PFF Player Rankings Ahead of Week 14

94Smith

Reaction score
Dremont Jones must be a big disapppintment ? Wonder where he was ranked on the Broncos?

94Smith

Reaction score
Where do they rank Purdy by the way?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Great post and couldn't agree more.
I find their formula misleading on offensive tackles, when the guy rates very high run blocking but very low pass blocking, or vice versa. You’d have to buy their premium membership to know this, unless you watch him play all year.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Quandre is being boned particularly hard by Bobby Wagner's general inability to move. PFF won't catch that.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Quandre is being boned particularly hard by Bobby Wagner's general inability to move. PFF won't catch that.
Perhaps. But you can make that argument about a lot of players. If the front 7 can't tackle...and as a team, we're ranked 29th in tackling...it exposes the safeties.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
I knew they were not high on his play, but it does not seem he has moved up much in their rankings
I don't know exactly how PFF grades players, but they must take into account the extraordinary talent which Brock Purdy is surrounded by: McCaffery, Trent Williams, Brandon Aiyuk, George Kittle, Deebo Samuel. CMC and Kittle are ranked #1 at their positions, Aiyuk is ranked #2, Trent Williams #5. Plus, with that defense, Purdy seldom has to play from behind, which helps any quarterback.

The Niners won with Jimmy G, and we've seen just how bad he's performing this season without all that talent around him. Plus Purdy played very poorly during the Niners' 3 game losing streak, throwing 5 INTS in 3 games. I don't think it's unfair at all to keep Purdy out of the top 10. They've done the same with Jalen Hurts, who's ranked below Purdy.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
They have Purdy way too low but I get that it can be hard to evaluate because of surrounding talent and other factors. I thought he was dinking and dunking but he actually rates fairly well in air yards and other metrics that tell me he's just playing good football. I don't get the hate. I would love to have Purdy.

94Smith

Reaction score
The Niners won with Jimmy G, and we've seen just how bad he's performing this season without all that talent around him.
They won with Jimmy, but it is a different clip with Purdy. They averaged 26.8 ppG under Garoppolo and have been 31 ppG under Purdy. Also the TD/INt ratio is much different. It will probably take a few years of consistency before he is ranked tops by all experts.

And the players around him is an argument for all QBs. Mahomes has looked pretty average this year with poor pass cathing Wrs and the injuries to Kelce. He has just been doing it for longer and there are less unknowns.

I just see a lot of special qualities in Purdy, but the track record is short.

94Smith

Reaction score
They have Purdy way too low but I get that it can be hard to evaluate because of surrounding talent and other factors. I thought he was dinking and dunking but he actually rates fairly well in air yards and other metrics that tell me he's just playing good football. I don't get the hate. I would love to have Purdy.
I think he is dinking and dunking certainly less than Mahomes and Hurts this year. Mahomes seems to lots of WR screens called and short pass plays. Purdy is never going to be a 60 yard down field thrower but the 20-25 yard strikes are on point

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think he is dinking and dunking certainly less than Mahomes and Hurts this year. Mahomes seems to lots of WR screens called and short pass plays. Purdy is never going to be a 60 yard down field thrower but the 20-25 yard strikes are on point
Yeah he's been a monster, hard not to root for the guy

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
They won with Jimmy, but it is a different clip with Purdy. They averaged 26.8 ppG under Garoppolo and have been 31 ppG under Purdy. Also the TD/INt ratio is much different. It will probably take a few years of consistency before he is ranked tops by all experts.

And the players around him is an argument for all QBs. Mahomes has looked pretty average this year with poor pass cathing Wrs and the injuries to Kelce. He has just been doing it for longer and there are less unknowns.

I just see a lot of special qualities in Purdy, but the track record is short.
I was mainly contrasting Jimmy G's performance with the Niners vs. with the Raiders. He was a decent game manager-type of QB for the Niners and they won with him, but when he got to the Raiders with significantly less talent, it took away his fig leaf and exposed his weaknesses. He's been absolutely horrible for the Raiders.

knownone

Reaction score
Purdy is a product of SF's talent and scheme. If anything, PFF overrates his contribution because he's rarely in difficult situations. His receivers are near the very top of the league in separation, and he still has one of the highest TWP% (yes, higher than Geno).

Also, Jimmy G didn't play many games with CMC. He's the reason the offense took another step. Not Purdy.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seems fair. Decent players, but no difference makers.
You have to use difference makers intelligently for them to be effective difference makers, at least on offense. Giving a person who doesn't know how to cook very well a $25,000 Viking stove doesn't make the person a great cook, and it also doesn't make the stove something less than amazing, even if it's not being used even close to its full potential.

94Smith

Reaction score
Purdy is a product of SF's talent and scheme. If anything, PFF overrates his contribution because he's rarely in difficult situations. His receivers are near the very top of the league in separation, and he still has one of the highest TWP% (yes, higher than Geno).

Also, Jimmy G didn't play many games with CMC. He's the reason the offense took another step. Not Purdy.
Until his TWP% actually shows up as consistent turnovers, who cares if they are turnover worthy. Fact is his ACTUAL turnovers (including fumbles) is low. Also I would be interested to see what his TWP % since the bye has been, because from my eyes there have not been many the last 4 games. Jimmy G with CMC averaged 25.4 ppg. Purdy is at 31 PPG at 21 games and counting That is nearly a TD difference in production and is very significant.

knownone

Reaction score
Until his TWP% actually shows up as consistent turnovers, who cares if they are turnover worthy. Fact is his ACTUAL turnovers (including fumbles) is low. Also I would be interested to see what his TWP % since the bye has been, because from my eyes there have not been many the last 4 games. Jimmy G with CMC averaged 25.4 ppg. Purdy is at 31 PPG at 21 games and counting That is nearly a TD difference in production and is very significant.
It's an interesting point of evaluation when a player who is rarely in high-pressure situations still has a high turnover potential.

Forget about PPG: Jimmy G played six games with CMC; his stats were 9TDs, 1Int, 1300yds, and 71cmp%. If we do some simple projections and rounding, Jimmy's season pace w/CMC would put him at around 26 TDs, 3 Ints, 3700 yards on 71cmp% with a QB rating of 110. And that's without CMC fully integrated within the offense and Jimmy battling injuries.

That's not a criticism of Purdy, by the way. He's a good QB. But he's nowhere near the Mahomes and Allens of the world.