Premature declaration: Lock may be the perfect PeteBall QB for '22

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Why do you think Drew Locke is coachable? His accuracy on deep throws is garbage. This guys going to get eaten up.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I mean yeah, Pete likes to manage the ball and doesn't put a lot of pressure on his QB's till crunch time. Not sure why that makes Lock the perfect QB for Pete. Maybe that makes Pete the perfect coach for a sub par QB, which Lock clearly is, but not the other way around.
If you want the perfect QB for Pete we just traded him away.

Jville

Reaction score
Can this Guy fix Lock?

Dave Canales​

QUARTERBACKS​

College: Azusa Pacific
Pete Carrol mentioned in his latest press conference that Canales is fully occupied out on the road looking at draft eligible quarterbacks.

xray

Reaction score
premature ejaculation ? Huh? cheap hearing aid batteries . I'm close right ?

Own The West

Reaction score
When did Wilson find time to do scouting reports? I’m sure if he just asked, PC would have given him a copy of the team’s scouting reports.
Russell watches film and scouts opposing teams every game. He then runs down what he sees with other players like a coach, except that he's not a coach.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Did Russell’s independent scouting conflict with the team’s game plan? I have to think his hired help did a bunch of the prep for him the past handful of years.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Baker Mayfield might unseat Lock as 2022 Peteball game manager?

balakoth

Reaction score
"Turnover prone" The man has played one full season.. ROFL for god sakes.

Not that he's the answer.. but the talk here.. is kinda silly.

No.. hes no PM.. but he still has less Ints than that QB did in his rookie season ;)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Russell watches film and scouts opposing teams every game. He then runs down what he sees with other players like a coach, except that he's not a coach.
LOLOLOL Russ did a sh*tty job on Watching Film & breaking down what the Rams were throwing at him & his Teammates, eh?

BASF

Reaction score
It is weird how some of the comments about Lock seem like the guy slept with their sisters in high school.

keasley45

Reaction score
This sounds all fine and dandy but in order to win in Carroll’s philosophy with the run game and defense, both the run game and defense needs to be excellent. Almost elite level.

I have more faith in Carroll rebuilding this defense than Carroll building an elite run game again.

Carroll hasn’t had a consistent run game for a full season since Marshawn and he has been attempting to find Lynch’s production in a successor since Lynch.

Carson has a portion of the regular season, and then injuries limits him.

Penny, everyone knows about Penny.

Going to be hard to run the ball effectively throughout the year without consistency.

Carroll still doesn’t have a consistent run game and Drew Lock will absolutely need that to succeed.

Can you please explain why the defense and run game needs to be elite? What evidence is there to support that other than the fact that Pete built an elite defense and traded for an elite running back.

This team was good enough to go deep in the playoffs the year we lost our entire backfield and had to pull Lynch off of his couch. Our defense wasn't elite then, and our running game was great before the injuries, but not elite. We lost in GB with a one dimensional team and a passing game that couldn't overcome it.

The team was also good enough to make a run in 2021 when the defense turned itself around mid season and finished in the top half of the league over that span, and we had a running game that was underutilized. We lost in the playoffs to the Rams behind a pass game that never showed up.

To me, that smells like a team that needs to be good in all facets and maybe great in one. If we could have converted first downs and held the ball against the Rams with better than sub 50% passing for a half, we advance.

The MASH backfield team just needed for Penny or Carson to be in the game.

Agree, that if the qb play is questionable in terms of sustaining drives, you do need exceptional play from the D and running game to be competitive. But that's not a 'Pete ' thing, that's just football.

keasley45

Reaction score
Off season fun, I am prematurely declaring that Lock will be that perfect PeteBall QB for 2022 season. Here're why:
  1. PeteBall is all about balance, Lock won't be asked to carry the team. PeteBall's emphasis on running game, and we do have Penny and company. Our RBs will benefit from Waldron's more creative schemes, not just straight up between tackles. If Penny can be, heck, 60% as effective as his last few games, we have a feature back capable of over 100 yards per game.
  2. A strong running game empowers play-action, which Lock has proven to be good at, his QB rating under playaction was 120.5, 7 TD, 0 int, and 69.6% completion. https://www.milehighreport.com/2021/1/7/22219181/drew-lock-elite-playaction-2020
  3. Pocket time, Lock had 2.4 seconds of pocket time in Denver, same as what Russ had in 2021. 2.4 seconds is a lot, more then Rodgers, Big ben, and Brady had, same as Mahomes had. Locked suffered 24% QB pressure, Russ 29%, sounded like Lock got rid of the ball faster, or at least more willing.
  4. For PeteBall to work, the QB need to go deep to keep the defense honest. Lock has strong arms, probably not as good as Russ's, but may be good enough.
  5. Chips on shoulder, Lock has been label a bust. OK that chip is still way smaller than Russ's, after all, Russ's father went to an Ivy league school, his sister went to Stanford, he went to NC state. That's like he was the certified dumb ass of the family. But that 'bust' chip ought to motive Lock.
  6. All in coachable, no reason to think that Lock won't be coachable, in fact, probably very eager to learn.
Lock's game has holes, no doubt about that, and he ready admit that his game needs work and willing to work on them. I think at $2m, Lock is the prefect Peteball QB for this season.

Nice post, Toffee. I think it just comes down to xs and os. Shane was brought in to unlock the passing game not by making it complex, but by giving the qb the advantage in diagnosing coverages by showing the defenses multiple routes / plays from essentially the same formations, sometimes utilizing presnap motion, other times not. Either way, the qb, whoever it is, SHOULD have a schematic advantage and thus relieve him of some of the calculus involved in making the right read - ie , an average qb in diagnosing plays could be made to look pretty good. The only comp i can think of is Goff when Mcvay took over. The year prior, Goff was on the bench and in the doghouse for being perceived as a player with limited aptitude and a less than ideal work ethic. In Mcvays system, he went from doghouse to penthouse... until he ran into a defensive genius in the superbowl. They lost that game because McVays solution to overcoming that defense relied on a more sophisticated solution through the air. In other words, the complexity was dialed up, and Goff wasn't able to keep up.

In our system, with Pete, the adjustment with Shane won't necessarily be to make the passing game more complex if its stonewalled (unless the qb can) but rather, use the running game (and with Shane, one that is more 'trick') to keep things going. I say that based on what was coming out of camp last offseason.

But the other points you made are valid. Lock does have a live arm... a strong arm. And he's not afraid of slinging the ball into tighter spots. The problem he had in Denver was that because he was generally out of sync (that's how it looked in highlights) in the offense, he would often get flustered and resort to relying on just his arm to force balls up into bad spot... throwing off balance into silly coverages. But that's coachable.

I can imagine he's having it drilled into his head that if the play isn't there, hit the check, pull it down, or throw it away - in that order.

Shane will make sure he knows where his outlets are and I'd imagine that if we see a boring passing game to start the season ( 15- 25 for 187 and a TD for example), it will be because he's being trained to be safe with the ball.

What I do think is that he will be much more likely and able to hit routes between zones and in between over and under coverages. He has as many plays in his highlight real doing that than I think Russ had in 5 seasons - not a criticism of Russ, it was just never his game. He wouldn't throw there often and that limited selection of route trees was a handicap for the offense.

Will Lock have Russ's magic in improv and amazing accuracy and deep ball prowess? No. But oddly enough, I think he will be more capable of making a broader range of throws to more routes... just likely at a higher rate of turnovers - at least to start.

But he does have a skillset that I have to think Pete likes.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
...what has been expressed. Tyler not going to summer camp with Russ but then jumping to catch passes from Kaep. .....Tyler's last interview when he does praise Wilson, it's nor his football IQ, it's for his determination, his will, his positivity, his talent
Great, someone brought this thread back, so I can express what nonsense this is.
One of the all-time great combinations in Seahawks and NFL history, Wilson to Lockett; you could fill your trunk with tapes of the highlights. What's he supposed to say? Please bring me with you?
No, Tyler is too cool, and positive a dude to spin negative.
He'll need to hope that Lock, or Smith, or Baker has half the magic this season. I for one, want to see him make more of those head spinning catches.
I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
I’m all for optimism and all. As I have low expectations, I’m going to be satisfied with whatever number of wins we can manage.

But, I’d be shocked if Lock ends up being a great fit for Pete’s system. Regardless of what caliber QB can play in this offense, Lock has simply been unimpressive.