Prime time games (or lack thereof)

seabowl

Reaction score
I understand it's about ratings and $$$ but I still cannot get over how we only have 4 primetime games where other terrible teams have many more. For instance the Cowbows have a total of at least 7 primetime/nationally televised games. The Cowboys didn't make the playoffs last year and haven't won a playoff game in like, forever. I have heard the argument that we are too good at home and because of this the NFL wants to layoff primetime home games for the Hawks. In this case why not just add more road primetime Hawk games?

I waited 30 years for us to win a bowl and get national recognition. Now because we're too good we get shafted? The life of a Hawks fan.

The Radish

Reaction score
seabowl":349ekp5q said:
I understand it's about ratings and $$$ but I still cannot get over how we only have 4 primetime games where other terrible teams have many more. For instance the Cowbows have a total of at least 7 primetime/nationally televised games. The Cowboys didn't make the playoffs last year and haven't won a playoff game in like, forever. I have heard the argument that we are too good at home and because of this the NFL wants to layoff primetime home games for the Hawks. In this case why not just add more road primetime Hawk games?

I waited 30 years for us to win a bowl and get national recognition. Now because we're too good we get shafted? The life of a Hawks fan.

Oh, you mean like Green Bay, Dallas, Tittsburgh, ninnirs, Giants?

8)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It is extremely annoying, but I'd rather the Hawks be too good and never on TV than have 7 primetime games and suck.

The Radish

Reaction score
I'm hoping for a clean sweep of prime time games this year, next year, the next year, the next year, and so on.

So then what will they do, take away any prime time games?

8)

chris98251

Reaction score
I know it's a bitch for those not in local coverage area and without a package to see them, but there are advantages, less bandwagon fans, when we get to the playoffs were a lot more of an unknown factor. They can take away a national game but they can't take away the win records. This fan base and team perform at home, National coverage or not.

They will have a hard time not televising us in the playoffs :)

raisethe3

Reaction score
What's even more disappointing is that the Hawks only have 1 home game prime time. All the others away. You know TV could be making big bucks knowing that our home games are always sold out.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We are hardly underrepresented in terms of national exposure right now and it may be time to retire the South Alaska mentality, at least for the remainder of the Pete Carroll era. I listen to a ton of national stuff and we get a huge amount of respect and discussion.

I sort of like having fewer prime time games. It messes with our schedule less and the 1:00 Sunday games are very easy logistically. It would be nice if the stadium did a better job showing other NFL footage but it's easy to re-watch games using Game Rewind; the condensed versions only take about 40 minutes and without the commercials and commentary every game is interesting.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":1j3wi8cl said:
I know it's a bitch for those not in local coverage area and without a package to see them, but there are advantages, less bandwagon fans, when we get to the playoffs were a lot more of an unknown factor. They can take away a national game but they can't take away the win records. This fan base and team perform at home, National coverage or not.

They will have a hard time not televising us in the playoffs :)
What a load of crap. Bandwagon fans aren't created until a team has serious and sustained playoff success and nobody is under the radar with modern day sports coverage especially playoff teams and or any NFL team.

chris98251

Reaction score
I disagree, National coverage markets a team, brings it's identity to people out of the area. Hard core fans of football know but casual fans not so much.

It's why the Seattle Nationally is so unknown as a city.

Holmgren had us in the playoffs pretty routinely yet we never had this exposure.

Cartire

Reaction score
AgentDib":6jp5ermx said:
We are hardly underrepresented in terms of national exposure right now and it may be time to retire the South Alaska mentality, at least for the remainder of the Pete Carroll era. I listen to a ton of national stuff and we get a huge amount of respect and discussion.

I sort of like having fewer prime time games. It messes with our schedule less and the 1:00 Sunday games are very easy logistically. It would be nice if the stadium did a better job showing other NFL footage but it's easy to re-watch games using Game Rewind; the condensed versions only take about 40 minutes and without the commercials and commentary every game is interesting.

Our record for primetime games during Petes era contradicts the notion that it messes with our schedule.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
chris98251":mv78h3qh said:
I disagree, National coverage markets a team, brings it's identity to people out of the area. Hard core fans of football know but casual fans not so much.

It's why the Seattle Nationally is so unknown as a city.

Holmgren had us in the playoffs pretty routinely yet we never had this exposure.

Absolutely agree. Before the Cowboys won Superbowls they really sucked. Once they started to win and get national coverage people fom all different placs became fans. We have been and are winning so it's time for maximum national exposure by the NFL. Four primetime games are a joke for a Super Bowl winner with all it's guns back.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ratings, ratings, ratings, ratings.

It doesn't require too much research to see that the Seahawks are historically DOMINANT on national TV. And nothing is more of a buzzkill to ratings then featuring a team that suggests an ass beating is imminent. Years ago it was also the apathy factor ("Why would I want to watch the lowly Seahawks?" says random NFL fan in the midwest or East Coast), and now it's simply that we almost always disseminate or opponent on national TV.

I know some people would call rubbish on that theory but I am convinced the network execs are aware of it better than most.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think it's weak too, but we're going to be the national game many times this year on FOX (and CBS when Denver comes here in two weeks). So in a way it kind of balances out

Cartire

Reaction score
Aros":trgzmypg said:
Ratings, ratings, ratings, ratings.

It doesn't require too much research to see that the Seahawks are historically DOMINANT on national TV. And nothing is more of a buzzkill to ratings then featuring a team that suggests an ass beating is imminent. Years ago it was also the apathy factor ("Why would I want to watch the lowly Seahawks?" says random NFL fan in the midwest or East Coast), and now it's simply that we almost always disseminate or opponent on national TV.

I know some people would call rubbish on that theory but I am convinced the network execs are aware of it better than most.

It is. And its not even for the start of the games. Its purely because it becomes harder to charge high end dollars for advertisements in the second half when they can just point to the ratings. As the game becomes a blowout, they lose the viewers, the advertisers know this and demand less price for the later commercials. Networks dont like that.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
We are just too good at home and have been destroying the road teams of late. Just trying to take the sing out of our bite.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
We will have 2 more home prime time games in the playoffs, and one neutral site prime time in Glendale, and the NFL HAS TO show those in prime time because they are all playoff games! THAT is where SEATTLE gets it's revenge! :lol:

chris98251

Reaction score
Not even this season, but going back back back, they also stopped showing us on Monday Night Football because we would beat darlings in the most unusual ways, we have the best record on Monday Night as well.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Denver for sure will be national. SF at home will more than likely be the national game and whoever is the top NFC East team (Philly?) will probably be a national game as well. So that gives us...

GB
Washington
Denver
SF (prime time Thanksgiving)
SF
Philly
Arizona

7 of our 16 games will be nationally televised. Not bad.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I cared about prime time games while living In Iowa before the Sunday Ticket existed or I could afford it. They were my only way of watching the Hawks. I couldn't care less now, and actually prefer regular Sunday games.