Per ESPN/Schefter, Hawks trade for OT Duane Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":328np63u said:
Though - again - it's the run-blocking dividends that I really want to see.

That's the beauty of having a great LT, it's a success chain reaction across the entire line and opens up so much more from the offense.

Run game, pass pro, protection scheme, playcalling, it's all positive.

Clowney is a perfect example, we had to chip him, double team him and keep a back or TE in on the majority of plays because he was DESTROYING Odhiambo. When you have a LT like Brown who you trust to go one on one with? Opens up so much it's ridiculous. Now you can split Jimmy out wide more often, use McKissic/Prosise more, run the ball more effectively to open up the play action, which Russell is amazing at.

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
:lol: :lol:
chris98251":mtqk0997 said:
Well I hope that the Cable Curse doesn't fall on Brown. I would hate to see him at RG instead of LT simply because Cable wants to see his versatility.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
As this trade settles in my excitement can't help but keep growing. Man I love this trade. Got some value out of Lane, got a top 10 LT, lets Fant and the young guys develop with a true leader and experienced vet in the locker room, commands millions less than Okung is right now.

I'm not worried about future draft capital. PC/JS have proven they can accumulate it well and I'd rather take a proven LT at this point than bank on a second or third round pick being thrown into the fold and "developed" by Cable.

mikeak

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2qq519jg said:
Meh, since it's Russ, I'm sure plenty of people will shoot down the idea that he could have suggested it anyway. Let alone just saying that he's somehow doing it for his own good :roll:

Lets be clear -- RW if anything benefits from this. He gets cash quicker. He converts future salary to signing bonus paid now but spread over the cap for multiple years.

This is not criticism - just saying there is zero disadvantage for a player doing this and a slight advantage getting the money quicker so it can earn interest / be invested sooner

Chicago has it in their player contracts that they can do this without even asking their players.....

A-Dog

Reaction score
A few thoughts:

1) Yes, we gave up a 2019 2nd rounder, but in terms of present value, it's only worth a late 2018 3rd rounder since it's not in the upcoming draft, but a year after.

2) Jeremy Lane was benched, was overpaid, has always been a knucklehead, and probably would have been cut in the offseason. We gave up a some depth but Shead will be coming back soon and there are several promising CBs on the practice squad and injured reserve (DeAndre Elliott). Not a big loss.

3) 5th rounder... meh, who cares?

4) People are being incredibly harsh on Rees Odhiambo. The guy is in his 2nd year, was thrown in at LT unexpectedly, has improved as the season went on, and I predict he will be a core guy on the OL for a while. Yes, Clowney had a field day, but Clowney is an absolute FREAK who is capable of doing that to any LT in the league. Odhiambo kept battling and in the end Russ had enough time to win the game. The acquisition of Brown will allow Odhi to move back to his more natural position, LG, which will be open for competition next season as I doubt we re-sign Joekel.

5) When the trade rumors for Brown surfaced, seemingly everyone on this board assumed we'd have to give up JG or Richardson or someone with a big salary. I posted multiple times about how we didn't have to give up anyone because we could restructure a contract or two to open up space. For a player, it's a no-brainer to have salary converted to bonus. There is absolutely no downside. Wilson didn't really do the org a huge favor, he just had to say yes to more guaranteed money that would be paid to him sooner.

6) We aren't going to have a lot of draft capital over the next two seasons, especially if we re-sign Graham and Richardson, which I hope we do, since we wouldn't be getting comp picks for them. This is why the 2017 draft was incredibly important in terms of keeping the championship window open. Guys like Griffin, Hill, and Thompson have to come through as the LOB ages - so far so good on that front, as Griffin is starting and Hill and Thompson have made the active roster. Pocic is starting now, Jones is solidly in the rotation, Darboh is seeing some snaps. If Carson can come back without a drop-off, and McDowell gets on the field and produces, this will have been a hugely successful draft.

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":rbutkyer said:
Sgt. Largent":rbutkyer said:
I know some people don't understand how important the LT position is, but other than QB, it's THE most important position on the team.

452 yards, 4 touchdowns.

That's a lot like pointing to them patriots game last year as proof that our line was okay.
Many more data points over the past two years to indicate the offense cannot operate well enough under a certain threshold of blocking.
The money spent on Britt, Joeckel, and now brown seems to me to indicate the FO has reached the same conclusion.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1ffbyvm6 said:
Self preservation on RW's part!

perhaps or maybe just doing the right thing. Pretty sure if they asked him to do it for another player even a defender if it helped the team he would do it

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I knew it wouldn't take long before people would act like it's no biggie. Because....it's Russell Wilson. :2thumbs:

Anthony!

Reaction score
mikeak":2d5xvbwm said:
SoulfishHawk":2d5xvbwm said:
Meh, since it's Russ, I'm sure plenty of people will shoot down the idea that he could have suggested it anyway. Let alone just saying that he's somehow doing it for his own good :roll:

Lets be clear -- RW if anything benefits from this. He gets cash quicker. He converts future salary to signing bonus paid now but spread over the cap for multiple years.

This is not criticism - just saying there is zero disadvantage for a player doing this and a slight advantage getting the money quicker so it can earn interest / be invested sooner

Chicago has it in their player contracts that they can do this without even asking their players.....

except he losses, more in taxes as 6.25 in a lump sum is a higher tax bracket. Eh loses about 20% more this way

Anthony!

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2wudodan said:
I knew it wouldn't take long before people would act like it's no biggie. Because....it's Russell Wilson. :2thumbs:

Of course, if it were Sherman they would be all over it, its Wilson so its no big deal the fact he loses an additional 20% in taxes is irrelevant. Yes, a lump sum is taxed at a higher tax bracket.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":n7f1ix6w said:
Either way, my original point on the subject was that moving Lane doesn't clear cap space for Brown. Brown makes too much money. This is why I assumed we'd either extend Graham or Restructure Brown. They chose to go with restructuring Wilson, which works too, but it now has moved that money from this season forward, eating a little more cap room each season moving forward. We're going to have to do some real interesting contracts this off season to keep players here and happy or we'll be making some tough decisions on who not to bring back (or a combination of the two).

Kidhawk - sorry but this is one where you need to accept that you have been incorrect (which happens to all of us). You have been stating that moving Lane doesn't create any cap room which was not correct.

It did create cap room this year and they also re-did RWs contract to create more cap room

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-seaha ... -109751052

On Monday, the team traded cornerback Jeremy Lane, a 2018 fifth-round pick and a 2019 second-round pick for Brown but they still were short $1.4 million to fit Brown into their cap situation. Enter Russell Wilson.

He converted $6.26 million of his salary into a bonus and pro-rated over the remaining three years of his contract; although that bonus falls into his hands immediately, per Brandt. The move created an additional $4.1 million for the Seahawks to play with in 2017 and not only lets them complete the deal but gives them breathing room for the remainder of the season.

https://overthecap.com/player/jeremy-lane/1547

Dead Money History

Seahawks
2018 $2,500,000

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":kwx98xqq said:
Brady re-structures, he's treated like a hero.
Russ does it, meh...

I've seen like one "meh" this entire thread, so not sure why you're acting like no one's praising Russell.

And it's not like Russell just gave up millions, he got a fat 2.6M bonus check today, and gets the rest deferred.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawk45":3jdoj0cu said:
MontanaHawk05":3jdoj0cu said:
Sgt. Largent":3jdoj0cu said:
I know some people don't understand how important the LT position is, but other than QB, it's THE most important position on the team.

452 yards, 4 touchdowns.

That's a lot like pointing to them patriots game last year as proof that our line was okay.

And the Jets, and the Eagles, and the Lions...

hawk45":3jdoj0cu said:
Many more data points over the past two years to indicate the offense cannot operate well enough under a certain threshold of blocking.

Like what? Getting 10 wins every year? Reaching the playoffs every year? Wilson never ceasing to look like a franchise QB every year?

If you're referring to the fact that they didn't get to the Super Bowl, that's wayy to generic a conclusion to latch onto the OL, especially given that there were other factors at play.

The OL varies in importance based on the offense and the QB involved. Some styles of play and some OCs get their QBs sacked more than others. Some QBs sack themselves more than others. The QB has a huge amount of influence on the performance of the offense - and on his own line.

So, as a front office, you make sure that you don't overpay for one of the least important parts of your team. That's been a much more tangible data point and a much more visible part of their strategy over the past two years - that they're going cheap on the OL and putting the money into defense. The result is consistently close games that can be won with one good drive in the 4th quarter.

Sure, you can overdo it. That's what happened when they went too young and raw in 2016. Way too young and raw. That, more than anything, is why we're having to splurge now. But the general strategy itself remains understandable to me. When you already have a QB who can protect himself with his legs, taking money from the defense to further protect that QB is a misallocation. And I don't think Pete and John see any results from the Wilson years that are bad enough to deter them from that strategy.

mikeak

Reaction score
Anthony!":307sz9q7 said:
mikeak":307sz9q7 said:
SoulfishHawk":307sz9q7 said:

except he losses, more in taxes as 6.25 in a lump sum is a higher tax bracket. Eh loses about 20% more this way

Not correct

Holy smokes - you take facts as criticism incredible

Do you seriously not think that RW is already in the highest tax bracket?

Do you seriously think that this bumped him 20% in taxes vs getting it over the next few years?

Lets look at taxes shall we

If you get paid salary for games then you pay taxes in the states that you play in. So when RW goes on the road he pays taxes in those states

Suddenly it was turned into signing bonus earned in the state of Washington

HE JUST REDUCED HIS TAXES

This is not a negative, it is not a positive - it is facts. I said the same thing when Brady did it and heck the same when Cutler did it. It is done in the NFL and it most often benefits the player doing it. The only time it would not is if you are in a taxable state and then are traded to a non-taxing state afterwards

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":vfr54c4x said:
SoulfishHawk":vfr54c4x said:
Brady re-structures, he's treated like a hero.
Russ does it, meh...

I've seen like one "meh" this entire thread, so not sure why you're acting like no one's praising Russell.

And it's not like Russell just gave up millions, he got a fat 2.6M bonus check today, and gets the rest deferred.

There are a few others who have made light of it, and again yes 2.6 mil today and he loses more in taxes due to the lump sum payment which is at a higher tax rate. So it is a big deal.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The draft picks are less of an issue for me than the salary cap situation. We'll probably get a compensatory pick back in 2020 if we don't resign Brown. Unfortunately there isn't a way to avoid the salary cap; our 2018 squad will have less resources to work with relative to the rest of the league than our 2017 squad does.

I'm just surprised so many of you are gung-ho with the idea of closing the window on our team. I'd rather we prop it up with youth and keep on winning for the foreseeable future. Maybe it's just the same people who said our window was closing in 2015 and will still claim it is closing in 2020. I don't see why we'd rule out winning down the road with Clark/Reed/Richardson/McDowell/Griffin/Coleman/McDougald/Hill/Thompson and a few more years of draft picks and free agents.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Anthony!":6ek0bdrr said:
There are a few others who have made light of it, and again yes 2.6 mil today and he loses more in taxes due to the lump sum payment which is at a higher tax rate. So it is a big deal.
It really isn't. The tax implications (potentially even a benefit) are small potatoes against time value of money over a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts