appeal the decision, my guess is that they go with a full season suspension. Ideally, the league would like to accept the recommendation as this is the first case decided by an agreed upon arbitrator and they'd like to deflect some of the criticism that Goodell, who works for the owners, hands out uneven justice. If they are upset enough with the decision, IMO they go for a full season suspension.

It's true that Worthlessburger got only a 6 game suspension (later reduced to 4), but the difference between him and Watson's situation is that Worthlessburger didn't have 24 accusations, Worthlessburger had two.

The Robert Kraft effect is a tricky one. The problem the league had with Kraft is that there was no evidence. The video of him in the massage parlor was ruled illegal so they couldn't use it in their investigation and Kraft denied any wrong doing. With no evidence to contest his claim, they couldn't issue any discipline. If Kraft had taken one for the team and admitted to soliciting a prostitute, they might not have found themselves in the predicament they do today.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He very obviously did most of what he has been accused of. Even the judge agrees that he's been proven guilty to some extent.

It's just hard to suspend him for any longer given precedent, no matter how much he deserves it. The NFL is powerless here, and its their own fault for going light on previous offenses.

Don't expect the Browns to get a single favorable call henceforth, officiating-wise.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Read up a bit, not fully.

the league has two important things set up for them to challenge in this ruling.

do they? 72 hours to see.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He very obviously did most of what he has been accused of. Even the judge agrees that he's been proven guilty to some extent.

It's just hard to suspend him for any longer given precedent, no matter how much he deserves it. The NFL is powerless here, and its their own fault for going light on previous offenses.

Don't expect the Browns to get a single favorable call henceforth, officiating-wise.
The NFL is far from powerless. They can file an appeal, and guess who hears the appeal? Roger Goodell.

I also disagree that they've gone light on previous offenses. Calvin Ridley made a bet that his team would win a game, and he got suspended for the entire 2022 season, perhaps longer, and will lose over $11M in salary. DeShaun Watson had 24 lawsuits for sexual assault filed against him, and he gets 6 weeks and will forfeit less than $1M.

And if you want to talk precedent, in the only case similar to Watston's, Ben Worthlessburger had two unproven sexual assault accusations and was suspended for 6 games that got reduced to 4. If we were to use that as a guide, ie 2 games per unproven accusation, then Watson's 24 accusations would translate to a 48 game suspension, nearly 4 years. That's how outrageous this ruling is.

WmHBonney

Reaction score

It must not be so obvious considering there are ZERO indictments/criminal charges the last time I checked. The NFL only submitted 5 cases to be heard before the arbitrator....5 cases that they deemed "credible'. One of those was tossed out. So, this ruling includes exactly 4 cases.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It must not be so obvious considering there are ZERO indictments/criminal charges the last time I checked. The NFL only submitted 5 cases to be heard before the arbitrator....5 cases that they deemed "credible'. One of those was tossed out. So, this ruling includes exactly 4 cases.
It's pretty obvious based on his obsessive and near constant search for additional massage therapists. Come on.