Per Ian Rapaport; Anthony Davis Retires

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3n85jhcd said:
Popeyejones":3n85jhcd said:

Funny to read these links in retrospect, especially the part about Cohn giving the A.J. Jenkins draft selection an "F" grade and everyone freaking out about it. I guess yards per catch in college can be one relevant measure of a receiver prospect's future probability of success.

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/aj-jenk ... -bloggers/

Reading about how all of the money Davis has already lost and would have lost this year makes it easy to see why he left the game for a while. The niners don't pay for injured players even though those players were injured playing for them. I haven't heard of another team putting in so many de-escalators into contracts.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2ajzczrw said:
^^^He would have lost money by playing this year?

Uh, link?

It's in one of the links already there. If he knew he wasn't right going into the season and probably believed he wouldn't make it through the season he would be in line to lose another million or so this year. Why risk his body when he didn't feel he could make it past the de-escalators?

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ Reposted

Though it is speculation on my part, I have thought, for some time, that there is likely an inherited philosophy, from the Eddie Debartolo days, of keeping tension on players and coaches.

I acknowledge the current administration as very aggressive about winning the contract negotiation. And, I recognize them as very insistent on the inclusion of stressful provisions. But, I highly doubt this current administration has the same skill that Eddie Debartolo did in his day with the philosophy he introduced and administered. And whereas Debartolo had long term success with his philosophy, recent attempts to emulate Debartolo may prove to be counterproductive.

Davis’ contract was filled with de-escalators based on making weight, attending workouts, and achieving 50% playtime. Per a league source his salary had already de-escalated $500,000 due to lack of playing time in 2014, which happened because of injury, and was set to lose more due to weight issues. Had he not attended 90% of the team workouts this year he would have lost another $250,000 in salary, which may have been probable.

It’s a bit strange to see so many players on the 49ers team retiring when nobody else around the NFL is doing it. San Francisco may put more pressure than any team in the NFL on players to earn their money by actually being healthy which I guess could be a reason, though that is nothing more than a guess on my part. Davis had $1 million in salary tied to being active on Sunday, which can’t happen if you land on IR or are not fit to play. There are other teams who have similar clauses for players, but San Francisco probably has the highest numbers in the NFL.

Quoted source >>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/49ers-tackle-anthony-davis-retires-from-nfl/#more-9945[/urltargetblank]

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":898eibfk said:
Laloosh":898eibfk said:
Weadoption":898eibfk said:
Marvin49":898eibfk said:
hear you...but this is guys giving up MILLIONS to retire. They could try to get released or traded like AP has been trying to do. Makes ZERO sense to retire just because they don't like the owner/GM/Coaches. Players have a small window to make money. To think they are retiring because they want to escape the organization is justa pipedream from nihilist Niner fans and peeps who hate the team.

It just doesn't hold any water.

Some of the posters here suffer from a sports culture that until basically yesterday has experienced nothing but sadness and failure and are riding their hot hand, dishing out the payback.
Seattle Storm is still the greatest town franchise. Think about it.

Maybe things like this are why we give your amazing fan base such a hard time about your franchise circling the drain.

(Marvin following their drubbing in 2012)
Originally posted by Marvin49:
7) Harbaugh/Caroll/Sherman: I've had just about enough of this. I dunno if Harbaugh honked at the bus at the 'stick. Frankly I don't care. I can tell you this though...I CAN'T STAND Richard Sherman. His big beef with Harbaugh is that Harbaugh switched him to DB when he wanted to play WR. Yeah...looks like Harbaugh was WAY off the mark on that one SMDH. That dude had a very good game last night and has turned into a very good player...but he needs to shuit the hell up. I never advocate hurting players, but I have to admit I wouldn't shed a tear if someone took out his knees. I guess I can just enjoy the knowledge that he'll be sitting at home when his team is eliminated from the playoffs. I am really annoyed tho that he was even allowed to play in the game. Its a joke that he'll play 3 fulkl games while appealing his suspension. JOKE. As for Carroll, him being portrayed as having class is another big joke. The guy jumped ship from USC just before they were hit with sanctions. Coincidense? I think not. He just ran up the score last week. This thig is going to get ugly at some point and I hope we see that team again in the playoffs...AT THE 'STICK. That stadium is a crazy homefield advantage. Gratz to them for having that, but the Super Bowl is on a neutral Field...so good luck with that.
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... 0OBq1J0.99

A year later you're all whining about Bowman and how little class Seattle fans have.

The irony of Marvin complaining about people (Sherman) being allowed to play in games due to pending appeals to their suspension is the sweetest of ironies. Didn't he cite due process for Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Chris Culliver and Ray McDonald? I'm sure he'll do the same for Miller in the hope that he won't miss games.

See why we might get a good laugh out of all of the suffering?

I have no illusions about my team owning the divison, the conference or the league for an extended period of time so I'm perfectly fine with accepting the joy that will come to other teams and their fans when this era of Seattle football comes to an end. At the same time, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it and there's not a single thing any of you can do about it.

Nothing personal Marv, I'm just "sick of the high and mighty attitude".

Damn Laloosh...been holding that for 3 years? LOL.

Wasn't my finest hour. I can admit that. I was PISSED...but don't spin it into something it wasn't. The difference you had conveniently left out was that Sherman had already been suspended at that point and it was on appeal. That was before a lot of the facts had come out. Still, I jumped the gun there and I admit it. I've never kept it a secret that I really can't stand the dude.

As for those other 4 cases, we are talking apples and oranges. We are talking about players with OFF the field issues that were much more of a grey area....

....ya know what?

I'm not even gonna do this. This is only going to fishtail into a sea of other posts and I really don't have the inclination to have YET ANOTHER argument about those players in question. All it will be is my response, followed my 4 or 5 peeps calling it spin, followed by Laloosh responding, followed by several posters say "boom goes the dynamite' or something like it.

In the end, it won't matter a damn what I say because you guys really don't give 2 sh*ts what I say on the topic. Its just about wanting to feel morally superior...which was my initial point about being sick of the entire "our organization is superior to yours" high and mighty crap that has become so prevalent.

Peace.

Morally superior? I made no claims about my own morals. You're the one making excuses for your hypocritical behavior and pretending to know the minds of others (despite your "wasn't my best moment" comment). Admitting you are wrong and then defending your actions isn't exactly owning the mistake / misstep, whatever you want to call it.

I've defended your posts when I thought that they had merit and you were getting dumped on. We both know this. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I think you're full of it. This instance just happens to fall into the latter category.

"boom goes the dynamite", lol. That was good Marv. I said what I had to say. Don't care how others react but I did chuckle at the mortal combat gif.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":3kvc73hs said:
Marvin49":3kvc73hs said:
Laloosh":3kvc73hs said:
Weadoption":3kvc73hs said:
Some of the posters here suffer from a sports culture that until basically yesterday has experienced nothing but sadness and failure and are riding their hot hand, dishing out the payback.
Seattle Storm is still the greatest town franchise. Think about it.

Maybe things like this are why we give your amazing fan base such a hard time about your franchise circling the drain.

(Marvin following their drubbing in 2012)
Originally posted by Marvin49:
7) Harbaugh/Caroll/Sherman: I've had just about enough of this. I dunno if Harbaugh honked at the bus at the 'stick. Frankly I don't care. I can tell you this though...I CAN'T STAND Richard Sherman. His big beef with Harbaugh is that Harbaugh switched him to DB when he wanted to play WR. Yeah...looks like Harbaugh was WAY off the mark on that one SMDH. That dude had a very good game last night and has turned into a very good player...but he needs to shuit the hell up. I never advocate hurting players, but I have to admit I wouldn't shed a tear if someone took out his knees. I guess I can just enjoy the knowledge that he'll be sitting at home when his team is eliminated from the playoffs. I am really annoyed tho that he was even allowed to play in the game. Its a joke that he'll play 3 fulkl games while appealing his suspension. JOKE. As for Carroll, him being portrayed as having class is another big joke. The guy jumped ship from USC just before they were hit with sanctions. Coincidense? I think not. He just ran up the score last week. This thig is going to get ugly at some point and I hope we see that team again in the playoffs...AT THE 'STICK. That stadium is a crazy homefield advantage. Gratz to them for having that, but the Super Bowl is on a neutral Field...so good luck with that.
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... 0OBq1J0.99

A year later you're all whining about Bowman and how little class Seattle fans have.

The irony of Marvin complaining about people (Sherman) being allowed to play in games due to pending appeals to their suspension is the sweetest of ironies. Didn't he cite due process for Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Chris Culliver and Ray McDonald? I'm sure he'll do the same for Miller in the hope that he won't miss games.

See why we might get a good laugh out of all of the suffering?

I have no illusions about my team owning the divison, the conference or the league for an extended period of time so I'm perfectly fine with accepting the joy that will come to other teams and their fans when this era of Seattle football comes to an end. At the same time, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it and there's not a single thing any of you can do about it.

Nothing personal Marv, I'm just "sick of the high and mighty attitude".

Damn Laloosh...been holding that for 3 years? LOL.

Wasn't my finest hour. I can admit that. I was PISSED...but don't spin it into something it wasn't. The difference you had conveniently left out was that Sherman had already been suspended at that point and it was on appeal. That was before a lot of the facts had come out. Still, I jumped the gun there and I admit it. I've never kept it a secret that I really can't stand the dude.

As for those other 4 cases, we are talking apples and oranges. We are talking about players with OFF the field issues that were much more of a grey area....

....ya know what?

I'm not even gonna do this. This is only going to fishtail into a sea of other posts and I really don't have the inclination to have YET ANOTHER argument about those players in question. All it will be is my response, followed my 4 or 5 peeps calling it spin, followed by Laloosh responding, followed by several posters say "boom goes the dynamite' or something like it.

In the end, it won't matter a damn what I say because you guys really don't give 2 sh*ts what I say on the topic. Its just about wanting to feel morally superior...which was my initial point about being sick of the entire "our organization is superior to yours" high and mighty crap that has become so prevalent.

Peace.

Morally superior? I made no claims about my own morals. You're the one making excuses for your hypocritical behavior and pretending to know the minds of others (despite your "wasn't my best moment" comment). Admitting you are wrong and then defending your actions isn't exactly owning the mistake / misstep, whatever you want to call it.

I've defended your posts when I thought that they had merit and you were getting dumped on. We both know this. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I think you're full of it. This instance just happens to fall into the latter category.

"boom goes the dynamite", lol. That was good Marv. I said what I had to say. Don't care how others react but I did chuckle at the mortal combat gif.

The morally superior comment wasn't for you...it was just the genesis of some of my initial posts. I respect you here Laloosh and I agree you are one of the peeps I can have a real conversation with.

I wasn't attempting to back down from saying I shouldn't have said it. I shouldn't have. I was angry and I don't like the guy, but that's a reason, not an excuse. Everyone has a reason to do the things they do...but that doesn't make them right. Regardless, shouldn't have said it. Not sure how you think I was defending my actions there. Explaining them and excusing them are different things.

On that last line, I know you don't have control. Just sayin what was inevitably probably going to happen if we went down that road YET AGAIN and why I had no interest in doing so.

Peace.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm sure Marvin & company are right, there's no way a player would retire to spite an NFL franchise.

HEY! WAIT A MINUTE! Brett Favre totally did that to sign with the Vikings, which is why much of the Packers fan base hates him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Jville":azbo9o2p said:
^^^ Reposted

Though it is speculation on my part, I have thought, for some time, that there is likely an inherited philosophy, from the Eddie Debartolo days, of keeping tension on players and coaches.

I acknowledge the current administration as very aggressive about winning the contract negotiation. And, I recognize them as very insistent on the inclusion of stressful provisions. But, I highly doubt this current administration has the same skill that Eddie Debartolo did in his day with the philosophy he introduced and administered. And whereas Debartolo had long term success with his philosophy, recent attempts to emulate Debartolo may prove to be counterproductive.

Davis’ contract was filled with de-escalators based on making weight, attending workouts, and achieving 50% playtime. Per a league source his salary had already de-escalated $500,000 due to lack of playing time in 2014, which happened because of injury, and was set to lose more due to weight issues. Had he not attended 90% of the team workouts this year he would have lost another $250,000 in salary, which may have been probable.

It’s a bit strange to see so many players on the 49ers team retiring when nobody else around the NFL is doing it. San Francisco may put more pressure than any team in the NFL on players to earn their money by actually being healthy which I guess could be a reason, though that is nothing more than a guess on my part. Davis had $1 million in salary tied to being active on Sunday, which can’t happen if you land on IR or are not fit to play. There are other teams who have similar clauses for players, but San Francisco probably has the highest numbers in the NFL.

Quoted source >>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/49ers-tackle-anthony-davis-retires-from-nfl/#more-9945[/urltargetblank]
The first time I heard how the Niners do per game structuring more than most, I thought it was a strange way to do business.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1xz02yaz said:
I'm sure Marvin & company are right, there's no way a player would retire to spite an NFL franchise.

HEY! WAIT A MINUTE! Brett Favre totally did that to sign with the Vikings, which is why much of the Packers fan base hates him.

:lol: that the only example you could come up disproves your point.

Favre had a year left on his Packers deal.

The Packers announced that Aaron Rodgers would be the starter, and Favre said he would just retire.

He then changed his mind and said he wanted to keep on playing, so he forced a trade.

He wanted to be traded to the Vikings, but was traded to the Jets,

After that year he was a FA and signed with the Vikings.

What this tells us is that even a 38 year old QB who wants to keep on playing would force a trade to a team he doesn't even want to play for before retiring. Through this lens, that Anthony Davis wants to keep playing and is opting to instead just sit around for the five years left on his 9ers deal and not play and not make any money rather than forcing a trade is even more preposterous, which seems unimaginable given how preposterous the claim is to begin with. Thanks for the assist, love. ;)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":opxj0rd1 said:
Popeyejones":opxj0rd1 said:
^^^He would have lost money by playing this year?

Uh, link?

It's in one of the links already there. If he knew he wasn't right going into the season and probably believed he wouldn't make it through the season he would be in line to lose another million or so this year. Why risk his body when he didn't feel he could make it past the de-escalators?

Oh, I took you to mean by losing money that he would come out in the red, not just potentially earn 5 million instead of 5.5 million.

As for the 9ers and their de-escalators, here's what's going:

1) first things first you have to accept Kap's de-escalators as a special case, which is explained at the asterisk (*) below.

2) The 9ers and the general use of de-escalators:

TL;DR: "de-escalators" are a tool to get comp picks while still signing their players to competitive salaries.

A) It's absolutely true that the 9ers probably use de-escalators more than other teams, but that's only because the 9ers de-escalators go under a different name for most other teams: instead of being "de-escalators" for most other teams they are "bonuses." So, Anthony Davis has money taken out of his base salary when he DOESN'T meet things like workout, weight, and per-game targets. Everyone else has these same types of things in their contract (workout, weight, per-game) but just calls them "bonuses."

B) Why the 9ers do this (taking from base salary rather than adding to base salary, which is just different paths to the exact same place) is because unlike most teams they don't tack on fake years to the end of contracts to make them look bigger. If you sign a FA contract with the 9ers, compared to most other teams in the league, there's an overwhelming chance that you'll actually play through that contract.

This isn't just because the 9ers are generous and all around good people (far from it!), it's because like the Ravens and Seahawks they play the comp pick game with the best of them, and real contracts without fake years tacked on allow their FAs to be signed away rather than being cut when the "fake" money hits.

C), So, the problem the 9ers have is that they're not tacking on fake years to the end of their contracts so that they can play the comp pick game, but that means that compared to other teams who do tack on fake years, it makes 9ers players LOOK like they're getting paid less even though they're not (no fake years and all). Their solution is, rather than adding in workout, and weight and per-game and etc. bonuses to their deals (which sometimes don't get reported when deals are announced) , they bump up the base salaries (which always get reported) and frame these other things as "de-escalators" so that their contracts look to be on par with contracts that have fake years on them.

*Why Kap's de-escalators are a special case: Kap's de-escalators are NOT of the variety that usually come as "bonuses" from a lower base salary rather than "de-escalators" from a higher base salary. Instead, they're a key component (if not the key component) of his repeatedly stated desire to have signed a team friendly deal. His de-escalators are both individual and TEAM based, and are designed to free up cap room to bring in more guns if either him or the team on the whole is not successful.

Jville

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3uiu5jao said:
Jville":3uiu5jao said:
^^^ Reposted

The first time I heard how the Niners do per game structuring more than most, I thought it was a strange way to do business.

I think It counter to what many of us are familiar with. They are not features and structures I would agree to. And, they certainly are not something a work crew should be burdened with . When linked to other details in the contracts of other employees associated with this employer, it reveals a bigger and more encompassing story than that of a singular announcement about the departure of an individual employee.

Most of us are familiar and comfortable with base plus reward (carrot) incentives. But, there are mechanisms in the Davis contract that suggest more of a stick approach. Some of these bigger contracts run counter to workplace tradition. And, I think they spotlight an administration that, above all else, stresses cost and risk avoidance. Unfortunately, I sense far to much reliance on the stick and whip. Furthermore, this use of economic punishment on those who fail to meet employer expectations acts as a caustic extension for instilling fear in others.

The use of insurance and insured investment analogies are prevalent in such thinking. With the Anthony Davis contract, we see details that position the employee as the guarantor. An employee required to self-insure the performance demands of his employer. So if the employee fails to provide satisfactory services in the eyes of their employer, the employer effectively can demand an annual premium rebate from the employee. Pumped up numbers also project a false image of an exceptionally generous employer while in reality the employer's actual commitment in substantially less.

The driving forces behind the Anthony Davis details dove tail with those that pumped up the Colin Kaepernick numbers announced just last year. The premium funding for insuring Colin Kaepernick's guarantee against injury was funded by Colin the employee. Further details revealed that the contract promoted as a big mufti-year agreement, was in fact a series of one year options. In Colin's case, the mechanism was an annual drop dead decision date, on April Fools Day, to extend or not extend for another season. I'm inclined to acknowledge that the York led administration believes such minimum cost and minimum risk mechanisms make high profile assets and asset contracts much more trade-able in addition to less risky and potentially less expensive.

A number of years ago, John York emphasized profit as #1 York family priority. But, he didn't elaborate as to at what price. Jed York boasted that the 49ers would lead the way in becoming "The" NFL franchise of the 21st century. But, he didn't elaborate on methods.

An aversion to risk and investment costs isn't necessarily troubling when properly balanced. And those aversions do not mandate the methods emerging under this administration. Unfortunately, some of the mechanisms chosen. invite reasonable doubt as to the long term effects of York's 21st century administration on the health and the commitment to the men on the field ...... who do the heavy lifting.

In any case, the DeBartolo Forty-Niners have faded into a distant memory.

Whereas, the York & York & York Investment and Holding Company is a departure from those days of glory.

mikeak

Reaction score
There was a Browns qb that got sat for the last game and all speculations were so that he wouldn't earn a bonus. Can't remember who it was, but when you have large amounts to bonuses then you really set yourself up for arguments internally unless you got an flawless history on how to handle such things.

Regardless you would think you allowed all of them to be protected for injury but I guess not.

Weadoption

Reaction score
were there any more retirements today?
Bomb threats or kidnappings maybe?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Not unless you are a Cheatriots fan, then your players are having mythical deer jumping out in front of their car while driving drunk at 3:30 in the morning, then running away from mythical deer and accident scene. I'd say you dodged a bullet for today. 8)

Hawks46

Reaction score
titan3131":23rt3qlu said:
quote from niners forums

"WHO RETIRED ON HARBAUGH ?????

NOOOOBODY !!!!!!!"

This was my favorite one as well.

Maulbert

Reaction score

Laloosh

Reaction score
Maulbert":3k8wflu9 said:
hawknation2015":3k8wflu9 said:
Some Seahawks' fan used all 3 of his wishes on the 49ers' offseason. He could've had super powers or a trillion dollars, but he wasn't interested. :34853_doh:

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... KEYyoec.99

You're welcome. :th2thumbs:

Nope. We don't need wishes to make the 49ers look like a trainwreck.

Karma.

Apparently Karma is a real thing... I never would have believed it until now.