Potential replacements for PC?

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Ugh, no Payton. Probably the most overrated coach of the past 20 years. His teams constantly choked in the playoffs. One year, he even lost in the wild card round to a team that finished the regular season 7-9. Pass.
Um UGH, NO PAYTON - X 1000.

Keep him 100 miles from the Hawks. Greasy F***ing bountygate greaseball. And get him off the Fox Pregame. He makes me wanna punch babies being on that show. He should be ejected from having anything to do with the sport IMO. Plus he's a greaseball - and a twitchy weird one at that.

Did, I mention - No Payton?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ugh, no Payton. Probably the most overrated coach of the past 20 years. His teams constantly choked in the playoffs. One year, he even lost in the wild card round to a team that finished the regular season 7-9. Pass.

You've got a call from John Gruden on line #2.

Rat

Reaction score
Um UGH, NO PAYTON - X 1000.

Keep him 100 miles from the Hawks. Greasy F***ing bountygate greaseball. And get him off the Fox Pregame. He makes me wanna punch babies being on that show. He should be ejected from having anything to do with the sport IMO. Plus he's a greaseball - and a twitchy weird one at that.

Did, I mention - No Payton?
This is a good point about Payton when talking about Bountygate. Either he openly endorsed it, or was too oblivious to realize it was happening right under his nose. I dont know which is worse.

Rat

Reaction score
You've got a call from John Gruden on line #2.
Gruden is certainly in that discussion, but his reputation has taken a pretty big hit. He's overrated, but Payton is worse. Nobody is going to give a blank check to Gruden right now, while it feels like Payton seems to have his pick of jobs, on account of having one championship in 15 years with a stacked roster and a HOF QB. Look at his record in the wild card and divisional rounds: it's pathetic. I dont think most people have a particularly high opinion on Gruden anymore, and not just because he was proven to be an awful person.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Urban Meyer. What Jacksonville has been doing this year shows he had them going in the right direction. They just had no patience and let him go too early.
Isn't there a way to express sarcasm in this forum? This has to be the most laughable post I've seen in some time.

Torc

Reaction score
Payton said he will only coach in a warm climate, apparently you have never been in Seattle...
Been there many times, have lived in Western WA for the past 45 years.....

I said "if they managed" to get Payton, not "I think they will". And large buckets of money will make most any climate warm. :p

Rat

Reaction score
Isn't there a way to express sarcasm in this forum? This has to be the most laughable post I've seen in some time.
Urban has turned every program he has gotten time with into a winner. He set Jacksonville on the right course, with them being the odds-on favorite to win the division in what would have been his second year, despite the fact that he inherited the league's worst roster. He got unfairly canned because his wuss owner succumbed to public pressure because he was mean to a bad kicker - who isn't even on an NFL roster right now - and did something harmless to an attractive woman in a bar that any of us would have done if given the chance and she probably asked for it anyway. Give him this roster, and we're in the Super Bowl by at least year 2.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
Urban has turned every program he has gotten time with into a winner. He set Jacksonville on the right course, with them being the odds-on favorite to win the division in what would have been his second year, despite the fact that he inherited the league's worst roster. He got unfairly canned because his wuss owner succumbed to public pressure because he was mean to a bad kicker - who isn't even on an NFL roster right now - and did something harmless to an attractive woman in a bar that any of us would have done if given the chance and she probably asked for it anyway. Give him this roster, and we're in the Super Bowl by at least year 2.
So you're serious? ROFLMAO!

NampaHawk

Reaction score
Chris Peterson seems interesting. I think he has some of the "player's coach" traits similar to Pete.
This is who I was going to suggest, and reading through the thread surprised to see someone else mention him. He did an excellent job at Boise State and I think he did pretty well at the U of W - whether or not he could make the transition to NFL head coach would obviously be the big question - and pulling him out of retirement. Get him, maybe he could convince Kellen Moore to come over and be an assistant HC (does that even exist?) and OC (BSU reunion)...ha ha.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This is the NFL. Unfortunately, you lose the respect of your staff and men in a hot second when you act like Urban did. Have you heard the stuff his staff was saying about him?

Nah. I'm steering clear. He does better in college, a place where kids don't want to throw away their chance at generational wealth and stardom for a mutiny.

Rat

Reaction score
So you're serious? ROFLMAO!
His record speaks for itself, the Jags just let him go early out of peer pressure. Like, who the hell hasnt finger banged some random chick? I would have been fired several times by now if that mattered in the real world, and they were probably dogs compared to whoever Urban drew in. Anyway, he'd definitely have them over .500 now if they had kept him on. But oh no, he was mean to a kicker who is currently unemployed...

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
This is the NFL. Unfortunately, you lose the respect of your staff and men in a hot second when you act like Urban did. Have you heard the stuff his staff was saying about him?

Nah. I'm steering clear. He does better in college, a place where kids don't want to throw away their chance at generational wealth and stardom for a mutiny.
Darrell Bevell had more wins in Jacksonville than Meyer did as HC. The team was immediately better after Meyer left.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Depends on who you plan on picking in the draft IMO...

If you take a QB, you should select an offensive minded coach. That way he (QB) gets to keep his coach if he's successful as opposed to losing his OC to a head coaching gig if he balls out.

Also...

Be weary of of successful DC's that replaced successful DC's who've moved on. Most of the time, those guys are surrounded by superlative talent who can carry anybody. SF is a perfect example.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Darrell Bevell had more wins in Jacksonville than Meyer did as HC. The team was immediately better after Meyer left.
He was basically speedrunning "How to get your entire organization to hate you and run you out of town." It was a spectacular failure.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think it makes a lot, lot more sense that this proves that he was severely underperforming with a roster that was capable of winning...

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He was basically speedrunning "How to get your entire organization to hate you and run you out of town." It was a spectacular failure.
It was truly amazing how bad Urban Meyer was. Everyone there hated his guts. One thing I have to say is I gained a lot of respect for Trevor Lawrence through the whole ordeal. He conducted himself with a lot of class through the whole thing.

Meyer quite possibly was one of the worst head coaches that the NFL has seen. Whatever is happening in Jacksonville right now is all due to Doug Pederson, including Lawrence's development. Meyer had absolutely nothing to do with the current squads performance. The guy was a dumpster fire.

I don't see anything defensible about his time in Jacksonville. I'm dumbfounded as to why people are trying to defend him. College =/= NFL, we've seen so many successful college coaches fail in the NFL. One of them even coached the Seahawks at one time (Dennis Erickson).

morgulon1

Reaction score
His record speaks for itself, the Jags just let him go early out of peer pressure. Like, who the hell hasnt finger banged some random chick? I would have been fired several times by now if that mattered in the real world, and they were probably dogs compared to whoever Urban drew in. Anyway, he'd definitely have them over .500 now if they had kept him on. But oh no, he was mean to a kicker who is currently unemployed...
I finger bang everyone. I guess I have a problem with that. I've been fired from jobs , kicked out of restaurants.