Pick #141 Shaquem Griffin

original poster

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3j282etz said:
He'd probably make a good strong safety. The only real problem I see would be certain interceptions, but if I had a dollar for every time Earl dropped an INT I'd be a rich man.

You'd literally have about $10 lol.

FinNasty

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1eur4rdf said:
He'd probably make a good strong safety. The only real problem I see would be certain interceptions, but if I had a dollar for every time Earl dropped an INT I'd be a rich man.

He probably would be a good strong safety. And if you just want "good"... play him at SS. I wouldn't recommend that though. Why play him at a position where his physical talents are somewhat normalized?

Instead, play him at a position where his talents and ability are freakish. Play him near the LOS where he is always around the ball. Play him at WLB...

FinNasty

Reaction score
To go further... I'll be angry if you guys make him a Safety, lol. Would be taking a player that has potential to be great and completely handicapping him and would make him "just a guy"...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Outstanding pick. Very versatile player. This wasn't just some PR thing, this guy is a hell of a football player.
On another note, is someone really complaining about their hair? What does hair have to do with how a guy plays football? :?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
FinNasty":38mk146x said:
To go further... I'll be angry if you guys make him a Safety, lol. Would be taking a player that has potential to be great and completely handicapping him and would make him "just a guy"...

This may be a new idea for you, but the Hawks typically play Kam as SS close to the line on running downs making him almost another LBer. Kam's strength, nose for the ball, and ability to shed (destroy?) 0-linemen makes him invaluable in run-support. Kam also drops into coverage on passing downs, but Shaquem is faster than Kam so has upside there. Quem provides even the added benefit of a safety blitz...

I'm not saying he should be a SS, but there's more possibility there than meets the eye when we consider the way the Hawks play Kam.

Vesuve

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":13l1t16x said:
Great story, horrible pick. A luxury, niche player. The FO lost me with the last 2 picks. Somebody please get Scot McCloughan on the phone immediately.

If we can get him sober.

FinNasty

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2lhsvwc0 said:
FinNasty":2lhsvwc0 said:

This may be a new idea for you, but the Hawks typically play Kam as SS close to the line on running downs making him almost another LBer. Kam's strength, nose for the ball, and ability to shed (destroy?) 0-linemen makes him invaluable in run-support. Kam also drops into coverage on passing downs, but Shaquem is faster than Kam so has upside there. Quem provides even the added benefit of a safety blitz...

I'm not saying he should be a SS, but there's more possibility there than meets the eye when we consider the way the Hawks play Kam.

What % of snaps did Kam play as essentially a LB? Sure, if you're basically playing him in more of a hybrid role, or Whip Safety, then that's fine and is a role Shaquem is made for. If you guys ever play split safety coverages, etc... that would be a waste.

original poster

Reaction score
FinNasty":1p57n1bs said:
Ad Hawk":1p57n1bs said:
FinNasty":1p57n1bs said:

What % of snaps did Kam play as essentially a LB? Sure, if you're basically playing him in more of a hybrid role, or Whip Safety, then that's fine and is a role Shaquem is made for. If you guys ever play split safety coverages, etc... that would be a waste.

It's pretty rare that Kam drops into deep coverage.

One of the main advantages of having the best free safety in the league is he can manage the back third all on his own.

Kam was very much a box safety, he was a bit of a liability in coverage at times in honesty.

Either way, I still don't see Shaquem playing any SS.

He will be rushing the passer, spying on the QB and making plays on running backs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete's already said he wants to play Shaquem at KJ's LB spot and then go from there.

Which makes sense, the WILL LB spot can run around, make plays and blitz/edge rush...........which is what Griffin is really good at, flying to the ball.

IMO turning him into a SS is risky and would take time. Kam was a safety in college, so coaching him up on how to play more in the box wasn't a huge learning curve.

So I'd rather see Shaquem stay at the KJ or Bruce Irvin type LB position, so he's not going through some huge learning curve process transitioning to safety.

Either way, drafting Shaquem made my weekend. Love the dude, love everything he stands for and love having him as a Hawk. He's EXACTLY the kind of energy and heart we need right now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good points, letting him spy and rush the QB will be perfect for his skill set. He'll be a standout on special teams as well. As far as the pick, not only is he a very good football player, this comes at a time when the team NEEDED something very positive to happen.

original poster

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":f99z6rot said:
Good points, letting him spy and rush the QB will be perfect for his skill set. He'll be a standout on special teams as well. As far as the pick, not only is he a very good football player, this comes at a time when the team NEEDED something very positive to happen.

This is something that definitely isn't being taken into consideration enough...

I was talking to my wife about it yesterday, bearing in mind she has zero interest in football, however is a psychologist, she was saying the energy he will bring to his teammates will be off the charts.

The whole atmosphere will change when he steps on the field. Seriously.

FinNasty

Reaction score
original poster":1q8xndh7 said:
SoulfishHawk":1q8xndh7 said:

This is something that definitely isn't being taken into consideration enough...

I was talking to my wife about it yesterday, bearing in mind she has zero interest in football, however is a psychologist, she was saying the energy he will bring to his teammates will be off the charts.

Not only that... but he’s a guy where players are thinking they’re going hard in practice... and then look over at him and be like what the hell?!?”

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
original poster

Yep, it's going to be Beastquake level of insanity when Shaquem makes his first big play.

Boycie

Reaction score
I love this pick!

The kid is all heart, and a damn fine athlete.

I also love the fact that the Hawks will have a pair of twins on it, especially after the Sedins just retired from the Nucks.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":26215woz said:
Pete's already said he wants to play Shaquem at KJ's LB spot and then go from there.

Which makes sense, the WILL LB spot can run around, make plays and blitz/edge rush...........which is what Griffin is really good at, flying to the ball.

IMO turning him into a SS is risky and would take time. Kam was a safety in college, so coaching him up on how to play more in the box wasn't a huge learning curve.

So I'd rather see Shaquem stay at the KJ or Bruce Irvin type LB position, so he's not going through some huge learning curve process transitioning to safety.

Either way, drafting Shaquem made my weekend. Love the dude, love everything he stands for and love having him as a Hawk. He's EXACTLY the kind of energy and heart we need right now.

Well if you knew about him you would know he played Safety before so it is not unknown to him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1gp7apn2 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gp7apn2 said:

Well if you knew about him you would know he played Safety before so it is not unknown to him.

I know he played safety in high school, and I didn't say it was unknown to him.

But it would be a bigger transition and learning curve, than keeping him in the WILL LB position that he played at UCF. He certainly has the speed and hitting ability to play our SS, but my guess is Pete wants to groom him to take over for KJ (who's contract expires next year).

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":v6s6pyiz said:
SoulfishHawk":v6s6pyiz said:

100% agree. And also one of the bigger reasons I really wanted him here in Seattle with his brother. Awesome pick!! :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers: